Fire in Wharton

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I went down to Atsion to check out the fire today. They didn't have 206 blocked off, but they did have a lot of emergency vehicles out. They were doing a controlled burn just South of Atsion. They had blocked off Quaker Bridge Rd.

In the Atsion parking lot, they had tents set up for the firefighters, and three helicopters were parked in the big field behind the mansion. We later saw two of them getting water from Atsion Lake and dumping it into the woods South of Atsion.

IMG_00121.jpg

That's the smoke as seen from 693 near the Hammonton Airport.

IMG_00131.jpg

Scooping

IMG_00141.jpg

Still scooping

IMG_00151.jpg

Taking off

IMG_00161.jpg

Off to dump some water

Kudos to the brave men and women who fight these fires.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
how can one get involved w/ serving as a volunteer w/ the NJ Forest Fire service ? while I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands (everyone is busy), my home town is tabernacle, my parents live there, i'm there most wkends, i know wharton very well (from riding in jeeps, dirt bikes (dualsports and enduros) ) and i just love the pine barrens. hats off to these brave ppl.. god bless them..

hope this rain helped.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
our radars show two completly different things isnt that wierd?

Not really... that image was from the Dover AFB NEXRAD, yours were probably from the National Weather Service in Mt. Holly. That storm was coming from the South, so the Dover radar seemed to give a better idea of where it was headed.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
did they kayak down the mullica or batsto river ? They were both closed this wkend.. that would be a site.. paddling along a blackened shore that was still smokey. if anyone does take a paddle down one of these rivers, take pictures and post a report please .. thanks.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Ill be out there on Sunday. My in-laws took a kayak trip through the area yesterday. They said that it was smokey and cool looking, but they didnt see any flames.

I'll be running (slowly!) in the Batsto run on Sunday and will have to check out the fire area after the race.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I was at Batsto on Yesterday, and took the blue trail that loops partially around the lake at Batsto, i did not see any damage in that area. I did see some emregency vehichles at the ranger station at Atsion

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Nice captures of the copters Ben.
They are impressive to see in the state in which they transport water.
I believe you were at Batsto last year, but I do not know if you saw the demonstration. When they dip in, they are leisurely but when they come out those motors are working with that load of water. You can actually feel the difference in the air near them. It was fortunate they had a body of water right there to use. Glad you got out & thanks for sharing.

G.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That was not a fire boys, that was a light burn. What a big deal they made outta that.

Come to Ocean County if you want to see a fire.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
So how did it start?
A friend of mine has a suspicion that it began as a controlled burn but got out of hand due to heavy winds. That seems possible but not probable. I also heard that it may have been a carelessly tossed cigarrette or a lazy hiker, but as far as I know nothing definate has been released.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
I saw some smoke around the Tuckahoe Turf Farm area today. I then saw one of the forest service Power Wagons heading out that way on the hammer! Anybody hear about another brush fire?