Fire in Wharton

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I find it odd. The woods do not appear to be dry over here. In fact, they are so lush that some of my haunts don't even look the same.

It's high summer boys! My kind of season. Its so warm out I was slapping pine files off my head at 8:30 PM.

The pine flies are just impossible this year. As they are every summer. Not my kind of weather, I actually avoid the woods in this. Between the heat, pine flies, ticks, and dehydration...:jeffd:
Just about the only things I like about summer are thunderstorms and those ladies in those skimpy little sundresses.:guinness:

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Teegate,
I think the map is showing the smoke plume on radar which would not register until the smoke had risen 500 ft or so. It also would have drifted east by then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate,
I think the map is showing the smoke plume on radar which would not register until the smoke had risen 500 ft or so. It also would have drifted east by then.

Could be. Then it would be more accurate. The radar shows the smoke right above Lower Forge.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I believe the smoke even in the not so near vicinity of any fire to be decieving in these woods. You could just as easily think a fire was right on top of you that is far away or have one at your heels and not realize it.
Funny stuff the way it is driven through and above the trees. It really was unbelievably thick right across the the park entrance and up to the ranger station last night. At 6 o'clock with plenty of daylight you could barely make out headlights or the forms of the forestry trucks in there. What was unsettling about it's proximity was that they were already preparing backfires along 206.
Oh, car still stinks this morning. It would have to be my Corvette that I took last night to enjoy the night air instead of my other car. Nice & smoky inside now.

G.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
206 still an issue 8:30 A.M.

After last post I went down to the post office and a confused driver was directed to me because I'm from "Out that way". How quaint.
Seems he took Chew road/536 from 30 to get up 206 to Stokes in Medford and was turned away. After setting him proper I decided to go check it out.
Sure enough get right to the end of Chew road and 206 North is blocked right there, no pass. When you look North you can clearly see the Emergency vehicles and ground level smoke right about where Rockwood Road comes out. Just an FYI to site travelers. Based on what I saw last night, they are probably still turning people away where Stokes comes in so if you've got driving planned out that way you might want to figure in an alternate route.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The news said they expect to have it under control soon.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I may have to venture out there one evening during the week.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Since I had to go to Medford I decided to check things out. The traffic report said Rt 206 was closed at Rt 30 but offered no other info. So I took Columbia Rd from Rt 542 figuring I could at least get far enough on 206 to pickup Chew Rd. Coming up Columbia Rd I could see a pretty large cloud of smoke to the North. When I got to 206 they wouldn't let me go North so I had to go back South on 206 where I noticed all the side roads were blocked. I took Union Rd to Fleming Pike and then Rt 30 to Atco. This was around 10:00AM.

Thought it would be fun to take Jackson Rd into Medford since I haven't been out there for awhile. When I got near the Woodford Center I noticed a bunch of cars stopped and trying to turn around. These were lost people looking for Rt 30 after discovering that 206 South was closed. When they reached the end of the pavement they were stumped and decided to go back; I gave one lady some directions.

Hope they get things under control. I listened to a variety of radio stations in the car and there was really no news about the fire, guess all the reporters had the weekend off...

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Everytime I hear of a fire like this in the Pines, I get fearful that the State will decide to start limiting/blocking access to those dirt roads. Granted, we've yet to get a cause for this fire, but NJ is such a screwed-up state when it comes to things like this, I'm fearful they may have the attitude that if they shut-down all the roads for good, the amount of fires would be less.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I simply can not escape this smoke!

Just this afternoon my car started to smell a little normal. One hour ago I walked out 'cause I thought I smelled smoke.Well, round Figure I'm about 4 miles West of 206 and a handful more of that South from Atsion. My entire woods surrounding me and all the fields around me are permiated with the crap. It reeks. Guess the winds are favoring me lately. I got the air cranked just to use the filters in it to calm the smell down. It actually looks a little surreal looking out all my windows but this ain't a first for me. I would go out to check it out but don't want more of the stink in. EeeeYuck!
hope ya'll on any other boundaries of the fire have been spared this.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at work in Pennsauken and the air was full of smoke there last night from it. And to a lesser degree I can smell it at my house.

Guy

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I was at work in Pennsauken and the air was full of smoke there last night from it. And to a lesser degree I can smell it at my house.

Guy

Isn't pennsauken west of the fire? My mother was driving home to West deptford from Pitman last night and she said that she could smell smoke all along Woodbury Glassboro road. The smoke from the Wharton fire looks like it is blowing east. Is there a fire in PA.?