haunted graveyards

yonaguni

Sep 3, 2007
Ive travled the state but still cant find the defintive Pine Barrens cemetery/graveyard

Does anyone know where one is...or any haunted stories that go along with them?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Old graveyards and cemetaries are best used for discovery of past and history, and for respect of persons interred, not for foolishness and haunted whimsical jaunts. That sort of thing only leads to destruction.
It is no better than theft or neglect of the same. If that is all one wants, then old cemetaries are best left alone.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ive travled the state but still cant find the defintive Pine Barrens cemetery/graveyard

Does anyone know where one is...or any haunted stories that go along with them?

There is no such thing as a haunted graveyard. When you die you are dead. It's final. Billions and billions of people have died on this earth, and nobody comes back. I find it amusing that it always is a more recent ghost that haunts these graveyards, and not an American Indian or a caveman that was surely placed in the ground in the vicinity of any present graveyard. I guess they are not “interesting enough” to tell stories about.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I find it amusing that it always is a more recent ghost that haunts these graveyards, and not an American Indian or a caveman that was surely placed in the ground in the vicinity of any present graveyard. I guess they are not “interesting enough” to tell stories about

Good point, Guy.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I picked up the Book "Atlantic County Ghost Stories" awhile ago and enjoyed it. Of course I was hooked when he described the road I live on: "It is quintessential South Jersey. Pines commingle with deciduous tress and rhododendron; numbered streets and avenues are dirt and sand lanes that go nowhere. It is a forest of unfilfilled dreams and shattered realities."

The same author seems to have a whole series of books on the region: http://exeterhousebooks.com/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?main=catalog.php&index=links

(For the record, I'm a skeptic when it comes to ghosts, but I still love all the stories)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
There is no such thing as a haunted graveyard. When you die you are dead. It's final. Billions and billions of people have died on this earth, and nobody comes back. I find it amusing that it always is a more recent ghost that haunts these graveyards, and not an American Indian or a caveman that was surely placed in the ground in the vicinity of any present graveyard. I guess they are not “interesting enough” to tell stories about.

Guy

Spirits of the dead are souls trapped in the earthly plane of existence, due to strong emotional ties to some place, or person, or to having died suddenly and violently and without time to prepare. It makes sense that the souls of those who died long ago would have moved on and been reborn.

Or it could be that we just die and that's it ;).

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All,
Fascinating stuff yes, makes for good palaver. defining spooks or haunts or other worldy things is all well and fine if that's your gig.
It's the wrongness of conducting of such silliness and exercising idiocy over ground that should at the least be a little respected right? Wonderful tales can be told and riches of time experienced with a genuine walkabout of any cemetary. The likes of the original poster me thinks is not of that creed. It's that nature of thinking that leads to bad things happening to property. Sorry for that 2 particular pence.

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
All,
Fascinating stuff yes, makes for good palaver. defining spooks or haunts or other worldy things is all well and fine if that's your gig.
It's the wrongness of conducting of such silliness and exercising idiocy over ground that should at the least be a little respected right? Wonderful tales can be told and riches of time experienced with a genuine walkabout of any cemetary. The likes of the original poster me thinks is not of that creed. It's that nature of thinking that leads to bad things happening to property. Sorry for that 2 particular pence.

g.

I'm not sure someone walking over a cemetary viewing the stones is that much less likely to cause damage than someone walking around one trying to feel a disturbance in the force. As long as people don't break things, paint things, walk on things that shouldn't be walked on, or leave things that shouldn't be left, I'm good with it.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
I’m with Largo on this one. I have some interest in history and genealogy, and have spent some time in various graveyards. And I always try to reserve a certain reverence for those places; these are monuments to the memory of real people, not amusement parks. The original intention of cemeteries was to create a space apart from the rest of the world, and the ground is considered by many to be consecrated and sacred.

I view it similar to the way I view behavior in a church, or any other sacred space. Even if a person is a non-believer, a respectful attitude should be reserved for such places. They aren’t consumable goods, put there for our entertainment, to be used as we wish.

I have visited the graves of many of my ancestors; I know many of their stories. The thought of people using their monuments as props for nonsensical stories that imagine these same decent people coming back as evil ghosts is a little depressing, and fairly disrespectful, I think.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.

Guy

Guy, you have never believed in ghosts and gobblins ! or have never gotten a feeling that in some parts of the pines or in dark swamps that you were being watched by past inhabitants or strange beings with two heads or other abnormalities :jd:

ever been in a graveyard at night and feared the a hand would reach up and grab you ! :rofl:

that takes some of the fun out of it ! :rofl:

I’m with Largo on this one. I have some interest in history and genealogy, and have spent some time in various graveyards. And I always try to reserve a certain reverence for those places; these are monuments to the memory of real people, not amusement parks. The original intention of cemeteries was to create a space apart from the rest of the world, and the ground is considered by many to be consecrated and sacred.

I view it similar to the way I view behavior in a church, or any other sacred space. Even if a person is a non-believer, a respectful attitude should be reserved for such places. They aren’t consumable goods, put there for our entertainment, to be used as we wish.

I have visited the graves of many of my ancestors; I know many of their stories. The thought of people using their monuments as props for nonsensical stories that imagine these same decent people coming back as evil ghosts is a little depressing, and fairly disrespectful, I think.

Enoch:

Sobering and thoughtful sentiments beautifully expressed! Frankly, I think Ben should create an FAQ entry for Pineland cemeteries and placed your post as the answer to the question. There are many cemeteries that do not receive the respect and reverence they deserve. I posit that entering a cemetery with anything less than a complete respect for the site is akin to walking into the house of a stranger uninvited.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

yonaguni

Sep 3, 2007
ghost

As you thought..not only a weirdnj subscriber but a major contributer

7 years and counting

Ive been in over 300 cemeteries and graveyards in every county in NJ

Ive never damaged or stolen anything..i only take pictures

Pictures of graves and inscriptions that most of your just let fade into nothingness

I am just about the only person preserving gravestones though photographs that i know

if you dont photograph gravestones your losing history....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As you thought..not only a weirdnj subscriber but a major contributer

7 years and counting

Ive been in over 300 cemeteries and graveyards in every county in NJ

Ive never damaged or stolen anything..i only take pictures

Pictures of graves and inscriptions that most of your just let fade into nothingness

I am just about the only person preserving gravestones though photographs that i know

if you dont photograph gravestones your losing history....

Nobody as far as I know accused you of damaging gaves. It is just that this site is not about ghosts. I enjoy as you do visiting graveyards; however, if I wanted to discuss ghosts I would not do it on this site. Just my opinion.

I actually am impressed that you have visited that many.

Guy