Coyotes today

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I was also lucky enough to stumble across a group of young coyotes last week and again today . . . super awesome experience.

I managed to photograph at least four, but I believe there were 5 young coyotes in the group.
7298026752_3ca79ca0e6_b.jpg

Most of the shots are like these - running away. Though their curiosity was obvious.

7298028434_23963e8fd4_b.jpg

After following them a little ways down the road, I lucked out and got a nice close look.

7298025212_6f1f0f254a_b.jpg

At first this one gave me nothing but tail - but a quick whistle was enough to grab its attention and force a fleeting pose.

Couldn't be happier seeing these guys and getting a chance at pictures. Its something I've wanted for years.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
good shot Bob! I'm curious to know where you were (in general). Looks like either the Whiting or FRM area. PM me if you are inclined to.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
I was riding the motorcyle today on a very cool single track (enduro) trail in what appeared to be a former C.C.C. camp nursery. I was in pretty deep. well, I came around a turn and, low and behold, there was a young coyote. He ran about 25 yards and then turned and studyed me. I did the same. He was young, not a puppy, but nowhere near full size. He eventually retreated.

Jeff

Hi,

Great shots! Not familiar with the "former C.C.C. camp nursery", is that along Jackson Rd. Atco/Medford? I spotted a medium sized one a couple hundred yards from the wildlife refuge, near the old bogs when MTN biking about a year ago.

thks, ed

SoJerZ

Jun 6, 2012
This popped up in my Facebook news feed a few months ago... some kid in Tabernacle shot it.

2qn1bu1.jpg

Pottsy

Jun 8, 2012
Would one of these coyotes ever attack a person walking through? Best defense if so? Other than a firearm.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Would one of these coyotes ever attack a person walking through? Best defense if so? Other than a firearm.
My opinion - unless you're a small dog or a child, its very very unlikely. Coyotes have been present and prolific for a long time now and attacks on adults are all but nonexistent. That having been said - the coyote/wolf mix does hold some mystery behaviorally because the possibility exists that they may have a mix of behaviors or behave like neither. Eastern coyotes represent an emerging species, and until its fully "emerged" and rigorously studied - nobody can really be sure.

What you can be sure of is this: wild animals don't start fights they can't win unless forced. That's where your defense comes in. The best way to put it - don't make yourself look like an easy meal or a threat. Be calm . . . "excuse" yourself from an unwanted encounter but never EVER run. Ever. If a coywolf (or any predator in NJ, really . . .) gets too bold, you should respond with boldness, but not viciousness.

Let them know you aren't weak, but also that they don't have to defend (pups) against you.

Because of my job (and extracurricular responsibilities) I spend an absurd amount of time in the woods. I've seen coyotes time after time - even had one trot by me within 10 feet or so - but not once have I ever felt threatened.

Confidence and calmness are your best defenses against coyotes, but its basically moot. Your time would be better spent learning how to defend against falling trees, quaking bogs, or lightning - one of those things will try to take a piece of you long before one of the scraggly pine-wolves do.

Reactions: joc

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What you can be sure of is this: wild animals don't start fights they can't win unless forced. That's where your defense comes in. The best way to put it - don't make yourself look like an easy meal or a threat. Be calm . . . "excuse" yourself from an unwanted encounter but never EVER run. Ever. If a coywolf (or any predator in NJ, really . . .) gets too bold, you should respond with boldness, but not viciousness.

Let them know you aren't weak, but also that they don't have to defend (pups) against you.

Confidence and calmness are your best defenses against coyotes, but its basically moot. Your time would be better spent learning how to defend against falling trees, quaking bogs, or lightning - one of those things will try to take a piece of you long before one of the scraggly pine-wolves do.

That advice is just about perfect Bob. I fear neighborhood dogs more. Lately, in Bamber, several have been pretty bold. Once they advance on me, I advance on them and give them a sharp NO! That is something universal with them, they understand it....another thing they seem to understand is the motion of you picking up a rock to throw it at them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
another thing they seem to understand is the motion of you picking up a rock to throw it at them.

So just stick to the rocky parts of the pines and you won't have to worry about coyotes or wild dogs. :D

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about being attacked by any kind of animals in the pines. What you should worry about are ticks and chiggers.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
All you need to arm yourself with is a quality walking stick from Black Diamond or any other brand. They are one of the greatest tools anyone could possibly have in hand while hiking the Pines. It can be utilized for everything - checking the depth of a bog your walking through, pushing away critters, knocking away spider webs, swatting flies and a worse case scenario, to adjust the attitude of an ill mannered pooch. ;)

I can only recall two documented coyote attacks in the last seven or so years in New Jersey and both were far up north. One was an attack on a owner who was defending a small dog while on a walk and the other was on a child, if my memory is correct. I wouldn't worry at all, just use common sense. Go out and enjoy yourself.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
All you need to arm yourself with is a quality walking stick from Black Diamond or any other brand.

I understand your point, but personally I've never felt the need for a walking stick in the pines. And if I did want a stick, there are plenty of free ones lying around. I can understand how a stick helps when you're climbing mountains, but in the pines it just seems like something unnecessary to carry everywhere.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I understand your point, but personally I've never felt the need for a walking stick in the pines. And if I did want a stick, there are plenty of free ones lying around. I can understand how a stick helps when you're climbing mountains, but in the pines it just seems like something unnecessary to carry everywhere.

It all depends on where you are hiking. It is a must have when your out in the bogs alone. One wrong step in a hole could put you in serious danger. I use the one I have every time I am out to test how deep things are and to help me hop mound to mound. The version I use weighs nothing and collapses to about a foot in length. The problem that I have is that I can never find the right stick when I need one.:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

I have to agree with you on this one Boyd.In thick brush a stick seems to just get in my way.I like to have both hands available for holding on to things and fending brush away from my face.I do appreciate a good stick in bogs and creek crossings but can usually find one nearby and then toss it when done with it.If I had a stick I really loved i would leave it somewhere and lose it.I do occasionally carry a thin metal rod with me for stone probing and in thick brush it does get in the way.I have painted it flourescent lime green and have still left it several times stuck in the ground,once I left it and never missed till on the return trip it jumped out at me and I said wow! I left you an hour ago and never missed you! The stone I had looked for was easily visible hence I didn't need it.It is actually a stake shaped flower pot holder.

Ms Oats

Scout
Aug 7, 2013
Bayville, NJ
I absolutely LOVE the photos everyone has posted of the coyotes. Living down here since the early 90s and going out walking and driving in the pines, only have recently (this past weekend at Martha and about a 2 months ago in Waretown) have I even seen evidence of coyotes. My boss and her husband have seen bobcats at stafford forge, I don't know if anyone here has. I will say I agree with Boyd, I have never once felt intimidated by an animal anywhere in the woods, I'm generally more nervous about bumping into scary people than scary animals. In regards to the picture of the kid holding up the body of the coyote- I don't understand why someone would shoot a coyote other than when being attacked, but then again, I don't understand hunting for the fun of it, but to me, thats a very sad picture. Bobbleton, the last one you posted of the pup looking back is precious!!!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hi,

Great shots! Not familiar with the "former C.C.C. camp nursery", is that along Jackson Rd. Atco/Medford? I spotted a medium sized one a couple hundred yards from the wildlife refuge, near the old bogs when MTN biking about a year ago.

thks, ed

It's one of many. It was in the area formerly known as Lebanon State Forest.

Jeff