Forest fire SW of Atsion Lake

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From the reports I've been reading, the fire service folks don't expect it to be out for quite a while, due to, as they put it, the "charcoal briquette" effect. The rains forecasted for tomorrow should help them out.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
If anyone goes out exploring on foot in the burned area could you take note of any dead critters. I'm doing a bit of personal data collecting on how forest fire effects certain animals. My main interest is in any turtle, snakes, frogs that are seen dead. If you see something live and want to pm me I would appreciate it. Box turtles are the focus of my data though, and snakes. Please don't post the finds though, pm them to me due to the vulnerability in the pet trade of some species.....ie don't want localities revealed for unscrupulous collectors.
Thanks
Chris

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
First post here, though I'm a longtime lurker. I went through the fire area today and saw the damage is pretty bad. It burned from the railroad (including the railroad) all the way down to just before the blueberry field along 206. Even the swamp/former bogs at Sleeper and Clark branch on the west side of 206 burned, with several areas showing where it jumped the road blackening it. Driving down 206 today fires still burned along the side of the road providing a surreal experience, however some of the strongest scenery is the swamp- while some areas did manage to survive others were burnt pretty bad. While there are some areas that seemed to only partially burn, there are several spots where it's pretty open now besides the burnt trees. I imagine the tri-county marker is fully exposed now.

I'm near Egg Harbor City, but happened to be in Brigantine the day the fire broke out; here were some pictures from 30 miles away on the island: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22516573@N07/sets/72157608257634239/ At the onset it produced some pretty impressive Pyro-Cumulus clouds.

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
They planted oak and pine trees. If you look you can see that large oak and pine trees were left behind. One problem some people have with forestry projects is when an area is first logged. They get upset seeing a cleared area. Nature takes time to grow, even when the area is planted or left alone to come back itself. It is the stages of growth that provides the diversity for plants and animals.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
This is a picture from a good friend of mines house on Atsion the day fire began. When they first opened 206 the day before yesterday it was so smokey south of atsion lake i turned around because people were in my lane coming the other way it was awful.

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 277

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a nice photo. If the area is open I will be there tomorrow morning to do some exploring.

Guy