Forest Fire at Atsion

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you walk up onto the hill at Atsion in the field you can now visit the almost impossible Reference Mark for Atsion. This has been covered up with briers and mulch for years. There is another one so look for the one that says N0 1. The station with the triangle is at the very top of the hill and NO2 is along the very edge of the burned area.

IMG_0549.JPG

The fire. You can see it still smoldering this morning

IMG_0550.JPG

Reactions: Boyd

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
A few more photos of the fire to go along with Guy's photos.

This is where the fire started, on the north side of QBR at the tracks. There were two hot spots one on each side of the tracks.
IMG_7591.JPG

Quaker Bridge Rd, north side burnt, south side green
IMG_7594.JPG

Graveyard side of the church (east side)
IMG_7600.JPG

West side of church. Fire went west only to the Wesickaman Creek
IMG_7601.JPG

Reactions: dogg57 and Teegate

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
That's right Mike, it burnt all around the church. The road in picture 4 is actually the entrance to the church off QBR. The Indian Mills Fire Co. was stationed at the church to protect it.

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I think they did an outstanding job fighting this fire. Considering they had heavy wind and very dry conditions and still got it under control quickly. Now the only thing left to do is find the CLOWN that did this and beat the bozo out of him.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would bet the burned area where I was is a backfire. The briers were not burnt. I guess I should have expected that. :bang:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There may just be. As of yet I am uncertain of the area's that burned and will have to go out and find out. I was doing that Sunday but had limited time. However, I am uncertain where many of them were and pretty much have found all of the stones that I know of. But there are monuments I want to find that were placed on the corners when Wharton was originally purchased. The fire will indeed help me with that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did the area by the stone bridge on Quaker Bridge Road burn?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are places before the firing range that have monuments and a few stones so I need to get out there. I will try and get there this weekend.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
The fire did burn past the stone bridge on Quaker Bridge Rd. I drove down and everything was burnt right after the bridge to the next rd which connects to stokes rd and followed that back to Hampton Rd. I didn't think it went down that far at first.