Forest Fire at Atsion

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will go out there this weekend and let you all know what I find. Maybe early Sunday morning if I can.

Reactions: Don Catts

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yeah Al, that little creek next to the church is the Wesickaman, the same one you stepped through the ice last winter.
You know I didn't realize that was the same creek and that it crosses 206 and wraps around the Ranger Station.I was thinking the Wesickaman crossed the road bordering Atsion lake and ran in there.I see I am in error.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Anyone for toasted tent caterpillars. I hear they are considered a rare delicacy here in the pine barrens.
Don't know why they didn't burn.
IMG_7604.JPG
IMG_7605.JPG

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
The fire did burn past the stone bridge on Quaker Bridge Rd. I drove down and everything was burnt right after the bridge to the next rd which connects to stokes rd and followed that back to Hampton Rd. I didn't think it went down that far at first.

smoke_jumper,
I followed your tracks this morning as far as the intersection of East Stokes road. Found the same results of course. This must have been the second hot spot on the other side of the tracks they were talking about. I didn't realize it was so far down QBR. These pictures are at the intersection of East Stokes Road and that side road just past the stone bridge. That side road needs an official name.

Still Smoldering some today
IMG_7610.JPG

Found a Hires root beer bottle. Just my luck, it was empty.
IMG_7614.JPG

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The forest will bounce back and be green in no time at all. The pitch pines will be first and then the grasses. I say roughly five weeks from what I have noted with the hotter controlled burns. Any friendly bets just for bragging rights?

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
The forest will bounce back and be green in no time at all. The pitch pines will be first and then the grasses. I say roughly five weeks from what I have noted with the hotter controlled burns. Any friendly bets just for bragging rights?

Gibby,
You may not be leave it but I saw sprouts about one inch tall coming up through the burnt ground today. Don't know what they were. Please don't make me go back and get pictures!

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
smoke_jumper,
I followed your tracks this morning as far as the intersection of East Stokes road. Found the same results of course. This must have been the second hot spot on the other side of the tracks they were talking about. I didn't realize it was so far down QBR. These pictures are at the intersection of East Stokes Road and that side road just past the stone bridge. That side road needs an official name.

It is called Ice Box Road.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
You know what was amazing, it was smoldering at one end and plants popping up down the other end. Not just grass but ferns and shoots off of brier roots. And all this without rain.

I love seeing how fast they recover. The pines recover very fast from fire. I used to keep an eye on tracts that we would control burn in the winter and see how it looked through the summer. It was always greener then the other side that wasn't

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If you walk up onto the hill at Atsion in the field you can now visit the almost impossible Reference Mark for Atsion. This has been covered up with briers and mulch for years. There is another one so look for the one that says N0 1. The station with the triangle is at the very top of the hill and NO2 is along the very edge of the burned area.

I am trying to finish up my new pines topo map, and it includes NGS benchmarks as found here: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl

I am not clear on exactly where this fire was though. Are the reference points you mentioned shown here?

atsion.JPG

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking for more monuments and stones for the Fruitland venture today and also walked quite a bit in the burn area. So I will group them together.

I was passing the church today on Quaker Bridge Road right where the fire starts and looking out my window I saw this. I have no idea what it is for. Look for it when you go by.

IMG_0581a.jpg

IMG_0580a.jpg

We then spent and hour walking a straight line down one of the edges of a few Fruitland tracks and found this stone on one of the corners. It was not an easy walk.

IMG_0582a.jpg

The woods are not only smoldering they are still burning.

IMG_0604a.jpg

This has been there a while. Most people have never even saw one before. I remember using one if you can believe that.

IMG_0609a.jpg

This is quite interesting. Far back behind the church there is a canal of some sort through the woods. It ends right in the woods and I never did get to the beginning. I have to suspect that it goes all the way to the JCRR and maybe was used to drain water away from the tracks. I am uncertain of that because I did not walk it all. I will check it out the next time I am there. The photo does not really show it properly. It is not a fire break for sure.

IMG_0615a.jpg

Found this also not far from the yellow trail.

IMG_0616a.jpg

Jessica fell and got hurt. Her knee is banged up and a burnt branch cut into her hand and the black charcoal is under her skin and it won't go away. It is really odd.

Guy

Reactions: John and Don Catts