Get Together: Nov 29, 2008 - Deep Hollow, Mary Ann Forge, and Beck's Canal

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's one area that we'll pass that has a lot of broken glass on the ground and whatnot. Also there's some ruins that you could get hurt on if you're not careful. Just keep a eye on the kids and things will be fine.

There's one area that we'll pass that has a lot of broken glass on the ground and whatnot. Also there's some ruins that you could get hurt on if you're not careful. Just keep a eye on the kids and things will be fine.

Thanks Ben,
I keep a good eye on him anyway,he's been alot of places with me and He knows what i expect from him around ruin's and such.

Thanks again Chuck

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Just a reminder, we'll be meeting at the Brendan Byrne Ranger Station this Saturday at 9:30 am. The easiest way to get to the ranger station is to enter from Rt. 70. If you're coming from the West it's 9/10th of a mile from the 70/72 circle. Take the road into the park and just follow it down to the ranger station. Look for the yellow Jeep in the parking lot.

If you want to do your homework before the trip, pull out your copy of More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey and read chapter 33: "Lost in the Woods: One Railroad." We'll be visiting that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I'm starting to get concerned you guys will go to the wrong spot. The star in the above email is the site of the old station, where the fire tower is. I believe Ben means for you to meet here, which is into the woods a bit. You can get in from both 70 and 72, its just "not" the building you can actually see from 72.

It is the smaller building on the right. The larger one is a maintenence facility.

watermark.php

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, no it's the ranger station. You get to it from Rt. 70. There's a big sign out front that has the fire danger level on it. Turn onto that road (right turn if you're coming from the West, left turn if you're coming from the East) and then drive down a bit. The ranger station will be on your right.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have only been there once; however, you may want to clairify the exact location. I think the building you are refering to is the fire/maintenance building, and the ranger station is near there. Am I correct????

Here is a Live Map photo of the area. Is this right?

fire_ranger.jpg

In any event the GPS reading for the large building is:

And the smaller one is:

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I have been holding off replying to see what what going on here. I should be there on Saturday for the outing but may have to leave around noon or so.

Guy