Goshen in Camden or Burlington?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Cook Map of 1887 (1891 Edition) available for viewing on this site clearly depicts the bogs at Goshen. They are not near "Goshen Pond" or the campground but further upstream just below the Plastic Bridge.

It is shown further upstream exactly where Ben and I found the locks and dam. I think you must have been meaning to say above the plastic bridge and not below it.

I will have to return to that area soon and look around more than I did the last time. If you want to go with me Rich just email or PM me.

Guy

Neil in SJ

Scout
May 22, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
www.freewebs.com
1887 Railroad Map

While looking at the map collection I came across the RR map from 1887, and noticed a name I cannot recognize, on the south Waterford) side. I am reasonabley sure it does not say Goshen. I can read Atsion, Jackson and Parkdale, but the other name seems unfamiliar. Here is a screenshot, and the link to the map.

1887 Railroad map

Attachments

• 1887.jpg
    1887.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 315

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
While looking at the map collection I came across the RR map from 1887, and noticed a name I cannot recognize, on the south Waterford) side. I am reasonabley sure it does not say Goshen. I can read Atsion, Jackson and Parkdale, but the other name seems unfamiliar.

Raleigh ?? Thought I had seen this on a Rutgers map but took me a minute, it was from the CCHS website regarding Origins/Places, Names. Mostly from Boyer. As always I am sure Jerseyman will have the take on this but I read it as that it was part of a plan as a "rather large development" at the end of the 19th century. ( Raleigh Land Development Co.? ) Hope I got that right.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Raleigh ?? Thought I had seen this on a Rutgers map but took me a minute, it was from the CCHS website regarding Origins/Places, Names. Mostly from Boyer. As always I am sure Jerseyman will have the take on this but I read it as that it was part of a plan as a "rather large development" at the end of the 19th century. ( Raleigh Land Development Co.? ) Hope I got that right.

Largo,

You have good eyes. I found the original download site and for some reason the map is clearer. It does say Raleigh. Here is a clip and the download site with more maps.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/Railroads.html

Guy

Attachments

• rrmap.jpg
    rrmap.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 311

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe Largo was correct that it was another failed development. I have heard of it but was not really sure where it was. I looked over some survey maps I have that show the failed development locations of Fruitland on the other side of 206, but do not have the area of Raleigh. On Monday afternoon I will be getting the area of Raleigh but I doubt I will have anything to pass along since I do not remember seeing it before on the maps.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I always associate the term "developement" with the suburban subdivisions that have been popular since the 50's. I didn't relize the term extended so far back. Was it still used in the same context...residential housing?

jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I always associate the term "developement" with the suburban subdivisions that have been popular since the 50's. I didn't relize the term extended so far back. Was it still used in the same context...residential housing?

jeff

I have a recorded copy of the 1885 "Map Of The Town of Waterford" from the Camden County Courthouse and it was prepared for the Raleigh Land and Improvenment Company.
I keep a copy in work for surveying purposes and I don't have one in front of me now but I remeber that the office for Raleigh was in Philadelphia.
The map includes all of the Burnt Mill Road area, Waterford Works, Chuton (intersection of Chew and Sandy Causeway) and the Pestletown area where I live.
It is interesting because it shows stuctures and family names where land was already occupied.
I will have to take a look on Tuesday when I go back to work to check Goshen references.
Oops, I meant to quote Jeff's question about Raleigh.
Scott

Neil in SJ

Scout
May 22, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
www.freewebs.com
I have a recorded copy of the 1885 "Map Of The Town of Waterford" from the Camden County Courthouse and it was prepared for the Raleigh Land and Improvenment Company.
The map includes all of the Burnt Mill Road area, Waterford Works, Chuton (intersection of Chew and Sandy Causeway) and the Pestletown area where I live.
It is interesting because it shows stuctures and family names where land was already occupied.

Scott

Redneck:

You mention land already occupied...I have been to the area near the intersection you mentioned ( I believe it may show as Jeep Trail on some maps) and there are some interesting celler holes and remains of other structures. It appears to be a small cranberry operation. I know I am getting a little off topic, but what can you tell us about this?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I have heard of it but was not really sure where it was. I looked over some survey maps I have that show the failed development locations of Fruitland on the other side of 206, but do not have the area of Raleigh. On Monday afternoon I will be getting the area of Raleigh but I doubt I will have anything to pass along since I do not remember seeing it before on the maps. Guy

Guy, to go back, I am sure I saw this on a Rutgers map in the 1800's. I just can't remember which, sorry. RMICKLE had a post back in May with the link if you want to snoop. It was that coupled with the memory of reading the CCHS document I mentioned that got the wheels turning. It is a little easier I guess to envision a name when it rings a bell. It is in my notes as I have been kind of recording a lot of stuff on or near the Jersey Central from Elm up to Atsion village proper. Personal project.
I sometimes think Fruitland might have been on the same side of 206 as Goshen and part of Camden County if not on the bitter edge. I thought it could have been confused with Cranberry Park at one time. I have read at least one document putting it as a part of or closely associated with Parkdale.
Curious to see what Scott comes back with. Is it possible the Raleigh thing was an oppurtunity due to the eventual demise of Goshen? If that is the case it still puts Goshen on the Camden County/Waterford Twp side. Just throwing that out there regarding the thread topic.
Do I not remember there being a plan laid down by a group of persons for a Black community in that area? Was that maybe the Raleigh reference in the Goshen area or am I thinking of Atsion?

G.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Fruitland was a short-lived name for Atsion. Inside the ranger station they have the original "Fruitland" sign from the RR station that used to be there.

Thanks, I can't quite remember any references to that and you know what...
I've been in the station a few times, even last month and not noticed that.
Even though I suspected a different location, many maps I see depict Fruitland as it would seem a little farther up and most list Fruitland and Atsion on the same map as though they were seperate. Wierd.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have map that show Fruitland on the ranger station side of 206 along Quaker Bridge Road. Give me time and I will pass that along. I am swamped with things to do here. There isn't enough time in the day!

And today I found a map showing the Raleigh Land Improvement Company. I have exact coordinates of the tract mentioned, so when I get time I will convert them and we can get an idea where at least one tract was that they owned.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's interesting that the RR map shows a stop on the Tuckerton Railroad named "Middle Branch". The Middle Branch crosses the old bed at that point, but why name it on the map?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Largo and All,

I am rushing this for lack of time.

It appears the Raleigh Land Improvement company owned property all over. Here is a sale from 1885 in a swamp near Atsion Road.

main.php

I have outlined it in red.

main.php

It is directly across Atsion road from the large sod farm with the big house that the Buddhists lives in. You can see it at this link on Google. The arrow will be right on the spot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.77...706&spn=0.025926,0.056477&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Pretty interesting Guy. Great researching especially if you are that strapped for time. Thanks much for the effort!!

Now, correct me if I am wrong but does not your Wharton Document (I believe that's what I am seeing), and your Topo, and your Google Map all put the Raleigh project/property on the Burlco side?
And by the way that seems like a crappy lot.

While Neil's 1887 RR map and the map I once saw Raleigh on and... the references from Boyer's book all put the Raleigh project on the Camden County side. It seems to be right on the Rariton spur. Please correct me if I am seeing this wrong.

If I see both issues correctly, Raleigh now Joins Goshen in the origin of the thread as a mystery of which County. Time for you to get out there & find some physical evidence, Come on, get on it will ya.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am looking at my copy of the filed map of Waterford right now at work.
The Raleigh Land and Improvement Co. had their main office at 71 Leonard St. in NY,NY, with other offices listed in Waterford, Phila. and Atsion. James G. Fitzpatrick was president of the company.
At the bottom it says Walter Raleigh and it looks like his title was secretary.
The map's title is Town of Waterford and Farm Lands Adjoining and is dated April 8, 1885. The surveyors last name was Earl. The current Condo Ave off Chew Rd. was Earl avenue on the map.
The northern boundary of the map is Burnt Mill Road, called Berlin-Batsto Road on the map. Unfortunately it does not extend to Goshen.
This map covers all of Waterford Works and Waterford proper in Camden County.
Land to the north is labelled as other lands of Raleigh L&IC.
The plan advertises high ground and good water and yearly commutation tickets to Philadelphia at 6 cents each.
I really would like to get a better copy of the map since a lot of it is not legible.
The Register of Deeds reduces them for printing and getting full sized out of them is very difficult.
Scott

Neil in SJ

Scout
May 22, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
www.freewebs.com
Pretty interesting Guy. Great researching especially if you are that strapped for time. Thanks much for the effort!!

Time for you to get out there & find some physical evidence, Come on, get on it will ya.

g.

I have made one attempt so-far to find the magical land of Goshen. I spent the morning searching for the usual signs of civilization; cellar holes or foundations, brick fragments, pottery, glass, iron, glass bits, clam and oyster shells, but found almost none. Now that I have a better understanding of the probable location I plan on returning to the site. With the aid of modern technology I should be able to find the exact location. Due to family obligations, It may have to wait until the weekend of the 9th. I wil report back to you.

Neil

Folks:

Of the proposed developments at Atsion, Fruitland came first. In 1862, William C. Patterson acquired the northern half of the Atsion tract and four years later incorporated the Fruitland Improvement Company. He planned to develop a sugar plantation on the property and intended to plant French sugar beets. He even imported a steam-powered cable plow from John Fowler & Company of Liverpool, England, at a cost of $13,000. His fortune and his plans went up in the smoke of a major conflagration that struck his gigantic Philadelphia warehouse complex during August 1869 followed soon thereafter by the death of his wife and son. Patterson lost his east coast holdings and traveled west to start over.
During a May 1871 land auction, Philadelphia merchant and manufacturer Maurice Raleigh purchased the Fruitland tract. In the city, his mill wove fancy goods and webbing, so he constructed a cotton mill in Atsion which offered employment to about 70 hands. The railroad delivered raw cotton from the south and carried the finished goods as well. Raleigh expanded his Pineland empire when he acquired the adjoining Waterford Tract and its glassworks once owned by Joseph Porter & Sons. Raleigh continued window glass production for a time, but the glassworks failed financially and he closed the doors. He converted one of the buildings into a hosiery mill during the late 1870s. Maurice Raleigh died in January 1882. At the time of his demise, he owned 30,000 acres between Atsion and Waterford. Most of factories burned shortly after his death. His heirs incorporated the Raleigh Land & Improvement Company in New York State and attempted to sell lots and farms before selling the entire estate to Joseph Wharton.
As I recall, I believe there are actually three different sheets to the Raleigh Land & Improvement Company maps, not just one and the Camden County Historical Society, I think, possess all three plates.

Best regards,
Jerseyman