Bodine's Tavern

Not sure if Wolfspider will see this, but does anyone know what map he is referring to?
Pinelandpaddler:

I am not aware of any published maps that feature the words "Skit mill" on it. The 1812 Watson map certainly includes a mill symbol located at the later site of Harrisville, as does Thomas Gordon's 1828 map, which Gordon labels "Hallock's" for John Hallock, the castor oil evangelist. The 1849 Otley & Whiteford map features the layout of McCartyville. If Wolfspider05 had obtained an early survey of the area, that might, indeed, include the words "Skit mill." Primary sourcing for such a survey would be the Surveyor General's Office surveys at the New Jersey State Archives. The archives website features a searchable database of early land records and you want to review the entries.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Pinelandpaddler:

I am not aware of any published maps that feature the words "Skit mill" on it. The 1812 Watson map certainly includes a mill symbol located at the later site of Harrisville, as does Thomas Gordon's 1828 map, which Gordon labels "Hallock's" for John Hallock, the castor oil evangelist. The 1849 Otley & Whiteford map features the layout of McCartyville. If Wolfspider05 had obtained an early survey of the area, that might, indeed, include the words "Skit mill." Primary sourcing for such a survey would be the Surveyor General's Office surveys at the New Jersey State Archives. The archives website features a searchable database of early land records and you want to review the entries.

Best regards,
Jerseyman
Thanks, Jerseyman. Great to see you here, as always. Do you have any info on Bodine's Mill?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Pinelandpaddler:

Best regards,
Jerseyman
The mill symbol on Watson's map, assuming it is more or less accurately placed (a big assumption, I know), appears to correspond to the location of Bodine's mill! It is downstream from the confluence of the West and East branches of the wading river and just north of Bodine's Tavern and bridge.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
The mill symbol on Watson's map, assuming it is more or less accurately placed (a big assumption, I know), appears to correspond to the location of Bodine's mill! It is downstream from the confluence of the West and East branches of the wading river and just north of Bodine's Tavern and bridge.
I’ve been digging but haven’t had much luck unfortunately. A lot of the files that I’ve obtained did come from the state archives. Im absolutely terrible at record keeping my accountant hates me.

Reactions: Boyd