Cape May County Explorations

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was trying to reconcile that small parcel with the website that said the preserve was over 800 acres and just got more confused by the map on their site. Then I looked at the compass on the map... East is at the top! Why would they do that? Just to confuse people? The map is basically square and would fit on the page either way. :ninja:

So it looks like the main part of the preserve is south of the map I posted above. I was also confused by the WMA label for a Nature Conservancy property and wondered if that was a mistake in my data. However, if you look on the NJDEP website, it says "Fish and Wildlife co-owners of property with The Nature Conservancy". This is just a small screenshot, if you look at the full page you'll see that this is a Natural Heritage Priority Site as well.

Lizard Tail Swamp Site
The site is on the outer coastal plain of Cape May peninsula Goshen Road (Rt. 615). Communities include dry oak-pine forest oak forest The primary boundary includes all wetlands and the most proximal watershed tree species present at low densities. Secondary bounds include cleared or developed portions of the watershed An excellent example of a globally rare Cape May lowland swamp community. Good to excellent quality state and globally significant plant and animal occurrences are documented on site.

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#14/39.120566/-74.814371/darkstreets/0/0/

View attachment 22910
I"m a north up man myself.If I find out the map is other wise why darn it it must be rotated till north is up.MY GPS is the same way.I want north up even if it means flipping the device upside down when I"m travelling south.My truck gps is the same way.I occasionally hit a button on the screen accidenatly that turns the map into a rotating beast that tilts and is trying to represent 3 D. I have been known to stop in the middle of the road cussing the thing and then going into the menu to straighten it out.Took me over a year to figure out there is a small icon on screen that I was hitting when I would swipe the map down to see what was coming up,some times it zooms in to much for my pleasure.Most people do seem to like the rotating map spawn from hell with 3D tilt though.Burt then again I still miss a good old rotating dial phone.

• Haha
Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I"m a north up man myself.If I find out the map is other wise why darn it it must be rotated till north is up.MY GPS is the same way.I want north up even if it means flipping the device upside down when I"m travelling south.My truck gps is the same way.I occasionally hit a button on the screen accidenatly that turns the map into a rotating beast that tilts and is trying to represent 3 D. I have been known to stop in the middle of the road cussing the thing and then going into the menu to straighten it out.Took me over a year to figure out there is a small icon on screen that I was hitting when I would swipe the map down to see what was coming up,some times it zooms in to much for my pleasure.Most people do seem to like the rotating map spawn from hell with 3D tilt though.Burt then again I still miss a good old rotating dial phone.
I'm a north up man as well. If your device is north up when you look at it to see where you are, having it north up saves so much time, because you don't have to guess what direction the top of the screen depicts. I recall having a light-hearted discussion on this topic with Boyd, who was chiding me for having to keep all maps and aerials with north up on the paper or screen when I look at them.

• Haha
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Track up for me. Who cares which way is North when looking at the GPS? I want to see what is ahead of me no matter what way I am going.

• Haha
Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Track up for me. Who cares which way is North when looking at the GPS? I want to see what is ahead of me no matter what way I am going.
Of course, your purpose for using the GPS is different than mine. I'm meandering, looking for plants that grow where they will, and in that regard, I usually ignore the GPS, since even if the terrain is bad, I must search nook and crannies. You, in contrast, nearly always have a possible target right on your GPS.

But even when I strike a line to, say, revisit a population, while I get the first direction from the GPS, I sight on something far away, such as an unusual tree, and bear on that for awhile so I don't have to look down all the time.

And yes, I care which way is north when I look at the GPS. I can still see the arrow symbol and know which cardinal direction I'm heading (below it's east). But even so, when I strike a line and walk to a target, I use the compass function.

1718986997115.jpeg

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think North-Up and Track-Up both have legitimate uses. But in the case of the nature preserve map, I just don't see any reason to rotate it 90 degrees with East at the top. If it's a case where the map is short and wide but it has to fit in a tall, skinny space on a printed page, that makes sense. But that's not the case here. And I really don't understand why they rotated the new MAP about 15 degrees! :ninja:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think North-Up and Track-Up both have legitimate uses. But in the case of the nature preserve map, I just don't see any reason to rotate it 90 degrees with East at the top. If it's a case where the map is short and wide but it has to fit in a tall, skinny space on a printed page, that makes sense. But that's not the case here. And I really don't understand why they rotated the new MAP about 15 degrees! :ninja:
Yes, I like it north up if at all possible. Someone who does maps well is National Geographic. If it's not north up, it's clearly stated which direction north is.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's one you can think about. I've made a decision, but I could be wrong. A large one for it's size by South Jersey standards.
IMG_1899A.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG