Forest fire SW of Atsion Lake

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

TEEJ

We need a good forest management plan.There is to much stuff in our forests that will fuel a massive forest fire as we are experiencing now.It's time the Pinelands people sit down and listen to the experts.

Forest fires are part of the Pine's natural cycle. Some species need forest fires to survive; Some pine cones will not germinate unless subjected to intense heat...indicating to them that the overhead canopy that would block their sunlight has been burned away; some creatures, like Jackson Warblers, need forest fires to nest, etc...

:D

By preventing forest fires in an ecosystem that has evolved with forest fires, we would be interfering with the natural order of things, typically, a bad idea.

The barrens NEED an intense fire once in a while to clear it out, and allow succession progression, etc.

Obviously, if you LIVE in the potential path of such a fire, you are in the way...and might want to either protect your property/relocate, etc.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have walked that area going to the three county monument, and it is full of fuel and intense to walk through. Remember me posting this photo of Jessica after we finally made it to the monument? She was exhausted and her facial expression shows how the woods are there.

Jessica.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The guys from the state are paid, but your correct, mostly volunteers.

The part time fighters are paid $5 an hour and it takes a while to get the check. I learned that yesterday from Jennifer. She now works where I work and they all are forest fire fighters there.

Guy

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Wow $5, and some volunteers too. They certainly should be rewarded for what they have to deal with. Smoke alone must make them sick.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Forest fires are part of the Pine's natural cycle. Some species need forest fires to survive; Some pine cones will not germinate unless subjected to intense heat...indicating to them that the overhead canopy that would block their sunlight has been burned away; some creatures, like Jackson Warblers, need forest fires to nest, etc...

By preventing forest fires in an ecosystem that has evolved with forest fires, we would be interfering with the natural order of things, typically, a bad idea.

The barrens NEED an intense fire once in a while to clear it out, and allow succession progression, etc.

Obviously, if you LIVE in the potential path of such a fire, you are in the way...and might want to either protect your property/relocate, etc.

Good, solid post TEEJ. Correct on all counts.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Winds shifted to SE overnight and the smoke is getting thick down here. Looks like low lying fog until you breathe it in.
No smoke at all for two days with the north wind.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I was in the area last night. Smoke on 206 was hrrible until you got to the area where the fire was parrallel. Then there was no smoke because of the way the wind was blowing. Sorry that it is hitting you so hard Rednek. Should be better by tonight....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Right on target. One needs only to look at the Yellowstone fires of 1988 to see what poor management can do. The NPS fire policy was to extinguish any and all fires regardless of the source. The amount of fuel that resulted was staggering. If anyone has spent any time in the Adirondacks's, they would see the potential for a similar tragedy there. If nature caused it, let it burn and do everything possible to protect life and property.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
The wind must've shifted last night. Because around 9:30pm I stepped outside and could smell the fire in Cinnaminson. My fire dept. ran until 2am on "smell of smoke" calls in town. Philly communications called over to ours and said they could see the smoke.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
TEEJ.I am not speaking about a fire that burns thousands of acres uncontrolably.Ialso know the State burns varous areas each Spring.We need people with experience in Forestry management.The cutting of trees,followed by control burning.Then warm weather grass's can be planted.In our great forests,none of this is done.We have experts out there willing and able to do this job.Why does the Pinelands Comm. and DEP not listen.Rednekf350 could give us his opinion as he is one knowledgeable guy.I respect what he has to offer.

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
Y-Buc-Bill if you want to see some good forestry managment check out the 2 areas next to Friendship Rd. on the Lee Brothers property. They were logged then planted. Now they are 2 very quality areas.