Campers at Columbus?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Luke said:
It was a pleasure to find this site this evening. The timing of its start is quite a coincidence.

Glad you found Ben's site interesting. Thanks for the great info.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hewey said:
intersection of lacey and dover roads. lacey station? also looks like a train in the picture.

Yes, that is the Tuckerton Railroad chugging along. And King is correct, those are the old Peach Orchards. Lacey Station was actually about a mile further East along the tracks. I think the building on Lacey road was a siding for peaches. If you go to the Popcorn Park Zoo, you can see the foundation.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I think the building in the clearing still stands today, I think it is the old cedar sided house that is on the right side of the road right after the intersection of dover and lacey heading west, I did not realize that the old peach orchard was so big.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Can you remember on what outing that you and I did when we visted the cement foundations shown in that photo? I can't find any pictures of it. I am sure I must have taken some. Ben may have been with us that time but I am not sure.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That drawing to me is again proof that nature can reclaim itself even after being turned into a peach orchard. About the only thing other than the house(s) and roads that remains is the cement slabs, and it took Bob to find them.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Bob,

Can you remember on what outing that you and I did when we visted the cement foundations shown in that photo? I can't find any pictures of it. I am sure I must have taken some. Ben may have been with us that time but I am not sure.

Guy

It was an impromtu outing that year Alfonso was prominent on the site. Remember now?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
TeeGate said:
That drawing to me is again proof that nature can reclaim itself even after being turned into a peach orchard. About the only thing other than the house(s) and roads that remains is the cement slabs, and it took Bob to find them.

Guy

Nature's ability to reclaim itself has always amazed me also, Guy! The pine barrens in particular.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bobpbx said:
It was an impromtu outing that year Alfonso was prominent on the site. Remember now?

Yes I do. That was Ten Mile Hollow and Carusoville. I just checked and I don't have photo's of the long cement slabs you found. I will have to stop in and get some one day.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
Yes I do. That was Ten Mile Hollow and Carusoville. I just checked and I don't have photo's of the long cement slabs you found. I will have to stop in and get some one day.

Guy

Two places that I have yet to see. Guy, any time you want to head out to Popcorn Park, let me know.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Two places that I have yet to see. Guy, any time you want to head out to Popcorn Park, let me know.

Jessica wants to go so badly to the zoo, so whenever you are going again let us know. We can visit those places also. I may be able to get the others in my family to go. I can go anytime except next weekend Aug 12-13. Even if you want or can go during the week I can take off from work.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Claire (my wife) loves going there. There used to be a deer there, Beverly was her name, she was very friendly. Good place to bring your daughter when she is a bit older Ben. Just be aware that many of the animals have injuries that might be upsetting to some childern, I suspect.

Jeff

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
woodjin said:
Claire (my wife) loves going there. There used to be a deer there, Beverly was her name, she was very friendly. Good place to bring your daughter when she is a bit older Ben. Just be aware that many of the animals have injuries that might be upsetting to some childern, I suspect.

Jeff
that must be the deer that would come up to you and try to steal your popcorn for feeding the animals, it was more like a dog than a deer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Edit: Guy I meant to look at the ruins in the area, not go to the zoo. :)

Sorry. We can set up a date to do that.

guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hewey said:
that must be the deer that would come up to you and try to steal your popcorn for feeding the animals, it was more like a dog than a deer.

Yes that was the deer. It had three legs. They have a blind donkey and alot of one-eyed animals. They also had a black bear with extreme mange last time I was there. Only a handful of the animals are visably injured. Most are there from neglect and abuse that is not so visable. I think it is good that the zoo is a charity case. I always thought that zoos that have healthy wild animals were a bit cruel. I go to them anyway though.

Sorry Ben, I thought you were implying that you hadn't been to popcorn park zoo, I guess you were referring to the nearby ruins.

Jeff

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Camp Columbus photo's

To everyone who has posted about the camp and the pictures.
Welcome Camp Columbus was at the corner of the road leading back to the camp and Good Luck Road which ran through the middle. The buildings on the immediate right and left in the photo are cabins 10 & 11. The rec hall is in the background with the shop on the left of it. To its right would have been cabin 3, the senior village leaders cabin, and right of that was the chapel. The back corner of the mess hall is just barely visible to the left of the shop.
In the group photo Mr. Callahan is not there. His daughter is being held by the cub village leader, I can't recall his name at this time.Seated to his left is the asst. director and to his left is Jack Dorner the waterfront director. This has inspired me to dig out my camp pictures. I'll see if I can get them posted. John McCarty

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
A visit to Camp Columbus

On Friday 3/2/2007 I drove down to the site of Camp Columbus. I went down Hurry Up Road to Good Luck Road, turned right at the spot where the old welcome sign was and parked where the Mess Hall had been located. There is absolutely no evidence that a boys camp ever existed here. I walked down to where the boat dock had been and the concrete slab is still there but the creek that used to run through that area is gone. The waterfront is completely different, (much improved) and the old dam on the trail to what we called Piney Beach is also much improved. This was the dam destroyed in the summer of 1970, bringing about the end of the camp. I will return there this summer and look around a little more. I still think I can find the "ghost factory", one of our favorite hikes. I will also post some of my camper pictures and staff pictures. Thats all for now. John McCarty

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
The ghost factory was supposedly an old munitions factory that used bog iron to make cannon balls. I think it's on the other side of the road from the Bamber Lakes Fire Co.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Do you know anything about this? It would have had to have been after the Cedar Crest Orchard era??

Guy