Campers at Columbus?

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Axeman,

>>Just to let you know Sean disappears for months on end.

Well, just one month this time. This past weekend I had a total surprise meeting with one of the Camp Columbus Callahans and her family who it turns out live not far from me in California, and I'm again inspired to unearth the times past in New Jersey. She had a camp photo taken during one of the weeks I was there (and so was she), and there I was and there so many folks I still remember also were (the priest I've been trying to remember was Father Kelty). Sometimes all it takes is an old photograph....

Axeman, many thanks for your notes about Kresson, the Square Circle, etc. My father died in 1965 and I'd think that most of his Square Circle compatriots are gone as well (he would have been 90 this year). Chief amongst them was an archer/bowhunter named Jim Loftis, and I also remember the name Albright but no others. Every spring-early autumn Sunday and some Saturdays from about 1961 through 1964 we went to the Square Circle and my father shot the field archery course once or twice each time. I often shot too but was easily bored with not shooting as well as my father or my sister did.

Instead of shooting I typically wandered around to the other side of the lake where there was a large brushpile inhabited by bluebelly lizards (aka eastern fence lizards, Sceloporus undulatus). Mr Evans at Evans pet shop in Haddonfield paid me $1.50 for each adult bluebelly I brought him on Monday and so I had a little lizard-catching cottage industry going for awhile. Later he reduced it to $1.00 and I chose to discontinue the industry. Nowadays I'd be horrified if my son (I don't have one) proposed the same business relationship. I caught my first bluegill and my first trout in Square Circle lake, and one winter day I almost went through the ice when I skated beyond the limit post. I felt the ice cracking under my skates and I think the only thing that saved me besides keeping my cool (literally) was that in those days I weighed about 70 pounds in winter clothes. That experience ranks with just a couple of others as being capable of giving me a chill to this day. But otherwise I have good memories of the lake and I never mentioned my near disaster to my parents.

My father would have liked to become a successful bowhunter, but it was not to be. Each deer season during those same years we (my father, me, and my younger brother) went to Lebanon on Saturday (is hunting still closed on Sunday in New Jersey?). Several times he could have had a shot and something always got in the way, and I suspect that in truth he was just as happy to be in the woods and not to have to deal with a deer carcass. His friend Mr. Loftis invariably scored on the first or second day of the season, which messed up the New Jersey FG hunter success stats to no end. I did appreciate the challenge of bowhunting--my uncle and cousin who lived in Morristown were confirmed firearms people and were part of that crowd during the three-day season in December. They often connected and to me it seemed far too easy compared with archery hunting. In any case, my father died never having collected his deer, but he was hell on the Square Circle target butts.

It's good to know some of all that survives. I can't imagine that things are as open around the Square Circle as they were back then, but I guess if the club is still there then there must still be some space. I'll never forget the club,the lake, or the ice.

Thanks

Sean

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
TeeGate...

Anyway.. I keep hijacking Sean's thread. I am going to give myself a cease and desist.

Don't be silly--I started the thread clear back in 2006 and I must have struck a nerve or two because it has thrived ever since with lots of input from lots of knowledgeable folks like you. I think that's cool but I never owned it and I thank everyone who has taken the time to share experiences and memories of the camp and of some other pieces of my long-gone youth in southern New Jersey. Please don't cease, and whatever you don't do, don't desist....

Sean

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
SC is still there and still kicking. I shoot the field targets at least once or twice a week. Traditional Archery is my new passion with my goal being to take a pheasant on the wing this next fall. My boys will go fishing for the first time this spring at the lake.

The area around there has grown some with some commercial growth and residential on the far back side. That big brushpile is gone or wittled down to a smaller pile. I was over on that side of the lake last weekend to post some Club Memebers Only signs.

If you ever get back this side of the Mississippi send me a PM and I would love to have you out there as a guest.

donjuanmonn

Apr 7, 2008
Deland Florida
I'm in there

Hey,Great Picture.
I think I am Back Row Center.
John Sherry Director is up front center with the white short sleeve shirt.
Thanks for the flash-back

Gary Smith

Apr 30, 2007
Redwood City, CA
A few photos from the summer of 1958. I turned 13 that August and attended the camp as a Season Camper. During the summer of 1957 I spent just 1 week in camp after my Dad passed away and my poor Mom really needed a break.
I have the full width photos from both years being processed on to CD's and will post them soon.

Cheers to all!

Gary Smith

Oh well....looks like the file size of just 1 of the photos exceeds the max 200 KB allowed. All my photos are under 500 KB but none as small as 200.

Summers End

Test photo

Gary, I figured I'd try to post a resized photo that you emailed me. Here goes.

Attachments

• Gary Smith.jpg
    Gary Smith.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 430

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A few photos from the summer of 1958. I turned 13 that August and attended the camp as a Season Camper. During the summer of 1957 I spent just 1 week in camp after my Dad passed away and my poor Mom really needed a break.
I have the full width photos from both years being processed on to CD's and will post them soon.

Cheers to all!

Gary Smith

Oh well....looks like the file size of just 1 of the photos exceeds the max 200 KB allowed. All my photos are under 500 KB but none as small as 200.

Very cool Gary! I'm looking foward to the photos. I have lived in Bamber for 26 years now and love seeing what it looked like before me. Was that the "red bridge"?

PS: did most of the other campers wear speedos in the 50's? I remember a guy who had a pair when I first moved into Presidential Lakes in 1965.

Gary Smith

Apr 30, 2007
Redwood City, CA
Special thanks to Summers End for resizing my photos so I can post them for all to recall the lazy days of summer at Camp Columbus.

I'm not sure if Speedo's were in, it's just all I had. My Mom really struggled after my Dad's death and she bought what she could afford....maybe I was a style setter? I wouldn't put a pair on today for love or money.

I do believe the shot of me was down by the lake where we dove off the bridge.

Attachments

• Group_shot_cabin_4.jpg
    Group_shot_cabin_4.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 466

Gary Smith

Apr 30, 2007
Redwood City, CA
Thanks Guy! These photos really take me back to more simpler times in my life. I had so much fun at camp, great memories that will last forever.

Does anyone recall writing our names in tooth paste on the walls aside our bunks in the cabins?

chrisw

Feb 15, 2008
Thanks Guy! These photos really take me back to more simpler times in my life. I had so much fun at camp, great memories that will last forever.

Does anyone recall writing our names in tooth paste on the walls aside our bunks in the cabins?
Sure do. I was there the last 2 years it was open. Still the tradition.

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
I'm back.

Haven't been here in a while. Good to see so many more postings. I only wish that more former staff members and campers came upon this site. I'd love to hear from Mark Avery again. It's summer, schools out, so I'll probably take a ride down to the camp sometime soon.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
What a place. I have mid 60's memories from the other end of the state. Camp Weygat the exit is where NJ has the truck scale now.

Bug Juce was a 5 lb bag of Govmt Surplus grape drink [immitation Kool Aide] We used to hike to the top of the Water Gap and look NW down past the Indian head & we left a big pot & bag of bug juce at the last water crossing on the way up...for the way back!

What a way to see a group come together; great thread, took hours to read it all!

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Staff member 1970

I recently "googled" Brian Vouglas a councelor in the cub village in 1970. I never saw so many hits for an individual in my life. He is an actor/performer living in San Francisco where he moved in the early seventies. He does a lot of voice acting (voice of a computer etc.) and was in a commercial for I-Pod. He appears to be making a living at it.