Colliers Mills Being Heavily Abused by ORV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009

The hill at Colliers has been abused even worse than Jemima. Seems to be little management, little enforcement in Colliers Mills.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
What is unfortunate is the lack of hills overall in southern New Jersey acts like a light to a moth for those folks looking to test out there 4x4 vehicles. My understanding is that Forked River mountains have been heavily abused as well. Frankly I would like to see private citizens and the State open off road vehicle parks to help divert traffic to authorized areas. Apparently insurance is difficult to obtain but there has to be a way. Purchasing 640 acres of destroyed land for an ORVP in Manchester from Hovnavian (Heritage Minerals site) would be a start. In the meantime locals near Colliers Mill who support the WMA could act as eyes and ears for F&W to alert them of areas that are being misused.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
What is unfortunate is the lack of hills overall in southern New Jersey acts like a light to a moth for those folks looking to test out there 4x4 vehicles. My understanding is that Forked River mountains have been heavily abused as well. Frankly I would like to see private citizens and the State open off road vehicle parks to help divert traffic to authorized areas. Apparently insurance is difficult to obtain but there has to be a way. Purchasing 640 acres of destroyed land for an ORVP in Manchester from Hovnavian (Heritage Minerals site) would be a start. In the meantime locals near Colliers Mill who support the WMA could act as eyes and ears for F&W to alert them of areas that are being misused.
They had that in chatsworth a orv park but the lease ran out and the njcf did not renew it.that would be a great central location for a orv park in nj they can charge a nominal fee for residents of nj and a larger fee for non residents.if the atv or dirt bikes are required to have at the least insurance that maybe a way to to drive down the cost to the proprietor and the state to carry a llc type insurance

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
No closed
The DEP walked away from there stated commitment to provide ORV access areas for the general public. For both conservationists and preservationists providing legal open access areas for quads, dirt bikes and 4x4's could be economically beneficial as well as provide extra support in stopping illegal four wheeling by providing real options.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Agreed, PBA. I think the biggest obstacle was that nobody wanted an ORV park in their town. Plus, I feel that placing one way down in Cape May dooms it to failure since it's pretty much majorly inconvenient to get to from anywhere else in the state. If you're a 17 year old kid are you going to drive all the way down to Cape May or are you just going to find some random trail in the woods wherever?

It's like building a steakhouse next to a landfill. They could serve the best fillet mignon in the world but nobody will go because the smell makes it unpalatable.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Agreed, PBA. I think the biggest obstacle was that nobody wanted an ORV park in their town. Plus, I feel that placing one way down in Cape May dooms it to failure since it's pretty much majorly inconvenient to get to from anywhere else in the state. If you're a 17 year old kid are you going to drive all the way down to Cape May or are you just going to find some random trail in the woods wherever?

It's like building a steakhouse next to a landfill. They could serve the best fillet mignon in the world but nobody will go because the smell makes it unpalatable.
Boyd had mentioned the Cape May location, I am more in favor of the state and private citizens purchasing 640 acres out of the 7,000+ at the privately held Heritage Minerals Site owned by Hovnavian in Manchester. From herpetologists I have spoken to there are areas that have endangered snakes but there are large tracts of "orange" sand that are fundamentally lifeless and would be ideal to build up so that mudders, quads, dirtbikes and 4x4's could tear them down....with 640 acres to work with you could make it a fantasy land of off roading delight where folks would come from all over the state to play. Just a thought :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Boyd had mentioned the Cape May location, I am more in favor of the state and private citizens purchasing 640 acres out of the 7,000+ at the privately held Heritage Minerals Site owned by Hovnavian in Manchester. From herpetologists I have spoken to there are areas that have endangered snakes but there are large tracts of "orange" sand that are fundamentally lifeless and would be ideal to build up so that mudders, quads, dirtbikes and 4x4's could tear them down....with 640 acres to work with you could make it a fantasy land of off roading delight where folks would come from all over the state to play. Just a thought :)

Oh for sure, the Heritage Minerals site would be perfect. I bet Hovnanian wouldn't sell because it'd detract from the value of the townhouses that they want to build there. Do you know what the status of that even is thesedays?

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Oh for sure, the Heritage Minerals site would be perfect. I bet Hovnanian wouldn't sell because it'd detract from the value of the townhouses that they want to build there. Do you know what the status of that even is thesedays?
They had 2003 approval to build a little over 2000 homes near the quarry lake...they are now trying to build 6543 homes in land that they had previously agreed would be a biological buffer....PPA, Sierra Club are fighting...town meeting upcoming later this month...the proposed new "city" would add approximately 15,000 folks to the area...new schools, roads, etc would be necessary....significant drawdown on aquifer.....it should never be allowed to happen (development is inevatable) but this violates CMP and CAFRA. Not good.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
but this violates CMP and CAFRA. Not good.

Pffft, as if the CMP mattered any more these days. :/

1024px-Hasenhäge_NEL-Erdgas-Pipeline_Bau_2011-05-15_009.JPG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There is a private 85 acre off-road park located in Millville that is open, part of the track that was built off of Buckshutem Rd, called Field of Dreams. Quads and dirt bikes, no big trucks, similar to the old Chatsworth leased place. Opened in 2012-13, so the idea of a private facility is viable. Al probably knows of it. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/NJMPFOD/

The state could easily section out a part of a WMA and put in a similar centrally located facility and concession the operation out, there is more than enough land available to do that.

When the lease for the Chatsworth place was not renewed, it helped to create the issues that now exist. An environMENTAL group helped to create the current problem; what were they thinking.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011

It's a great idea. Regarding the snakes, I have heard that too as well as endangered plants/orchids. Still I think that it would be a great idea to purchase this or another tract of land and make an off-roading park in the area that you mentioned.

I'm actually surprised that the development of the Heritage Minerals site isn't getting more attention here. This thread is the first that I heard of a small city/town center being built there. Maybe it's been discussed here and my head has been in the sand (figuratively, of course).

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
They had 2003 approval to build a little over 2000 homes near the quarry lake...they are now trying to build 6543 homes in land that they had previously agreed would be a biological buffer....PPA, Sierra Club are fighting...town meeting upcoming later this month...the proposed new "city" would add approximately 15,000 folks to the area...new schools, roads, etc would be necessary....significant drawdown on aquifer.....it should never be allowed to happen (development is inevatable) but this violates CMP and CAFRA. Not good.

Unbelievable.

I wonder-will there ever be a water crisis in the Pine Barrens?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It was posted, did not get any attention, probably due to the title of the thread.

Yep, I didn't read that thread either so this is the first I've heard about it. A cryptic thread title with nothing but a link to a Courier Post article guarantees that I'll ignore it. ;)

I know we are not allowed to copy/paste entire articles here, but including a few lines that give some idea of the content should be allowable under "fair use", or you could just include a short summary in your own words.

Status
Not open for further replies.