Fall/Winter Stone Searching 2019/2020

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you call that Savoy there at Bullock then it is. Google calls it Pasadena Woodmansie Road but it really is the old road.

It is here.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I think there could be the small possibility that some some of the open areas that can be seen in Bob's #35 post could be from logging. I recall there being a steam engine base made from brick in the immediate area. I have a picture of that base somewhere.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
WE were also at Brooksbre today. They have painted the complete road where you park and anything and everything as you walk in. I would think that maybe it is best to leave them alone so they stay there. However, the trash and empty paint cans are really annoying.

Taken with my camera.

I had an iPhone 10 with me today but it is not mine. The colors are really nice.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: bobpbx

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
If you call that Savoy there at Bullock then it is. Google calls it Pasadena Woodmansie Road but it really is the old road.

It is here.

Yes, we're talking about the same place. When I was there last, a few years ago there was no additional planking which made it a bit tricky to cross.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Tom, Al,

I really did not realize Old Half Way was the clay pits. I thought that Old Half Way was southeast of the pits a mile or so. When were they dug out? In the 1930's it looks like bare ground. Wasn't there a travelers rest stop there in the 19th century?

View attachment 12618
The cellar holes are along the south side of the pit.If memory serves me there are several between the road and pit edge in the scrub oak and maybe one or two south of the road as well.Small holes,nothing spectacular

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The cellar holes are along the south side of the pit.If memory serves me there are several between the road and pit edge in the scrub oak and maybe one or two south of the road as well.Small holes,nothing spectacular

And that matches with the 1/4 mile distance from the GS stone.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you read the article I posted yesterday in the newspaper forum, you may have noticed the photo of the Monroe stone near Cedar Bridge. I had known about that stone for a while but never visited it because it is right near a home and we usually stay away from those places. However, it is state property so we went there today and took a few photos and left. The sun was on the wrong side of the stone which makes for a bad photo. Anyway, this is the JW JM 1743 stone, the beginning corner to the John Monroe tract. It is interesting to see that as I mentioned in a previous post, Jerseyman told me that in the 1700's it was common practice to use the capital letter I (Eye) in place of the letter J for the first name. So this stone which is the JM stone has the initials written IM, the same as the Burr stone I posted a photo of a month ago.

While in the area we were able to find another stone for the survey on top of a small rise on the side of the road with the vegetation around it recently cut.

A description of the JM 1743 stone from an old deed where the deed itself mentions an older deed.

Beginning at a stone lettered JM on the north side and JW on the South side, standing about North 48 degrees West, 950 feet from the bridge below the sheeting of the old saw mill, and according to old deeds within 100 feet from the South side of the road leading to the Old Half Way.

We have more to find with one of them just a short distance from Route 72 in thick briers the last time we were there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We also today walked 4 miles from Bullock down the county line and throughout the woods all the way to the northern lake of Old Half Way. Along the way we found this monument along the county line on the edge of property that at one time was owned by the Enterprise White Clay Company, incorporated in 1909.

Jessica again poking around came up with this one.

And this one was frustrating me. We had looked for it in the past and today while going there again I looked down and there it was. About 50 feet from where I was looking for it. This is in the burned area that I should have visited after it burned. I am not certain yet but I believe it was also the property corner of the Enterprise White Clay Company.

This is an old monument. It may date to 1911 and maybe 1909.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If you read the article I posted yesterday in the newspaper forum, you may have noticed the photo of the Monroe stone near Cedar Bridge. I had known about that stone for a while but never visited it because it is right near a home and we usually stay away from those places. However, it is state property so we went there today and took a few photos and left. The sun was on the wrong side of the stone which makes for a bad photo. Anyway, this is the JW JM 1743 stone, the beginning corner to the John Monroe tract. It is interesting to see that as I mentioned in a previous post, Jerseyman told me that in the 1700's it was common practice to use the capital letter I (Eye) in place of the letter J for the first name. So this stone which is the JM stone has the initials written IM, the same as the Burr stone I posted a photo of a month ago.

View attachment 12648

While in the area we were able to find another stone for the survey on top of a small rise on the side of the road with the vegetation around it recently cut.

View attachment 12649

A description of the JM 1743 stone from an old deed where the deed itself mentions an older deed.

Beginning at a stone lettered JM on the north side and JW on the South side, standing about North 48 degrees West, 950 feet from the bridge below the sheeting of the old saw mill, and according to old deeds within 100 feet from the South side of the road leading to the Old Half Way.

We have more to find with one of them just a short distance from Route 72 in thick briers the last time we were there.
I think I can find that big one from the description:) I guess no one from the house asked you what you were doing:)

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
They look fairly clean so they were probably going to wherever. Were they headed E or W? Those tractor tires mean only one thing, mudslinging. I sometimes see similar with quads stacked on a trailer near the parkway on rt 532, in the morning clean, late afternoon dripping with mud. Does Cluen [sp] still allow riding on his property for a fee? Ocean county's new acquisition is going to be "fun" patroling even with live webcams.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They were parked on 72 in front of the WaWa at 70 heading west.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today we revisited the Cedar Bridge area looking for the second stone of the John Monroe tract. The deed says:

"North 78 degrees and 38 minutes East, 25 and a half chains to a stone corner to the original survey"

We then looked for the next corner stone. The deed states:

"South 85 degrees and 47 minutes east to a stone placed years ago beside the pine stump, the original third corner to the Monroe survey"

This stone is big, out of the ground and looks like a pizza slice. It is about 8 inches thick. If they had run Route 72 slightly more south this stone would be long gone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today, Rob from work and the two of us spent about 4 hours exploring in two locations. The first place we visited was behind the stone mountain along Carranza Road at Hampton Gate. Not having actually gone past the top of the mountain, I was surprised how far they extended. We crossed the Bard Branch cedar swamp and found a property stone that appears to be concrete. The property at one time was owned by Hester A. Gager. Today, it is the property of the Jersey-Maine Deer Club.

This map dates to sometime shortly after 1898.

We wanted to go further but I made the decision to turn around as the briers looked inpenatrable. On the way back we walked the summit of the hills rather than the path that is there.

From there we traveled to the woods behind the Hedger House looking for more AL stones. I was certain more were to be found. You may remember that Jerseyman felt the AL may have been Arney Lippincott who owned the Hedger House tract until 1859. The area they are in is extremely tough to navigate and after a short time I again made the decision to turn back and hit only one of the two locations I believed they may be at. We had to again cross the swamp we had just fought so hard to get across. However, it was a good decision. When circling around at the location I found the AL stone broken in two with the bottom portion still firmly planted in the ground. I placed them together for this photo.

With at least one more location to look, I am hoping to have another one photographed very soon.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No problem Al. This last one is much easier to get to and if I find the next one as I except I may, with a little maneuvering around private property you will see them.

BTW Al, early this morning I received this text from Rob who went with us, writing about Jessica.

"I meant to say this to Jessica yesterday. She does really well out there hiking. Last time I went with you and her, she wasn't nearly as good as she is now"

She seemed happy to hear that :)