Fall/Winter Stone Searching 2019/2020

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After the dot is Webb. Then I would think the next work is tract only because the map has other locations and has the name. It is the word that starts with S that confuses me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This mornings main goal was to find the "stone & stump" mentioned on the below map, and look again for the 2 1/2 foot high large stone that is also shown. I was pretty certain the large stone was not there and again that turned out to be true, so we turned our sights on the "stone & stump" location. We were quite surprised as we neared the location I felt it was at.

The map.

IMG_3968a.JPG

If this is just a stone the large stone must have been impressive. The broken portion is laying nearby.

IMG_3970a.JPG

IMG_3974a.JPG

From there we headed to the burned area near Barnegat Wreckers where we found another corner to the Barnegat Heights paper development. Actually, we found two others right behind Barnegat Wreckers.

The burned area as we came upon it.

IMG_3977a.JPG

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was in Greenwood today just getting back to my car when we heard something coming. We were surprised to see this heading into the woods.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That what we were thinking. We were waiting for him to stop and ask us if he could go down there but obviously he didn't. That road goes to 539 but in some area's it is not nice. I guess he won't get stuck though.

We had to turn around today in Penn Forest. Didn't want to get stuck. I will look for that video.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am always looking the 1931 aerials over trying to find sawmill locations that I don't know about. Yesterday, my interest was peaked when I saw this. It is a classic view in my mind of where one may be.

1931.JPG

So without Jessica today, I motored there early this morning to check it out. As I exited my car nearby, the place had all the classic signs of a good location. The woods looked correct, the cleared ground looked good, it just felt right. And as I walked towards it I could see the depression in the ground and I knew I had found one.

IMG_4034a.JPG

This is a single sawmill foundation which seemed right for the area. It isn't in an area where massive amount of cedar was available.

IMG_4033a.JPG

With my day going well I continued on, changing gears and looking for property stones. Arriving at this interesting bridge I wandered around for a while until I was able to find it. I had walked back and forth across the bridge multiple times before I realized it was right there.

IMG_4039a.JPG

IMG_4038a.JPG

The bridge, which by the way is very solid.

IMG_4035a.JPG

Then I found another stone not far away.This one was along private property and I really had to be careful when looking. I did not know where it was and could see the private property signs nearby. Looking at my tracks I did quite well staying on state land.

IMG_4043a.JPG

Then moving to the swamp, I struggled through brier and dense vegetation and just as I arrived to my intended area to search, I found this laying on the ground. This hunter really was working hard to find a deer. Kudo's to him! He was a trooper.

IMG_4051a.JPG

It even had the pen and ties.

IMG_4052a.JPG

The stone was so well hidden he certainly never saw it.

IMG_4048a.JPG

Sorry, I know nothing about the past history of the stones to make this more interesting.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
"The stone was so well hidden he certainly never saw it."
But you found it, LOL. The last thing on his mind was a stone probably which if he did see it he wouldn't know what it represents or since it's not his hobby, care. As usual good job in playing hide & seek.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Winter has its drawbacks. I hate not getting to where I want to go.

I recall taking a ride thru Greenwood a few years back. Turned onto a side road near the Quail fields that looked fine until we started down a sloped portion. There was a thin coating of muddy water over ice, unreal how slippery it was, like driving a toboggan, could not turn around, just followed the road till it leveled out and hoped the 4WD would get us back up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Before visiting the truck in my recent post, we stone searched near Ongs Hat. At our first location right where we wanted to be was a deer Stan/blind with corn, potatoes, apples and other nice food. There even was a homemade corn feeder made from a trash can and lawnmower parts. More on that later in the post. Anyway, we did not find the stone and did not bother the hunters spot, and did not even take photos. We moved on to another location very close by and found this one partially broken off.

IMG_4061a.JPG

About 70 feet away we found another one. Looks well worn from the weather.
IMG_4064a.JPG

At this point we had a 1/2 mile walk straight through the woods to our next intended location. The woods were interesting and fairly easy to travers, but still pushed up our heart rate. When we arrived Jessica gave me a semi tough time about the needless woods walk.:D

The stone is underground by my stick.

IMG_4070a.JPG

After walking the road back to the car, we ran into the hunter who made the homemade trash can feeder. His name was John from Browns Mills and he drove a Jeep. We talked about 10 minutes. He was really nice and knew about the stones we found and even gave me a tip on a possible old home location by his stand that we did not see. A revisit is upcoming.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Have found a dozen stones in the last two weeks but my phone was in the shop,had to replace it actually so I was without camera.just found one stone where a monument was supposed to be and wasnt.the stone had plastic melted to it.From what i don't know but it was in an eight year old burn.Found another a couple monuments down the line a nice round white quartz stone also in a burned area,several of the monuments had been crumbled from the heat.These were exceptions to Bevan property owned by whitehead bros sand mining which they eventually sold to the state.Found the old deed on the clerks site. Now I need to go back to all of them and photo

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out today with Lost Town Hunter showing him a few stones I found. We stopped in and visited the Atkerson grave as we occasionally do when we pass by together.

IMG_4151a.JPG

It has weathered the last 20 years fairly well.

IMG_4149c.JPG

We were passing by the North Trenton Gun Club today and received a friendly wave from one of the members. I backed up and we pulled in. We spent the next 45 minutes in the building talking about the area and other things. They could not have been any nicer. Offered us food and drink and offered again and again. I felt bad about not accepting but I have to tell you I have been wearing invasalign braces since July after loosing my front tooth and the bone to an infection last January, most likely directly/indirectly from a large pothole in the road at Howardville that I posted about I believe in late 2018. I had to have bone grafts before I could even get the braces to try and move my teeth together. I have to take the braces out to eat or drink and I hate putting them back in without cleaning them, so I refused their food. The braces are quite an ordeal at my age, but it will be over in three weeks hopefully.

I asked and received permission to take photos and I decided to just take one.

IMG_4154b.JPG

Reactions: Boyd

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Absolutely the worst place for the TV. The tv looks to be the main source of entertainment by the looks of the comfortable chairs. Is that a dog sleeping on the couch to the right?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Might be. There were a couple of dogs running around. Nice dogs who would go in and out and not leave the property.