Cow Tunnels Under Route 70

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Recently, I learned that there is a cow tunnel under route 70, so on Sunday before the start of Steve's "Shiver Me Timbers and Blow Me Down" hike I went searching to find it. First a little background.

In the late 1920's and early 1930's when the Department of Transportation was preparing to cement route 70 (the article said pave which is incorrect), a farmer named Wilbert Engle complained that the speeding traffic would not allow him to get his cow's from one field to another, since he owned property on both side of what was then a small country road.
Mr. Engle's complaints convinced the state to build a tunnel under route 70 to allow the cows to migrate between fields.

So at 7AM on Sunday morning I parked my car along the portion of route 70 where I believed this tunnel to be. It was the first morning after the big rain, and the first morning after Daylight Savings Time. The sun was up and it was wet.

I left my car unlocked since it was pretty quiet and walked a considerable distance back up the highway searching for the tunnel. A car coming towards me slowed down and pulled off the road heading towards me, and then quickly turned back on the road and passed by, with the man inside staring at me. He headed down the road and pulled directly in front of my car and exited his. Quickly realizing that my camera and GPS were right there in my unlocked car, I turned around and briskly headed back.

He walked past my car heading towards me and I was getting concerned. His actions seemed really odd to me and I was preparing for the unusual. As we met he asked if I was alright and I just muttered yes and headed to my car.

He returned to his car and sat in it looking at me in the mirror. I started up and drove around him and continued to scan the sides of the road for the tunnel. He then headed off all the while staring at me. I searched some more but was constantly waiting for him to return, and decided that some other time would be best for this adventure. I headed to Atsion for the hike.

During the week I contacted a member of this site who I thought could help me in finding this tunnel, and I was not disappointed. I want to thank them for their help. I learned that there are actually two of them, with one of them recently extended because of road work.

So with the exact location of one of them, and what appeared to be a more accurate location of the one I was searching for, Jessica and I headed out this morning to visit them.

The first one is an easy one to get to. Many people have probably even viewed this one and not realized what it was originally intended for. It was extended in 1996 and the date is inscribed on the new headwall. The extension in 1996 should give you a clue as to where it is located. You would be surprised where cows once crossed!

1.JPG

2.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

The one I was looking for previously is much harder to find, but eventually I did. I was surprised to find that it is a "duel" tunnel, so there are three tunnels under route 70 for cows. Could there be more???

This one is inscribed 1931 and is much smaller. But I believe that the only reason for this is that water flowing through it over the years has raised the ground level. It is too low for a cow at the present time. The tunnels are loaded with animal tracks, so it appears this would be a great place for a remote camera.

cow.JPG

4.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Apu Zen and dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was sweet walking through them. A little wet. If you notice in the 1931 photo's the cement has water wear. It actually is a stream that most likely years ago flowed quite well and caused no problems, but today there must be restrictions somewhere down the line which causes it to back up. If it was filled with water back then the cows might have been stuck in the fields.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Very cool find Guy! A number of years ago I remember reading in a pine barrens book that animal migration was a concern when they were planning the Atlantic City Expressway (or was it the Garden State Parkway?). I think there may be some similar tunnels there to allow wild animals to get to the other side.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Amazing. I thought someone was pulling your leg when you first mentioned it. I wonder why two of them, one beside the other?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where it is located still has the posts and partial fence from a massive farm from years ago. I am willing to bet there were quite a few cows on that farm and one tunnel would take them quite a bit of time to get through. Just a guess.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
that is really cool Guy!! If they are on route 70 i've driven over them thousands of times. How come you did not mention the locations?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The duel tunnel is where a farm once was.

The other one was extended because of road widening.

Guy

BigRedEye

Scout
Mar 28, 2006
jersey shore
Are you certain they're for animals? They look like box culverts, built to allow streams to flow under the road. You can find structures just like that on a lot of roads including urban areas.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just know what I mentioned, that records aparently show on the duel tunnel a farmer requested them for his cows and they built it. As for the 1996 tunnel I just was told that it was mentioned in a Burlington County Times article a while back that it also was for cows. Apparently, someone must have researched it to come up with the farmers name.

Guy

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
There's one about a mile from my house that runs under the Turnpike almost exactly at the midpoint between exits 7A and 7. When the Turnpike reached that point in the early '50s it ended up running right through an existing dairy farm. My great-grandfather who owned a farm just off of Route 206 in Columbus knew the farmer and the story.

The land is now a horse farm on one side and the other side is a utility easement connected to a large tract of woods now owned by a nursery. My dad took me there as a kid to show me and my friends and I used to hang out there as kids. I haven't been down there in quite a while though. The appearance of the tunnel is almost indentical to the one in Guy's pictures but I don't remember there being a date. I should get down there to snap some pictures because with the widening they're supposed to be doing between 8A and 6 it could dissapear forever...

In the late 1920's and early 1930's when the Department of Transportation was preparing to cement route 70 (the article said pave which is incorrect)Guy

Guy:

Technically speaking, to pave is to place any type of improved surface on a roadway, not just asphalt, so the reporter used the correct term. In addition, the state constructed the highway (yes, originally Route S-40) using concrete, of which cement is a major component. Concrete is a mixture of cement, sand, stone, and water; the sand and stone serve as both binding agents and filler to reduce the amount of cement needed to produce the mix.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Amazing. I thought someone was pulling your leg when you first mentioned it. I wonder why two of them, one beside the other?

Bob:

I think the the state created the twin tunnel in 1931 in an effort to establish stability. The State Highway Department evidently thought that a center support would prevent any damage to either the roadway or the tunnel.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Folks:

While farmers along Route S-40 received tunnels for their livestock to keep automobiles speeding on their way, travelers along old S-25 (today's Route 130) were not so fortunate. At least twice daily, flagmen would stop motorists driving through Delran Township to cross the herd of cows belonging to the Millside Farms Dairy Farm. The area that today features the Target Shopping Center once served as the dairy's grazing land. In the morning, all traffic stopped as the cows crossed the road to feed for the day. During the afternoon, traffic stopped again as the cows, now with udders hanging low, returned to the dairy for milking and subsequent stabling.

The tunnels and the crossing discussed above are indicative of the role that farming once played in New Jersey.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
a related item

in the 60's early 70's on medford/evesham rd there used to be a very old farmer that used to use a "chrylser 300" to heard his cows around the field and back to the barn. i saw him once on foot, he realy could not walk much at all. i guess he did not want to give up. not long after that the farm seemed to be abandoned