Campers at Columbus?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

Do you know anything about this? It would have had to have been after the Cedar Crest Orchard era??

Guy

What it sounds like is a neat little story told around the campfire. And I mean no disrespect at all John, but thats most likely what it was. You would need tremendous heat to turn forge iron into cannon balls. And so why not do that right at the furnace itself (striking while the iron is hot so to speak), which was at the lake.

Where they went on the hike was probably those long foundations I found out there, and they probably had to do with housing for Peach Orchard workers. I think someone had a post about that.

See the long buildings in the sketch:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/cedar_crest2a.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What it sounds like is a neat little story told around the campfire. And I mean no disrespect at all John, but thats most likely what it was. You would need tremendous heat to turn forge iron into cannon balls. And so why not do that right at the furnace itself (striking while the iron is hot so to speak), which was at the lake.

Where they went on the hike was probably those long foundations I found out there, and they probably had to do with housing for Peach Orchard workers. I think someone had a post about that.

See the long buildings in the sketch:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/cedar_crest2a.JPG

I figured it was them.

Guy

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Anything is possible. I'm just repeating what was told to us and what we told the kids in 1970. I have some old 8-millimeter film that I transferred to video a few years ago and the ghost factory is in it as well as some scenes from the camp. I'll talk to the TV Tech people I work with and see if I can get it as well as my camp group pictures posted. I'm just surprised that some of the former staff members haven't found this site. john Mccarty

J

jackgranelli

Camp Columbus

I certainly remember Camp Columbus and just visited the site yesterday . (3/8/2007) The area is certainly built up and all of the buildings are gone but the property is exactly the way I remember it and nothing has been built on it. I parked on the road which divided the cub & senior villages, where the canteen was, and was able to visualize all of the buildings.

I was there in the mid to late 50's) there, usually for 2 weeks, when I was in grammar school and one year of high school I believe. I remember Mr Callahan, his wife and a fellow by the name of Joe Reno? He basically ran the day to day activities and was the waterfront supervisor - Remmeber the "Deep Water Test?' You were really soemthing if you were allowed to go out to the raft!!.

I have a picture from 1955 which was taken in fron of "headquarters" as well as a snapshot of myself, my brother, and a person I do not remember in front of Cabin 4.

The waterfront at Bamber Lake is pretty much as I remember it, with the sandy beach and the beach across the lake on the south side?

I could go on forever and if anyone wishes to bring back memories please get in touch with me at jackgranelli@aol.com.

Best wishes to all,
Jack Granelli

J

jackgranelli

More Camp Columbus Memories

Some memories of Camp Columbus:

- The first time I heard the term "Bug Juice" , but we sure drank a lot of it tho'

- Certainly the boxing matches! I got into one and barely lasted the 1st round

- Sunday dinners were always the best - Fried chicken & Peach Cobbler! Of course!!! - it was visiting day for our families!!

- Saturday was "cleanup", moving everything out of the cabins, and the pine tar for the floors.

- Daily inspections, wondering which counselor you would get, and how many demerits would ruin your chance to get the awards given out at the Friday night campfire.

- "Polar Bear" days when it was so hot that thyey would cancel afternoon activities and spend the entire time in the water.

- Your counselor telling you that they were "saving" money for school in the fall, showing you their worn out shoes -- all in hope that you would tell your parents to give him a good tip at the end of the week.

- The tether ball matches

- I remember a fellow from Freehold named Ed Collins, his dad was in insurance, who was the top softball player in my time and was able to hit the ball on the roof of the Rec Hall! Remember home plate was abck by the front of the mess hall.

I'm sure that I'll have no problem cming up with more!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It sounds like you really enjoyed it there. Nice to hear that! Thanks for posting.

Guy

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
- The first time I heard the term "Bug Juice" , but we sure drank a lot of it tho'

Perfect! I remember that too--wasn't bug juice a grape juice derivative?

- Saturday was "cleanup", moving everything out of the cabins, and the pine tar for the floors.

Also perfect--I still remember the pine tar odor. Much anticipation of parents coming with canteen money on Sunday. Mine showed up about midsummer with a new spinning reel and a request for more letters. I still have a letter from my father that he sent to me at Camp Columbus in 1960--his wonderful sense of humor (when he allowed it to be) came through as he described the fictional bird he saw at his warehouse (pearl-necklaced hawk-owl).

- Daily inspections, wondering which counselor you would get, and how many demerits would ruin your chance to get the awards given out at the Friday night campfire.

Yes, twice daily. Dust bunnies sometimes appeared mysteriously sometime in between the cleanup and the inspection, always diminishing your total score. I had a brown pigment spot on my right palm (still do) that one counselor always called "dirt" (despite my protestations and Mrs. Callahan's medical evaluation) and it always killed our Friday night award chances. Camp Columbus was also where I first learned that life isn't inherently fair.

Clearly we have some complementary memories, and it's great that this thread has brought to light some other Camp Columbus people. Maybe Patty Callahan's next reunion at Bamber will have more CC veterans in attendance.

Sean
(back after several months)

Some memories of Camp Columbus:

- Certainly the boxing matches! I got into one and barely lasted the 1st round

- Sunday dinners were always the best - Fried chicken & Peach Cobbler! Of course!!! - it was visiting day for our families!!

- "Polar Bear" days when it was so hot that thyey would cancel afternoon activities and spend the entire time in the water.

- Your counselor telling you that they were "saving" money for school in the fall, showing you their worn out shoes -- all in hope that you would tell your parents to give him a good tip at the end of the week.

- The tether ball matches

- I remember a fellow from Freehold named Ed Collins, his dad was in insurance, who was the top softball player in my time and was able to hit the ball on the roof of the Rec Hall! Remember home plate was abck by the front of the mess hall.

I'm sure that I'll have no problem cming up with more!!

J

jackgranelli

Bamber Lake Reunions

I must have missed the posting about the Bamber Lake Reunions? Does it happen frequently, recently?

I would certainly be interested if anything comes up in the future!!

Jack

J

jackgranelli

Daily Mass

One more thing!!

I remember the chapel as being rather austere when I first went to Camp Columbs. Simply benches and kneeling pads!

The thing was not to try to lean back with your butt against the bench when you had to kneel at Mass, the counselors made sure that you knelt up straight - like it was a mortal sin if you didn't! One year the priest even tried to give us "dispensation" from kneeling - but the counselors didn't want to hear any of that!

Finally, one year when I came to camp and found that a project had been started to make new kneelers out of natural wood which had a upright railings that would support you as you knelt down. The entire chaple wasn't equipped but it was a contest to get there first!

Jack

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
After my initial post to this forum last summer I discovered that the Callahan family has endeavored to host at least one Camp Columbus reunion at Bamber Lake (in 2006). It was apparently attended by just a few campers, but I suspect that if more Camp Columbus veterans knew about the reunion more would take the time to attend, if another one was organized. I will let you know if and when I hear of another reunion--I would look forward as much to a reunion with the Barrens as with fellow campers.

Sean

I must have missed the posting about the Bamber Lake Reunions? Does it happen frequently, recently?

I would certainly be interested if anything comes up in the future!!

Jack

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
After my initial post to this forum last summer I discovered that the Callahan family has endeavored to host at least one Camp Columbus reunion at Bamber Lake (in 2006).

I'd love to run a camp like that. I wonder if kids these days would make it too much of a pain; wanting their IPOD, Cell phone, Video Games. Cursing and swearing at the counselors because that is normal to them now.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'd love to run a camp like that. I wonder if kids these days would make it too much of a pain; wanting their IPOD, Cell phone, Video Games. Cursing and swearing at the counselors because that is normal to them now.

I don't know Bob, kids are still kids. I went to boy scout summer camp in the '80's, and while we didn't have most of what you mentioned above we still had alot of TV and stereo withdraw to go through, ended up we didn't miss it that much once we got in the woods. I think summer camp still has a timeless attraction. My nephews are addicted to video games though. I think they are a little bit fun myself, but what a useless pass time. Some kids look at video games as a legitimate recreation. "I'm not into sports because I'm into video games". They will hopefully grow out of it but man what a way to waste away the youthful years. I bet summer camps still do well.

Incidently, my Dad always referred to any juice (kool aid, anything) as bug juice! I wonder what the origins of that reference are?

Jeff

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
So would I, but I think the real reason so few do anymore is not that the kids are a pain as that their parents (us) tend to sue the pants off anyone who tries to do or be anything more than mainstream computers/Las Vegas/Harry Potter/prime time/"get that degree and work a job you hate" persuasion. The insurance to run a place like Camp Columbus, with its water deeper than 1.5 feet, its hikes in the summer heat, its local (former) rattlesnakes, its Friday night grudge boxing matches, and its policy of encouraging kids to experience the world on its and their own terms would now be unthinkable, I think. Ironic, isn't it?

I'm also happy to say that I know at least three "kids" from the IPOD/MySpace generation (they're mostly grown up now) who would have appreciated, treasured in fact experiences like those I had back then. There is definitely some Camp Columbus in them, and I suspect there is also in many of the offspring of those fortunate enough to attend when the Callahans operated the camp.

Sean

J

jackgranelli

"Generational" Gaps

As I said in one of my earlier postings, several peers of mine from elementary school when awarded a week at Camp columbus for academic achievement, couldn't handle the rigor of the daily routine that we all experienced.

I honestly believe that our 2 sons would have loved it, despite their ipods etc., but that's how we raised them. They both went to St Joseph's High School here in Metuchen, NJ and the Brothers of the Sacred Heart who staff the school definitely have a little of the "Columbus" blood in them. Both of them went on to Jesuit colleges (Scranton & St Joe's in Phillie) which were again cut from the same cloth!

Oh well, we can only dream!

Jack

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
More memories.

Bug juice was Kool-Aid. Being on the staff you found out these top secret things. Some other things to be remembered in the Mess Hall were the 5lb. cans of government surplus peanut butter, the green picnic benches with formica tops that we ate on, councilors setting up and serving the meals, the Callahans sitting in the back by the door and having a smoke after eating and in 1970 Larry Ganges yelling "Hotel!!!!! hot stuff coming through!!!!!!"
On a completely different subject no camper will ever forget the Sir George and the Maryann. If anyone is curious I'll identify them further.
In the 60's they had the Polar Bear Club. Some campers and staff would rise at 5:30 and go swimming. As I recall it can get pretty cool overnight in the Pines. They would go down to the waterfront by 6:00 and go swimming in that balmy cedar water. If that didn't wake you up, you were dead. More memories to come. John

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In the 60's they had the Polar Bear Club. As I recall it can get pretty cool overnight in the Pines.

Lake water and small river/stream water (fresh water) blows away the ocean for cold temp potential. I've done a few swims in Marlton lakes for charity in March and used to take swims semi regular in Nescochague lake till mid October when I had regular access some years back.

You guys are giving great stories. Thank you !

G.

J

jackgranelli

Mess Hall

Yup, I remember the routine in the Mess Hall. You all marched in and stood by your assigned tables. After "Grace Before Meals" was said, you were allowed to sit down while your counselor went up and got the food which was served family style. At the end of the meal each table was responsible for clearing and stacking its dishes and utensils under the direction of your counselor. At that point Mr Callahan, or his designated appointee, provided any announcements for the day after which you were allowed to leave.

I remember "Polar Bear Club" also being invoked when the temperature got so hot that they cancelled activities and everyone spent the entire afternoon at the lake swimming.

I also remember the hikes which usually included a couple to The "Cedar Swamp" often led by the chaplain. I recall that it was that one of the chaplains who was rumored to have "blazed" a number of legendary rail through the more rustic areas of the Pine Barrens.

More memories to come,
Jack