DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
I'm attaching selective portions of the 1979 Pinelands Protection Act that I thought some members may find interesting. The highlighting is mine and should not be construed as part of the Act. I have intentionally not provided my comments and questions but encourage other interested members to do so. The Pinelands Protection Act and its Federal counterpart are available in their entirety on the Pinelands Commission website

Attachments

• Pinelands Protection Act.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
Reactions: Bog Mermaid

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm attaching selective portions of the 1979 Pinelands Protection Act that I thought some members may find interesting. The highlighting is mine and should not be construed as part of the Act. I have intentionally not provided my comments and questions but encourage other interested members to do so. The Pinelands Protection Act and its Federal counterpart are available in their entirety on the Pinelands Commission website
So, the way I read this, the Pinelands Commission designates the roads open for travel by motor vehicles?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For those of you who don't have Facebook here it is in plain text.

REMINDER! The State Park Service will host the first in a series of virtual public stakeholder meetings at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27, launching a Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey to develop an access and use plan for Wharton State Forest.
In this meeting, participants will be introduced to a new web-based survey and mapping tool where park users will answer questions about their favorite recreational activities in Wharton State Forest, such as fishing, hiking, boating and scenic driving, among others.
The survey will allow participants to mark areas of importance on an interactive mapping tool which may be of personal significance or natural or historic resource importance.
The results of the survey will be used to enhance Wharton State Forest’s map to clearly define designated safe and legal routes for vehicle usage, while protecting culturally and ecologically sensitive areas.

Watch the Virtual Public Meeting at 6 p.m. on Sept 27: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetu...3a","IsBroadcastMeeting":true}&btype=a&role=a

Sign up for the Visitor and Vehicle Use Email List: http://njparksandforests.org/wharton/

Learn more about Wharton State Forest: https://njparksandforests.org/parks/whartonstateforest.html

Read the Department of Environmental Protection’s press release: https://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2022/22_0036.htm
#NJStateParks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was just told that Teams only allows 1000 attendees and after that it is viewing only. So with thousands I suspect logging in, most viewers will be just watching. Unless something is different but I doubt it.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was just told that Teams only allows 1000 attendees and after that it is viewing only. So with thousands I suspect logging in, most viewers will be just watching. Unless something is different but I doubt it.
I don't foresee much interaction between attendees and the hosts taking place in this meeting. When you read the information regarding the purpose of the meeting, it sounds like it is primarily an introduction of the survey and interactive map.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I am curious to see what remediation will be conducted on quaker bridge road. I can’t think of any off road vehicle damage there except maybe at the “parking” area before the quaker bridge launch. Which is really just from people parking there. There is a no vehicle sign at an erosion spot. I don’t know if that was put there by someone mistaking natural erosion for ORV damage or they think someone would be tempted to utilize it for that purpose. Which no one ever has. The most noticeable things are holes dug by the state to improve the road.
I guess I’ll find out this weekend. I just hope the efforts of the volunteers are well planned and actually beneficial. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I have:
1663864909587.png

Reactions: Teegate
I don't foresee much interaction between attendees and the hosts taking place in this meeting. When you read the information regarding the purpose of the meeting, it sounds like it is primarily an introduction of the survey and interactive map.
I agree, that's what it sounds like. I don't think it's going to be very interactive. Sounds like the survey will be where people will be able to give input rather than this meeting.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I won't be able to attend the meeting so I'm hoping they make a recording available afterward. I didn't see mention of that anywhere, but sometimes they do that.
I suspect they will. They don't seem to be trying to keep anyone from viewing the meeting so why not make a recording. We shall see.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens