Deadly Traps in Wharton SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
It has been reported on a Jeep retaled website that various traps has been found within Wharton State Forest. Some are wire strung across dirt roads, fire cuts and other walking trails. Other discoveries found were section of plywood with nails sticking through them placed at the bottom of puddles with standing water along the jeep roads and thinner strips of wood with nails in other areas.

The Park police are investagating these finds and are looking for help to capture the criminals, if you come across any, report it to the Park Police or go to Basto or Atsion Ranger station to report and show where it was found.

Heard there was a guy in North Jersey that set up traps like this and almost killed the municipal judge in his town who was riding down a trail on an ORV. He and his helpers are in jail right now...

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
when I asked for the link from the guy who posted this info on another site, he told me that the site is a private site that you must be a club member (pay) to access. I tried to get on it, but was unable..

screen shot from where I got the info from..

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 559

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i heard about this from the same website.. haven't seen it first hand. i would not doubt it's true. i was going to post something on here about it, but decided not to. thanks medfordpiney. a friend of mine came across some things of this nature a few yrs back. not sure if he actually hit one or not. maybe he'll respond, as he's a member of this site.. it's freaking sick, that's what it is.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
As a offroad motorcyclist, I think this is definately something to be concerned about. A few years ago I hit a wire that was strung up across 2 trees. Luckily it broke but ripped my Camel Back drink system off! This was around Harrisonville Lake. That wasnt hearsay, I experienced it! Dont kid yourself, this stuff DOES happen! That wasnt the first time either. When I was a kid, there was this older kid that used to hunt in the woods by my house. He would put up fishing line, bury boards with nails etc. One of my friends stepped on a board and the nail just missed his foot! He almost shot another friend and I while walking in the woods. We came around a turn in the trail and there he was, pointing his shot gun at us! He said he thought we were deer!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This type of thing is simply not new. It is wrong, and hurtful. Being opposed to 4WD and ORV activity is one thing, but this type of activity is irresponsible. I do not even think in many cases it is groups that think they are protecting anything. I get the impression it's just jerks having fun or the occasional idiot thinking he/she is doing some service. Unfortunately it is easy to look on sites like this one & JD 4X4 and plenty others to see where folks like to frequent.
My own experiences... I ride quad, in the woods, plain and simple. I'll not go further. I don't ride much anymore because of all the negative politics. I ride respectfully and used to ride alot at night to avoid people. Years ago when riding off Burnt Mill Road & swinging around toward where Rariton comes in I encountered a rope at neck height for a rider. Headlights caught it and I dodged it and then cut it down.
There was another I did not miss. Back in the Hammonton area one night, I was riding and the headlights caught it too late... One single strand of dull rusty barbed wire, not easily illuminated, strung across a span. I couldn't avoid so I tucked way back and lay my helmet and chin on my tank. The wire raked over the helmet, caught the back of my neck (did a nice slice job) and proceeded to disembowel the back of my riding jacket. I stayed on the bike, the wire did give out & brake, but I learned that night how F'd up people can be. That could have been anyone and could have been their chest or neck.
Whether the objective is to damage a vehicle or harm a person, nothing justifies this nonsense. I do hope that the stuff posted on that site is just hearsay, but I would encourage folks to take care just the same. How much would it suck if a guy like Whippoorbill was just out one night snapping some shots and wound up with four flat tires. See my point?

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Even supposedly stable people do this sort of thing. I broke all 5 bones in the top of my foot due to the guy who owned the local sand mine. He dug trenches 3 feet wide by 18" deep all the way across the road, and then he flattened out the dirt pile as a result of digging the trenches so you didn't know they were even there. I locked up my dual sport bike brakes 15 feet in front of a trench while going 30 mph. My foot must have caught in the frame. Upon further investigation he dug 5 of these trenches along a mile stretch. In my foot cast, I went to the main office and accused him. He claims he did not do it.

Bull, he did do it.

I did not sue, because I am not sue happy and was trespassing. But, in retrospect, I should have sued. I'd of won.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow, there are seriously sick people out there. I remember seeing a kid on a talk show a number of years ago that was riding a dirt bike and ran into a neck level wire set there by the property owner. He barely survived but is now mute and slightly disfigured.

This was a terrible thing to do, even on one's property. To do this on state land it disgusting. Right up there with serial killer disgusting. In a way, maybe worse. At least serial killers look there victims in the eye.

Jeff

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
eco-terrorism. whoever is doing this, probably hopes that word will spread and ppl will be afraid to ride in the pines, that their mission will be accomplished w/o anyone getting hurt.. then again, if someone gets hurt, they feel justified in their actions.. an odd bunch..

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
yep i have found some of these past the rr tracks behind atsion a few years ago on some rarely used hiking trails and marked the on my gps and called the park police and gave the the cords, never got a call back form them

definatly a mad person in the area !!

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Let's hope these "environmentalists" stay away from this area.

Yahoo news....

WOODINVILLE, Wash. - Fires gutted four multimillion-dollar model homes in a Seattle suburb on Monday, and authorities found a sign purportedly left by eco-terrorists that mocks claims that the homes were environmentally friendly.

"Built Green? Nope black!" said the spray-painted sign that bore the initials of the radical environmental group Earth Liberation Front.

Explosive devices were found in the homes, and crews were able to remove them, said Fire Chief Rick Eastman of Snohomish County District 7. The FBI was investigating the fires as a potential domestic terrorism act, said FBI spokesman Rich Kolko in Washington, D.C.

The fires started at the "Street of Dreams," a strip of unoccupied, furnished luxury model homes where developers show off the latest in high-end housing, interior design and landscaping. The homes are later sold.

No injuries were reported in the fires, which began before dawn in the wooded subdivision and were still smoldering by midmorning.

The homes are in a development near the headwaters of Bear Creek, which is home to endangered chinook salmon. Opponents of the development had questioned whether the luxury homes could pollute the creek and an aquifer that is a drinking water source, and whether enough was done to protect nearby wetlands.

The sign, a sheet with red scraggly letters, said "McMansions in RCDs r not green," a reference to rural cluster developments.

One of the people involved in the project said the homes used "green" techniques such as water-pervious sidewalks, super-insulated walls and windows and products made with recycled materials, such carpet pads. Advertising for last summer's Street of Dreams show focused on the environmentally friendly aspects of the homes, which were smaller than some of the huge houses featured in years past.

"It's very disappointing to take a situation where we're tying to promote good building practices — Built Green practices — and that it's destroyed," said Doug Barnes, the Northwest division president of Centex Homes in Kirkland and the immediate past president of the Master Builders Association of King & Snohomish Counties.

The homes that burned were between 4,200 and 4,750 square feet in size, with prices up to nearly $2 million.

The ELF, or Earth Liberation Front, is a loosely organized collection of radical environmentalists authorities claim committed other arsons in the Northwest.

A woman is currently trial in Tacoma for a suspected ELF fire at the University of Washington in 2001. Briana Waters, a 32-year-old violin teacher, is accused of serving as a lookout while her friends planted a devastating fire bomb.

The fire is one of the most notorious in a string of arsons that investigators say were perpetrated from the mid-1990s to 2001 by ELF.

No one was hurt in the arson at UW, but its Center for Urban Horticulture was destroyed and rebuilt at a cost of $7 million. It was targeted because the ELF activists mistakenly believed researchers there were genetically engineering trees, investigators said.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
These guys are going to get treated just like terrorists, which is what they are. I give the FBI a 90+% chance of catching at least some of the actors within a year, just based on the level of intelligence indicated by that sign they left.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
mark - are you talking about the ppl burning down houses or the one leaving deadly traps in wharton ? I was out in wharton today, and i did not encounter any - of course, i did let my friend ride ahead of me me..:)

Mar 1, 2008
The extreme measures taken by ELF are sad, they are fighting for a good cause but they accomlished nothing by burning down houses. All the houses will be replaced, using more materials from the very earth they are trying to save.

Status
Not open for further replies.