Boyd's Map of the Pines beta available

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"Well it seems like FOREVER, but my new map is finally available for download here: Boyd's Map of New Jersey 2012"

I've been using GPS for years, since Garmin's earliest models, but since mapping units came available I've only used Garmin's own maps. I'm still using somewhat old technology, Garmin 276C with Garmin's own proprietary and antique and expensive memory. I'm not at all up to date on map technology. Question is - can this map be put on to the GPS itself or only on to the computer?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks everyone for your help. I figured someone went through this already. Boyd, that's an interesting observation on startup speed vs card size.

Ed

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"Well it seems like FOREVER, but my new map is finally available for download here: Boyd's Map of New Jersey 2012"

I've been using GPS for years, since Garmin's earliest models, but since mapping units came available I've only used Garmin's own maps. I'm still using somewhat old technology, Garmin 276C with Garmin's own proprietary and antique and expensive memory. I'm not at all up to date on map technology. Question is - can this map be put on to the GPS itself or only on to the computer?
Right into the GPS, and aerial maps as well.
MY Garmin 60cs will no longer get a lock so it was time to move up. Besides even when it was new the 60cs would almost never get a lock in a car or house. I borrowed a 450 and it's way better.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
EC - Is that 450 the Garmin Montana? Last time I looked into this, months ago, that was the new model I had my eye on, but I was going to wait until my 276 busted. There were software bugs in the Montana (if that's what you're talking about) back then. Presumably that's all been straightened out by now.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
EC - Is that 450 the Garmin Montana? Last time I looked into this, months ago, that was the new model I had my eye on, but I was going to wait until my 276 busted. There were software bugs in the Montana (if that's what you're talking about) back then. Presumably that's all been straightened out by now.

No Pan, it's an Oregon 450.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I updated the firmware on my Oregon today. I was never notified by BaseCamp until today that there were numerous updates since I bought mine. I noticed it says one of them improves the performance which hopefully will improve the accuracy which has been poor so far compared to my 60csx. I went from 3.8 to 5.2 on the firmware.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Guy, I received an update message when connected to Basecamp, but never did it as I was not sure what/how to backup as the message said. Did you backup anything before the update?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I removed the card and just copied all the info in the unit itself to my drive. I ran the update with new batteries as they recommend and in no time at all it was updated. I then put the card back in and everything was still intact. I keep all my maps on the card.

Here are the changes since my version. The red ones are the most interest to me. One of them should solve the mystery as to why on PBX hikes my Oregon never matched the rest of the members odometer reading.

Changes from version 5.10 to version 5.20:
Fixed potential power-up issue introduced in previous release.

Changes from version 5.00 to version 5.10:
Improvements to the geocaching experience. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html) for more information.
Fixed a potential hang on startup when importing large numbers of waypoints, tracks, routes, or geocaches
Fixed issue with very long geocache descriptions
Fixed shutdown when reviewing certain geocache descriptions
Fixed issue where the photo orientation would be incorrect in the photo viewer
Fixed potential shutdown while scrolling through Garmin Connect photos
Fixed issue where some auto-archived tracks would be named in English regardless of user language
Fixed bug that could cause some geocaches to not import

Changes from version 4.80 to version 5.00:
Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines
Fixed issue where geocache icons would sometimes not draw on the map while using Garmin GB Discoverer™ maps

Changes from version 4.50 to version 4.80:
Added support for advanced geocache logging with OpenCaching.com. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/08/advanced-geocache-logging-with-opencachingcom.html) for more information.
Fixed issue with multilingual custom POI files

Changes from version 4.20 to version 4.50:
Updated magnetic Earth field data
Improved GPS performance
Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)
Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200
Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS
Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list
Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing
Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name
Fixed issue with moon not showing on sun and moon page
Fixed issue with photo viewer not displaying correctly
Fixed issue with progress bar displaying properly on power up
Fixed issue with waypoint distances showing significantly off in the waypoint manager
Fixed issue with 3D view
Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point
Fixed shutdown when more than the maximum number of JNX files were present
Fixed 'Search Near' functionality on Hunt & Fish and Sun & Moon pages
Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size
Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files
Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field
Fixed problem with profiles and the fields on the map page
Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings
Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs
Fixed an issue with archived tracks not displaying properly
Fixed an issue with having too many custom symbols on the device
Fixed an issue with renaming a waypoint immediately after creating it
Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

Changes from version 4.00 to version 4.20:
Fixed shutdown related to the current track that occurred after updating the software
Fixed a hang that occurred when a unit had 1000 auto-named waypoints

Changes from version 3.90 to version 4.00:
Added support for Chirp™.
Fixed problem with certain custom maps.
Fixed problem with certain JPEG images.
Fixed issue with Sight 'N Go and user north reference.
Fixed potential hang on start up after an upgrade.

Changes from version 3.80 to version 3.90:
Fixed issue while using spell search in route planner.
Fixed issue on 3D View where vehicle could move after using the map.
Fixed issue where tracks could not be disabled from the map.
Fixed issues with odometer distance.
Fixed shutdown while panning the map for extended periods of time.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Question is - can this map be put on to the GPS itself or only on to the computer?

Is this your GPS? https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=168&pID=233

If so, I'm pretty sure my map will work if you switch it into automotive mode. Actually, I believe these units are popular with people who like the "classic" Garmin style of map rendering, since used ones are relatively inexpensive. I even thought about getting one myself, but was turned off by the proprietary Garmin data cards.

You should be able to use Mapsource or Basecamp to send a section of the map to your GPS. You will just need to pick an area that fits within your memory limits. The map is broken into tiles that match USGS 24k quads, and each of them is typically in the 1 to 2 MB size range. When you select an area with the map tool in Mapsource, you will see a list of the quads you've chosen in the left window pane, and the total memory size required will be shown at the bottom.

See this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Only caution is that sending another map will erase any other map that you previously sent in many cases. You should backup all files on the device before doing anything. Depending on how your model works, it may mount as a USB disk. If so, you can copy the files to your computer.

If not, use Mapsource Transfer > Receive From Device > Maps and see if that will load any maps to your computer. If so, you can save them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yesterday Garmin released a new beta version of Basecamp for both Windows and Mac that has a very impressive list of improvements based on user feedback. Too many to list here - see this for the Windows version https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=24413 and this for the Mac version https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=24470

Since it is BETA, proceed with caution and be sure to backup your data before installing. I have downloaded the Windows version but have not yet installed it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Boyd. You deserve that mention and it is long overdue.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Have you ever noticed in the Oregon 450 'About' page, the name of the copyright person is named Boyd?

Completely understandable :smug:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you upgrade your firmware 46er? I don't see Boyd. In any event, I bet it is a hack and I know who did it :D

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Did you upgrade your firmware 46er? I don't see Boyd. In any event, I bet it is a hack and I know who did it :D

Guy

Yep all done, now at 5.20. Will be loading some solid color backgrounds tonight, then on to Shenandoah & Great Smokies NP's during the week.

If Boyd's last name begins with an O, he is the doer of the deed, but I think it is because I have his map enabled. :eek:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yes, that's me. :) The copyright info for all maps installed on your device are displayed at boot time and also if you go to the menu that lists software info. When you create a map, there's copyright info embedded in each map tile. In Basecamp or Mapsource, if you go to Manage Map Products you will also see the copyright info as well as some information on what software was used to create the map.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just encountered a problem with attaching the Oregon to the computer; it causes problems with my security software, Trend Micro. Just the act of connecting the USB port gets the error message and the system slows down with a restart clearing things out. I opened problems with Trend and Garmin. It is still useable, albeit slow.