Crews Battling Wildfire Along Mullica River in South Jersey’s Wharton State Forest

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Brooksbrae, terracotta factory?
No. Asa Pittman and/or his dad had a brick factory. It's exact location has been in question by various individuals in the past and present. His wife claimed she could look through the woods from their home in Upton and see the glow of the ovens from there. One location that is up for discussion is along Mt. Misery road on the south side between Route 70 and Mt. Misery.

Reactions: TommyP

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With that said, I don't know where this fire is and don't know if they are referring to Brooksbre or the Pittman brick factory. We need more information.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are saying Pasadena Road which makes one think it is Brooksbre, but I originally heard it was in Mt. Misery and that road is sometimes called Pasadena Mt. Misery Road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I apologize. This is the one I was thinking of.
Okay. Then it is Brooksbre and not anywhere near Mt. Misery. Once I read Mt. Misery on Facebook I did not even think of Brooksbrae.

That is way too close to homes for anyone to be starting fires there.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
When I heard Brick Yard fire in Manchester I was thinking of where Rt 70 and Manchester Blvd meet. But that is not near Brendan Bryne SF. My wife just told me about another fire on the Tabernacle/Chatsworth border

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looks like rain is starting to move into that area now with the forecast calling for between one inch and an inch and a half through tonight.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't care about it being closed. It has no effect on me and I'm not crying about it.
Back when the original MAP was being discussed they could have closed every road in Wharton and it wouldn't have really affected me. At the time, I drove a 2013 Ford Taurus, which kept me pretty much out of the woods in and of itself. However I fought really, really hard against it because it would affect a lot of other people that I know and care about and also because it was such a massive change in the status quo that was planned in secret between the Wharton Superintendent and the PPA and I was opposed to that on ethical reasons.

Sometimes you have to stand up against things that are wrong, even though you're not inconvenienced by them.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took the FFS map from a photo on their Facebook page and added to a topo map. If they have the full fire area marked the fire started behind Brooksbrae.

ffs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyP and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I did the same thing Guy....several spungs in the area could be burned, which is good for new growth. I shook my head at the Facebook people throwing thoughts and prayers that the fire would be quickly put out so the forest would not die.

• Haha
Reactions: noboat

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea.... some crazy thoughts that the fire itself will ruin the woods. They need to look around and see what happens after a fire.

I will be going there next week. I have a few things to look for in that triangle. I will check out the spungs. I was on Broken Arm road in 2005 and found the Burlington County #20 monument surveyed and placed there by Winfield Eldridge but I have a few other things to look for.

IMG_6094a.jpg