G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
This find a grave site says he was buried in Estellville. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=157916768

i just got back from there and did not find the grave.There is some prickly pear but not wall to wall like Pleasant Mills:) This graveyard was much smaller and i went completely over it twice.Most stones were legible but maybe two dozen small partially buried stones were not. However your Michael died in 1829? The church here was not built till 1834.Then again a graveyard often took shape before a church was built. If your certain Pleasnat Mills is the spot despite what this find a grave site claims then that graveyard is worth another look since I was far from completeing a complete survey of that graveyard but the one in Estellville I went over pretty good.Here are some pics i took of that graveyard and church.

Wait so there was no Sophia Garoutte in that cemetery either? Or Sophia Smith? No Garoutte or Garoute or other combination of spelling on any of those headstones?

Michael Garoutte name is on the census for 1810 in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. The guy has got to buried in one of those towns. Either Little Egg Harbor, Washington Township, Batsto-Pleasant Mills Cemetery. It has to be 1 of those. I imagine if they didn't give him his own headstone then maybe they buried him with his wife Sophia Smith (Sophia Garoutte). If the headstone is worn down and illegible then a document from the gravesite is needed to prove where he is buried.

If you ever need me to go somewhere in California for you to get any records I will.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
Did everyone give up?

I'm really starting to get frustrated about this ancestor. I had to go through endless source information to figure out what happened. I got no help from the direct bloodline Garoutte's either. I had to find the original baptismal certificate on the french government site with some help from another genealogist because the book did not have a picture of it. It's really been frustrating. If I can't find out where the guy is buried soon I'm going to have to give up on this line.

It's not like I can just fly out there and look myself.

This is my lineage to the guy with proofs (I won't name my mom or her mom).

Michael Antoine Garoutte (Garoutte Bible names Bethia Garoutte marrying Archibald MacAfee)
Bethia Garoutte marries Archibald MacAfee (MacAfee Family Bibles names Elizabeth MacAfee marrying James Jennings, 1840 Census, 1850 Census, Headstones for both)
Elizabeth MacAfee marries James Jennings (Jennings Family Bible names Martin Van Buren Jennings, Marriage Certificate to Margaret Hood, Census data provides additional proof James Jennings is father in Tennessee and James Jennings claims his son Martin Van Buren in documentation)
George Washington Jennings marries Maria Karolina Rolufs aka Mary Clementine Rolufs (Marriage Certificate, Headstones, Death Certificates, Census Data shows Father is Martin Van Buren Jennings)
Georgia Jennings (Birth Certificate shows parents, Headstone, Death Certificate)
My Grandma (Birth Certificate shows parents, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Census Data)
My Mother (Birth Certificate shows parents)
Me (Birth Certificate shows parents)

The Garoutte book has my bloodline to Garoutte on page #60 anyway but it stops at Georgia Jennings because it was published in 1975 and my Grandma was still alive that year.

Ok so now that I proved I come from this man I would really like to finish getting the dang proofs. Headstone and others that are needed.

I have royalty on my other bloodlines too and I can prove it.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I didn't know that! Why on earth would they fight over something like that.
I know that often folks will have a dead end at a woman who is referred to as so and so's wife but no one knows her maiden name so if it's early enough some folks will assume she was an Indian but this is often not the case.On the other hand I have seen other people get right down nasty over Indian claims,some times their not even related and it should not concern them.Occasionally they will have proof and supply the missing end as a white woman but often they have no more basis for their non-indian claims then the other person has for their indian claim.I have no idea why they would get irate over an Indian claim unless possibly racism? They want to be Lilly white? I just want to know whats in the wood pile.Weather the oak is white,red or black long as I know the truth I"m cool with it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Wait so there was no Sophia Garoutte in that cemetery either? Or Sophia Smith? No Garoutte or Garoute or other combination of spelling on any of those headstones?

Michael Garoutte name is on the census for 1810 in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. The guy has got to buried in one of those towns. Either Little Egg Harbor, Washington Township, Batsto-Pleasant Mills Cemetery. It has to be 1 of those. I imagine if they didn't give him his own headstone then maybe they buried him with his wife Sophia Smith (Sophia Garoutte). If the headstone is worn down and illegible then a document from the gravesite is needed to prove where he is buried.

If you ever need me to go somewhere in California for you to get any records I will.
Hey! There were plenty of Smiths in that graveyard! I didn't know we were looking for Smiths.Give me her name and dates and if I have to go back I will.Is she buried in the same cemetery as He was ? There were Smiths out the wazoo!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

The furthest west any of my ancestors went is Kentucky.I do have cousins that were pioneers and went all the way to California on my Sparks Line at least. California is a big state,are you up north in Redneck Country or down south in the Blue Zone?
Honestly let me give Estellville another try. Give me his wifes info and maybe I can at least find her if she is buried with her. I did find I think a cousin of mine.I am descended from John Steelman and I found one there but about fifty years too young.I think it may be an Uncle or Cousin because I come from Steelmans daughter who married a Camp. I know Steelmantown where the Steelmans settled is only a few miles from Estellville so perhaps this Steelman or more then likely is kin of mine.

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
Hey! There were plenty of Smiths in that graveyard! I didn't know we were looking for Smiths.Give me her name and dates and if I have to go back I will.Is she buried in the same cemetery as He was ? There were Smiths out the wazoo!
Its all in the essay I wrote. You'll have to use it as a reference.

Sophia Smith's Father was James Smith and she married Michael Antoine Garoutte. The Smith bloodline is a complete dead end there is absolutely no information on them. I don't really think Smith was their last name to be honest but that's what it says in the book.

I'm going to digitize the Garoutte History Book into a PDF and put it up on the wikitree page. But it might be possible James Smith is in 1 of those graveyards too. He was a Quaker so I don't know for sure if they'd put him in a Methodist Cemetery.

Sophia Smith became Sophia Garoutte obviously. They have got to be in one of those graveyards!!!!! Why would he be listed in abstract of graves of rev. Patriots in pleasant mills cemetery if he is not there?

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
The furthest west any of my ancestors went is Kentucky.I do have cousins that were pioneers and went all the way to California on my Sparks Line at least. California is a big state,are you up north in Redneck Country or down south in the Blue Zone?
Honestly let me give Estellville another try. Give me his wifes info and maybe I can at least find her if she is buried with her. I did find I think a cousin of mine.I am descended from John Steelman and I found one there but about fifty years too young.I think it may be an Uncle or Cousin because I come from Steelmans daughter who married a Camp. I know Steelmantown where the Steelmans settled is only a few miles from Estellville so perhaps this Steelman or more then likely is kin of mine.
I'm in redneck country but it is Central Cali here.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I really don't understand why He would be from Pemberton and yet He lived in the Pleasant Mills area and is possibly buried there and yet He may have ended up in Estellville? All of these places are quite some distance from each other.Each is probably a good two maybe three day horse ride from the other. I will check out Estellville again.I can almost swear I seen a stone with Sophia Smith on it.I"ll have to recheck.Don't know why her name wouldn't be Garoutte though? Do you have prrof they were married? I mean most folks back then were ,not like nowadays but some of my folks way back then were also living on "Dealers Tags" and never married but they were hillbillies so far back in the hills they probably couldn't find a preacher.

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
All of this history is really awesome. It's just like assassins creed 3. And maybe if i can prove everything about him just maybe he will be in the next revolutionary war video game :p

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
I really don't understand why He would be from Pemberton and yet He lived in the Pleasant Mills area and is possibly buried there and yet He may have ended up in Estellville? All of these places are quite some distance from each other.Each is probably a good two maybe three day horse ride from the other. I will check out Estellville again.I can almost swear I seen a stone with Sophia Smith on it.I"ll have to recheck.Don't know why her name wouldn't be Garoutte though? Do you have prrof they were married? I mean most folks back then were ,not like nowadays but some of my folks way back then were also living on "Dealers Tags" and never married but they were hillbillies so far back in the hills they probably couldn't find a preacher.

I imagine she would be buried as Sophia Garoutte. She was 9 years younger so her birth year should be 1759. Maybe Quakers got buried with maiden name hell I don't know.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
G.C. I have been looking on Ancestry again,I know your not fond of it but thats all I have to work with at the moment.Every thing I find on Him says he died in Pemberton in 1829.If this is true batsto would be quite a ways to haul a dead body in a wagon back then.It would be at least a two day trip. I also found info stating that Pleasant Mills cemetery was thoroughly searched and the graves are all severely eroded stones and I found this to be true.They state that someone is going through church records to try to locate the exact location of his grave. I"d stay open to the possibility till they find something that He may not even be buried there.There seems to be conflicting info on this.Find a Grave says He's in Estellville,You and several other sources say Pleasant Mills but I"m finding many sources that state He died in Pemberton,of course on Ancestry many folks just copy mistakes from others but I"d stay open to it.If He is in Pleasnat Mills I fear records is how you will have to find him.Most of the old stones are entirely illegible..You'd think being a man of some renoun though that He would have a decent stone?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just found a record that states he lived in Pemberton in 1810.Not the kind I can download but I can screenshot it if you like?Actually I was mistaken.Says he lived in washington twp.Thats the Batsto area

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
Just found a record that states he lived in Pemberton in 1810.Not the kind I can download but I can screenshot it if you like?Actually I was mistaken.Says he lived in washington twp.Thats the Batsto area

Yeah the "reconstructed census" has him down as living in washington township in 1810

Have a look this page: http://www.wikitree.com/index.php?title=Special:BrowsePhotos&l=438669&p=6&o=&t=&w=0

That page has screenshots of the "reconstructed census" with references to the rolls in the New Jersey State Archives.

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
http://www.worldcat.org/title/frenc...el-garoutte-and-his-descendants/oclc/13796571
If this chronolgy is true He may be buried in Pemberton? I think your family is as crazy as mine.

It's not my fault its a logical mess bro! That's what I have beem trying to clear up. There is an overwhelming amount of mixed up and conflicting info on this guy. The direct line that carries the name is no help. I asked them for the original documents and they just brushed me off. I spent months finding everything I could. And I'm the one that proved his sister married General d'Espinassy by finding the record in the National Library of France then everyone was like "oh really let me get that!" So they either don't have the originals or something is going on!

I'm just an honest patriotic genealogist here!

I think I cleared just about everything up except for the burial and the tavern so far.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't even know where to get cemetery plot records.We found my wifes great grandmother at a huge cemetery in Upper darby,PA by going to the office and having them pull the map and records out but these cemeteries have no office.The one at Pleasnat Mills has a used church there so maybe if you could contact the church they might have records? The church in Estellville has been unused for a long time and is basically a historical landmark now with no one there.Don't where you'd get the records for that one? If you can get the records and send me a lot number or map I may be able to find it and get you a photo. I"ll even run up to Pemberton if you find out where it's at. Are you the only one looking for this guys stone? I have many kin that no one else seems to care about but their all within the last century or so.By the time you get back over 100 years or so you usually run into cousins that are out there looking for or already found what your looking for to help you. Does he have family buried around Him? That may be a help.If his stone is illegible I may be able to locate it by surrounding kin.His daughter would probably have different surnames.