Ft. Dix Bomark Site information....

Medictrode

Mar 23, 2008
Hello all.I am looking for information on the Ft. Dix Bomark site located off 539 between Ft. Dix and lakehurt Air Naval station.I remember back in 2000 when I was working on Dix reading a flyer with historical information on this site.Apparantly there was a Nuclear device that leaked and contaminated the area way back when.I remember it becoming a hot topic again because the radiation levels were increasing,so the govenment dumped loads of concrete to cover the area up.I personally was "Turned around" one time while snooping about with a government vehicle I was driving.I was wondering if anyone has any further information.Its strange how there is tons of info on the NIKE missle sites,but none about this site on the internet.Thanks for the help,I love to learn this secret squirrel stuff about the Pine Barrens.......:science:

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
It is actually spelled BOMARC and it stands for Boeing Michigan Aeronautical Research Center. There is a lot of information about it on the web and in a box in my room (college paper).
The accident happened in 1960 after a helium tank caught on fire. The fire spread causing the missile to burn, including the warhead. The warhead had plutonium in it. The fire burned for approximately 30 minutes. The water that was used to extinguish the fire helped spread the radioactive material into the ground and into a storm drain. The area was highly radioactive so the USAF simply laid concrete over the area and painted the walls where the missile was stored.
Later on citizens of the area started to get concerned that the ground could be contaminated and after tests were performed, they were proven correct.
I believe the area has been cleaned up or they are still in the process of cleaning it up.
Hint: Do not snoop around there! It is government property and those warning signs are for real. You will most likely be arrested for trespassing. They do not want anyone on or near that site.

Medictrode

Mar 23, 2008
Thank you all for the Information,much appreciated.I knew someone knew something about it.Yeah,I would never trespass in my POV,Its just while I had offical access to a government vehicle I would occasionally "Get Lost" driving around Ft. Dix.I was turned around once,but never got too close.I have no intentions of visiting now,just very curious as to what happened.Thanks again,you guys are awsome....:dance:

“This is not a drill...”

Folks:

Here is a color image of a Bomarc test launch:

Bomarc_Launch.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
I have heard from a reputable source that Jerseyman actually has stacks in his home library. From what I understand, it is a sight to behold. Perhaps, it is the true meaning of bibliophile.

Cheers!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was just at Jerseyman's library. I ripped his book. No, I did not rip it off, I ripped it :bang::bang::bang::jeffd::cry:

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I was just at Jerseyman's library. I ripped his book. No, I did not rip it off, I ripped it :bang::bang::bang::jeffd::cry:

The fact that you were even able to commit such a heinous act of such ignorance and recklessness and are still here to write on it tells me that Jerseyman is getting soft in his elder years. I would think by now you'd be swimmin' wit da fishes in the river. You'd have been better of stealing it.
Ahh but his kindness prevails, or he felt it lent character to the book.

g.