Forest fire SW of Atsion Lake

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great photos George. You too Boyd. George, I hope you and Scott come out of this okay with no damage to your properties. A little too close for comfort.

Thanks for the official info Firetech.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This thing got hot and big! My wife just asked me to....

All right George, thats quite enough. Things are hot enough around here already.

From Bamber Lake at 5 PM:

watermark.php

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Great photos George. You too Boyd. George, I hope you and Scott come out of this okay with no damage to your properties. A little too close for comfort.
Thanks for the official info Firetech.
Jeff

Jeff,
One never knows with wind and such but I feel safe enough to say, we'll be just fine. It's been East of us now awhile. My daughter went to bed very nervous. She is very aware of the fact that if you can actually see the flames reflecting on this big cloud near your house... it's close.
I assured her we're in good shape.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All right George, thats quite enough. Things are hot enough around here already.

Bob,
Your innuendo offends! You sir are a loutish, obscene, uncivilized, crude, uncouth, uncultered, unrefined, vulgar, scurrilous, graceless, insulting, coarse, crude, and ignorant sort.
BALLS!! you've one upped me. I am humbled by you old man.
I'll deliver though when the time comes.

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, Your innuendo offends! You sir are a loutish, obscene, uncivilized, crude, uncouth, uncultered, unrefined, vulgar, scurrilous, graceless, insulting, coarse, crude, and ignorant sort. BALLS!! you've one upped me. I am humbled by you old man. I'll deliver though when the time comes. g.

I swear to God George I have tears in my eyes from laughing!

:rofl:

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I just left there...

The fire has been jumping 206 but without much fuel, it is not going far.

It was 100 acres when I got there, almost 500 when I left. Last report I got was almost 700 acres. It will go to 100 beforeit is over.

We can see smoke as far as Absecon....

I will be back up there tomorrow and will report when I get a chance...

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I actually took a few dozen photos but it got a bit ridiculous. I really can't describe how just looking across the field the images I couldn't capture. The plume shifted and moved, brightened by the setting sun up top and changed below I assume in color to what material was burning. The wind twisted it and shaped it so many times it was staggering. The real deal though was watching the shifting shadows of those flames changing under the deck of that smoke mass. I tried to wrap my thoughts around a cloud that size and what manner of fire could reflect so clearly on it. Sobering.

g.

Scariest one and the closest to our homes in the 25 years I have lived here George.
The rolling clouds of smoke I saw across the field behind Ron's and again behind Petruzzis on my way home, really looked like the WWII pics of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
The power and phone outage was the icing on the cake.
Thank God the wind was blowing the way it was or I think we would have been toast here on my road.
I wonder how the Rusnaks faired?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Scariest one and the closest to our homes in the 25 years I have lived here George.Thank God the wind was blowing the way it was or I think we would have been toast here on my road.
I wonder how the Rusnaks faired?

Yeah, the old one way in and out of Wharton Run can be a little spooky with this in mind. When my wife was at a very nervous point I assured her we were even o.k. if we got blocked in because the road out the bogs is very traversable as well as fields behind me out to Chew. Believe it or not you have neighbors that have no idea that bog road exists and have been back there for many years. They must live in a box.
Rusnaks.... I am certain they were very concerned especially as that thing got down near Dutchtown. Way too close for comfort.

g.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
On the traffic report this morning they said 206 was closed from Stokes Rd all the way into Hammonton. Sounds pretty bad. Hope they get it under control soon.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
10/21/2008 2100 hrs
SITREP NUMBER: 3

Salders Ditch Wildfire

INCIDENT LOCATION: Rt 206 at Atsion State Park, Atlantic County

OPERATIONAL DATA

OPERATIONAL SUMMARY: The wildfire continues to spread with the strong winds that continue. The incident is now 1000 acres with 20% containment. Route 206 remains closed with the 4 homes along Rt. 206 still evacuated. Firing operations continue along Rt. 206, and dozers are building line east of Rt 206 around numerous spots. A Fire Police officer was slightly injured by an automobile while directing traffic. The officer refused treatment. Additionally, a vol. fire chief from Burl. Co was transported for an irregular heartbeat. At 8 PM an operational briefing was conducted with the participating agencies. An additional briefing will be held at midnight for the night crews.
Several media representatives were provided briefings at 7 PM.

RESOURCES AVAILABLE/COMMITTED – PERSONNEL AND EQUIPMENT:

PERSONNEL DEPLOYED: 75

EQUIPMENT DEPLOYED: 18 type 6 engines, 3 dozers, DOT, NJSP, NJ Park Police, Division of Fire Safety, Atlantic, Burlington & Camden Fire Coordinators & OEM

PERSONNEL AVAILABLE: 120

EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE: 15 engines

ADDITIONAL SUPPORT REQUIRED: None currently

OPERATIONAL FORECAST: Morning shift will start at 0700 hrs. Expected weather is for windy and dry conditions for the next several days. Rt 206 is anticipated to remain closed from Atsion Rd. to Chew Rd. throughout 10/22. Smoke will remain thick overnight into early AM when fire activity will increase with the heat of the day.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I was there yesterday. When we first heard about it, it was 150 acres. By 7:30 it was over 750 acres. This morning, it hit over 1000 acres. Right now it is at about 1700 acres. The area is huge. The good news is that, although it tried to jump over 206 numerous times, that area had burned last year and has no "fire-fuel". So far it is contained to the west side of 206. Not much of historical value there,but a lot of wildlife and woods...There are over 200 personnel out there as we speak....
I am heading out there now to see what is needed and where it is at. I was there forever last night and part of this morning, went to work but had constant updates all day. I am not sure what time I will be back, but I will keep you guys posted....

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Does anyone have details of locations of fire area via a map, etc.

Locations reported in the news are not too clear to me.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
My understanding is it is just east of parkdale, south/southwest of atsion lake, just west of 206. If I'm right it forms a triangle with 206, parkdale road, and chew road. This is just what I figured based on news reports.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
We need a good forest management plan.There is to much stuff in our forests that will fuel a massive forest fire as we are experiencing now.It's time the Pinelands people sit down and listen to the experts.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the location info.

I am not familiar with that area so it was difficult for me to identify the area.

I also did find a link to Atlantic news paper that has a map too.

Forest management plan is a great idea. I think the NJ leaders plan would be to just permit developers to do their thing, put up homes and increase tax revenue plus pave the entire area to prevent more fires.

I wonder who foots the bill for this fire?

Are these fire fighters paid? Probably mostly volunteer.