Fall/Winter Stone Searching 2019/2020

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This display is still on the Black Horse Pike next to the old Finnerty's Hut Bar. No business appears to be associated with it anymore.
hub cap.JPG
near Mizpah.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have been busy on a project in the pines for the past month and have not had time to do anything else lately. Sorry for not posting much. So today after maybe finishing up we looked for some stones. One that we did not get to look for today is on a deed from 4/18/1754. Yes 1754. We were able to get close and this one may or may not date to that era.

Had to poke around for a while to find this one. Right along an old fence line.

IMG_4284a.JPG

IMG_4285a.JPG

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

For the most part the Wharton survey in the 50s was quite accurate; however, they did make mistakes. In 2009 I circumnavigated the large private tracts of land near Green Bank along 563 looking for the property stones. Many of these stones date to the Nicholas Sooy era. In fact, Nicholas Sooy owned one of the properties nearby as this deed tells us.

Beginning at a stake for a corner, said stake being South, seventy-four degrees and fifty-five minutes West, two chains and eighty-six links from the Southwest corner of the late Nicholas Sooy's dwelling house, and running thence North, twenty-one degrees East, six chains; thence South, sixty-nine degrees, East, eight chains, and thirty four links to a stone for a corner.........

Anyway, I visited the area today and spent 4 hours pushing through dense briers tearing myself up looking for many I missed or could not find before. In the photos below you can see the state tax map which is correct, and below that the Wharton survey with the yellow arrow showing the missing property line. They actually put state survey monuments on private land as they somehow did not realize that Joseph Wharton did not own it.

white.JPG

Scroll back and forth between the two photos and notice the missing property line in the Wharton survey below.

yellow.JPG

But the good news for me is the state 3 years ago acquired the property outlined just above the arrows which allowed me to get to the monuments or stone located there.

This one had the stone right next to the monument which is rare in Wharton.
IMG_2855a.JPG

This is a Wharton monument on top of a turf bank for an old blueberry field that may have been at one time a cranberry bog. Very tough to get to but I will return as there is some history in the area.

IMG_2903a.JPG

And a Wharton monument that has been removed from the ground.

IMG_2910a.JPG

Reactions: Boyd

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
That looks like it was a well-used road at the turn of the 20th century. Be neat to walk it from Jenkins down to 542 at Green Bank.
I have walked it in the winter and springtime with Turtle and others. It had water flowing across the road in spring. Maybe it was used intermittently?

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not yesterday but Al, Jessica and myself have been there a few times. That property was owned by William Richards and Nicholas Sooy. We found the Richards/Sooy stone and the Cow Horn stone there.

The William Richards/ Nicholas Sooy stone.
IMG_4120a.JPG

Most of that is Wharton; however, again, the Wharton survey team failed to realize in the middle of that plot there was property they did not own. When I visited there just at the edge of the property was this truck.

IMG_6681a.JPG

And standing on the edge of the property is was completely different than the rest. Whoever owned it had let it thicken up and it was unlike any place I have seen. The property was sold by Edwin B. Johnson to John C. TenEyke on July 25, 1875. Then it eventually was owned by Nicholas Weeks and on July 3, 1948 a survey was done which I have. Wharton purchased the area and they failed to realize right in the middle someone owned 6.81 acres, and certainly sometime after they found out they did not own it. Just after I visited there in 2010 it was purchased by Horace and Doris Jones, and in 2017 it was sold again to the present owner.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We visited this area today in Bamber that the state logged just a couple years ago. I don't know if it was for the wood or to eliminate pests. If you know... let us know. You have to walk to get there as there is a sign blocking the road in even though the FFS just drove around it to burn the place. I have to assume they burned it to allow the pine cones to drop seeds. Again, if you know... let us know.

Here it is today.

IMG_4365a.JPG

Our main goal was to find a large stone along the edges of an old blueberry field, and getting there was a challenge. The area was full of brier so we had to circle around it until we found a way in.

IMG_4368a.JPG

At the stone on the edge of the upland.

IMG_4380a.JPG

And a video of us arriving.

https://youtu.be/2n3RnsmUXDE