Guided Tour of Allaire State Park - Jul 30, 2005

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Our last guided tour get-together (Harrisville) was an absolute success, so we're having another one, this time at Allaire State Park on Saturday, July 30.

Ever wanted to see a real blast furnace stack? Or see what a bog iron village really looks like? (Sorry, Batsto, if only you still had your furnace stack...) I know this is a little out of the way for some, but trust me when I say that you will REALLY get a lot out of this trip. (And it's close proximity to 195 means that those of you who live on the wrong side of the state can get there fairly quickly.) Chances are that most, if not all, of the buildings will be open and you'll be able to see people wandering around in period dress.

For the railroad buffs, we'll stop at Pine Creek Railroad, located on-site to see their restored steam locomotives and cars, and perhaps take a ride along their mile or so of track. We can also stop at the nature center as well.

It's $5 per car to get in. We'll meet at 9AM in the main parking lot. Look for my Jeep. This will be an easy walk, so you won't need any crazy bushwacking equipment. :) They have refreshments on-site as well.

Map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Farmingdale&state=NJ&address=4265+Atlantic+Ave&zoom=7

Info: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/allaire.html

They also have hiking trails, which I have not been down, if anybody is up for a hike as well.

Allaire Village

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but not new to Allaire Village as having been a volunteer there up until last year. Its a wonderful experience and you'll get so much out of it for sure. Make sure you stop in the Visitors Center the people behind the counter can give you so much information and the inside exhibit is really great.

Most of the buildings should be open since its the summer. I played the role of Mrs. Dickinson in the village for several years, as well as volunteer doing research on the people who lived and worked in the village. Its one of my favorite past times at the present even though I am no longer with Allaire.

Have a great day.
dottie

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
Have fun tomorrow you guys. I was hoping on trying to make this trip but unfortunately I am not able to make it. Have a safe trip. Hope the rain holds off.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't make it. Family obligations in the afternoon.

Guy

wombat

Mar 22, 2005
East Norriton, PA
I'm hoping to make it but the wife and daughter are having a yard sale and I may end up having to help with that instead. I'll be there at 9:00 or not at all. Have a great time, either way.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a real nice time today with Ben, Bear, and Linn (hope I spelled his name right). I liked the exhibit of how a furnace works in the visitor center and it was really neat seeing the iron furnace.

I really got a kick out of the old steam engines in the transportation museum too. They must have been a real chore to maintain and operate.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Would like to thank Ben, Bob and Steve for the very enjoyable tour Saturday. Liked the railroad engine shop and the nature center best. The two women in the nature center were very nice and well informed. Also, the rooms with the history, diarama and excellent exhibits regarding the furnace were very well done. A park well worth visiting.
As I mentioned there, just wondering if anyone here remembers the head ranger at Atsion during the sixties: Clyde Birdsall (sic). He was great, very friendly and helpful and really knew all the history of the whole area.
Thanx again!
Lynn