manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know some states like NC have state census's that occurred slightly before 1790 like 1785,86 but I don't know if NJ ever put out an early census.I would probably have run across that if they did.I have kin in NC too,thats how I ran across that one.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
The furthest west any of my ancestors went is Kentucky.I do have cousins that were pioneers and went all the way to California on my Sparks Line at least. California is a big state,are you up north in Redneck Country or down south in the Blue Zone?
Honestly let me give Estellville another try. Give me his wifes info and maybe I can at least find her if she is buried with her. I did find I think a cousin of mine.I am descended from John Steelman and I found one there but about fifty years too young.I think it may be an Uncle or Cousin because I come from Steelmans daughter who married a Camp. I know Steelmantown where the Steelmans settled is only a few miles from Estellville so perhaps this Steelman or more then likely is kin of mine.
Manumuskin

My mothers grandmother on her fathers side was a Steelman. Clara Lewis Steelman born 1/1/1885

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My first steelman I run into was an Ellen Steelman from the late 1700's early 1800's. They appear to be swedish with the name coming from Stiile and Mannson. I forget what those two words meant .It's in my records. I believe they were originally whalers who landed in Plymouth and settled in Lynn Mass then moved to long island and then down to cape may to catch whales.I"m related to a bunch of cape may whalers on my dads side.

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
My cousin did the Genealogy back to Capt, Hans Mansson born 1620 in Hanaskede, Sweeden and died 1691 in Cinnaminson, Burlington County,
NJ. He married Ella Stille.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My first Steelman is Peter Hansson Steelman born 1-1673 died 1763 both in Gloucester county but back then Gloucester county also comprised Atlantic county which is where he actually lived.His father has a name change. Peter Jochimsson 1618 born Holstein Germany (which is an unknown since they were definitely Swedish Ancestry)died 1654 New Amsterdam NY. Peters Mom was Ella Olafsdotter Stille whose fater was Olaf Stille a quite noted character given to brawling and and standing up for what He believed even when jailed and whipped.later in life He became a law man and was well repected. Do you think my Peter Hansson could be you Hans Mansson? He is my first person by the name of Steelman and the first one born here. I can post more info on him and the others mentioned if you think we may be cousins?

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
His lists has children of Capt Mansson and Ella Stille as 1 James Steelman 2 Charles Steelman 3 John Hanson Steelman 4 Peter Steelman.
Also next to Hans Mansson's name is Mans Persson in parentheses. All these names are under Generation No 1.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
His lists has children of Capt Mansson and Ella Stille as 1 James Steelman 2 Charles Steelman 3 John Hanson Steelman 4 Peter Steelman.
Also next to Hans Mansson's name is Mans Persson in parentheses. All these names are under Generation No 1.
Dude,
We are cousins!

Peter Hansson Steelman is my 9th gr grandfathers is mother Ella Stille is my 10th gr grandmother.

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
That Steelman line is fascinating, and provides a glimpse into that elusive eighteenth century pre-furnace Pine Barrens. The legacy lives on! I have much interest in the Steelman plantation near Mays Landing.

I believe this to be a property conveyed by Thomas Budd to James Steelman (~1695) along the Great Egg Harbor River that is mentioned by John Clement in Surveyors’ Association of West New Jersey (1880: 414, Proceedings, Constitution, By-Laws, Lists of Members &c., of the Surveyors’ Association of West New Jersey), and like other early pioneers neglected to officially record their titles. The publication is available online through Google.

Wrangel visited the Steelman plantation (Wrangel 1969, Pastor Wrangel’s trip to the shore. Translated and edited by Carl Magnus Anderson from Wrangel’s day book. New Jersey History. 87: 5–31). The “Inventory of James Steelman” from 182H: Eggharbour January 4th 1734/5 lists some provocative possessions among his possessions, “one neigro man & three Indian squaws” and “68 Head of Cattle” along with “five fatt [pregnant] cattell.” I believe that the Lochs-of-the-Swamp savannah at the plantation was grazing land for the earliest Pinelands inhabitants (Demitroff 2007, Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey’s Periglacial Legacy).

S-M

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That Steelman line is fascinating, and provides a glimpse into that elusive eighteenth century pre-furnace Pine Barrens. The legacy lives on! I have much interest in the Steelman plantation near Mays Landing.

I believe this to be a property conveyed by Thomas Budd to James Steelman (~1695) along the Great Egg Harbor River that is mentioned by John Clement in Surveyors’ Association of West New Jersey (1880: 414, Proceedings, Constitution, By-Laws, Lists of Members &c., of the Surveyors’ Association of West New Jersey), and like other early pioneers neglected to officially record their titles. The publication is available online through Google.

Wrangel visited the Steelman plantation (Wrangel 1969, Pastor Wrangel’s trip to the shore. Translated and edited by Carl Magnus Anderson from Wrangel’s day book. New Jersey History. 87: 5–31). The “Inventory of James Steelman” from 182H: Eggharbour January 4th 1734/5 lists some provocative possessions among his possessions, “one neigro man & three Indian squaws” and “68 Head of Cattle” along with “five fatt [pregnant] cattell.” I believe that the Lochs-of-the-Swamp savannah at the plantation was grazing land for the earliest Pinelands inhabitants (Demitroff 2007, Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey’s Periglacial Legacy).

S-M
Yes I have documentation that shows my Steelman branch along with several others had slaves.As a matter of fact it appears my northern kin from my Dads side owned more slaves then did my southern kin on Moms side who mostly appeared to be poorer and headed straight for the mountains after disembarking at Jamestown. So much for the theory "It was all the souths fault". I think it was a status thing. If you had the money, you showed it by having a few slaves weather you really needed them or not. Today it's what kind of sneakers or what kind of phone you have.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Hi all,

It's been awhile and I wanted to look at some information that I have copies of from old Washington Twp. records. I came by way of this information by making copies of Budd Wilson's parents copying of the Township books. The books have long been gone, found chewed and moth eaten in an attic of a township home. It was a good thing that Budd's parents copied these books from the then Twp. Clerk in the 1950s (?) In 1803 Washington Twp becomes incorporated. Our records begin there. In those first 3 years there is and Icibud Smith 1803, Benjamin Smith 1804 and Thomas Smith 1803 living in the Township. There is a list in the 1803-1805 marks on cattle ears..... There is a mention of a Michael Garrett (mis-spelled?) April 26, 1804. "Crop of the right ear- and a hole in the left" Mark taken by Wm Sooy Dec. 6, 1844.

Furman (Batsto glass cutter) and Abigail Smith 2/27/1849 have a daughter, Clarissa. They live in Batsto.

Furman (Captain) and Abigail Smith 4/28/1855 have a son, Furman. They now live in Lower Bank.

James (Collard laborer) and Mary Smith 9/26/1855 have a daughter Mary. They live in Green Bank.

Sophia Smith has a father, James Smith.

So, I don't know if this is of any assistance to your search. As an FYI, the old Batsto church records were held in the Hammonton church office when the pastor there also serviced Batsto. There was a fire 1960s-1970s (?) that destroyed the records from the old Batsto Church. I know this from having to search for church records in the past. There was a young gentleman who worked on a Batsto genealogy project for some time in the early 1990s. Here is a clip from your family info Smith/Garoutte. You may have seen it already, but the website also lists who is buried in the Batsto cemetery. Interesting local things listed on the site. I don't know if it has been updated recently.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~batsto/Families/Garoutte/Garoutte.html

Enjoy the thrill of your search,
Terry