haunted graveyards

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
That dosent look like a quaker cemetery to me..usually quakers have very simple very small stones.....those are too big for quakers

There are some, but not the entire cemetery is Quakers. There are some more recent stones; I forget the exact years, but there were some late 1800's in there as well. Most of the Quaker stones are placed around the base of a tree.

There was a sign there with the cemetery's founding year, but it was taken down before my first visit.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
I ve been trying to find iron grave markers only found in the pine barrens..but no sucess

If you are referring to the bog iron markers made at some of the old pine barrens iron works; and if you are on a mission to visit every cemetery in the state of NJ; then you can shorten your search by visiting every cemetery in the town of Millville. I seem to recall there is a cemetery there that contains a number of such markers.

To my knowledge, though, there are no haunted cemeteries in Millville. So if you're looking for a haunted cemetery that also contains iron grave markers, you might need to look someplace else.

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
And if one listens very, very carefully they might hear the faint whisper..."extra cheese"? as the wind cries in mourning.

Jeff

Thanks a lot, Jeff. I was having a cup of tea reading these wonderful stories and you made me spit tea all over my desk. :D

You guys are so much fun! I'm really enjoying this forum.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
She was 19, pretty and very excited. She was just crowned Pizza queen of the 1977 Burlington County Pizza Festival. She paraded across the stage to cheers from the crowd as a middle aged man in a tux sang "there she is, the Pizza Queen". A large sheet with the words "Pizza Queen" spray painted across it hung, from the light fixture. Then, at the height of all her glory, she backed too close to the new dough mixer demo model that shared the stage with her. A loose flap of her gown got caught by the mixing claw and she was pulled into the oversized mixing bowl.

By the time they got to her every bone in her body had been crushed and torn from her flesh. All that remained intact was her head. It was a gastly and tragic sight. To everyones horror and amazment, the nearly decapitated head looked to the crowd and in a dying breath uttered "Pizza Queen.

Now, whenever someone unthinkingly spray paints "Pizza Queen" on a foundation or bridge or wall. The ghost of the long dead Pizza Queen appears as a shapeless white mist, much as her once ample body lie shapeless and mangled in a doughmixer.

And if one listens very, very carefully they might hear the faint whisper..."extra cheese"? as the wind cries in mourning.

Jeff

VERY, VERY FUNNY. I almost pissed myself.

Paul

Jersey

Mar 2, 2009
All,
Fascinating stuff yes, makes for good palaver. defining spooks or haunts or other worldy things is all well and fine if that's your gig.
It's the wrongness of conducting of such silliness and exercising idiocy over ground that should at the least be a little respected right? Wonderful tales can be told and riches of time experienced with a genuine walkabout of any cemetary. The likes of the original poster me thinks is not of that creed. It's that nature of thinking that leads to bad things happening to property. Sorry for that 2 particular pence.

g.

I wonder if you don't believe in spirits, then why do you think that they would care if people were walking on the ground above their dead bodies? Once you're dead I don't think you care about those sorts of things. Not to mention, the ghost research above seems to preserve old graveyards and have regular graveyard clean ups. Seems pretty respectful to me.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I wonder if you don't believe in spirits, then why do you think that they would care if people were walking on the ground above their dead bodies? Once you're dead I don't think you care about those sorts of things. Not to mention, the ghost research above seems to preserve old graveyards and have regular graveyard clean ups. Seems pretty respectful to me.

I have to agree with you. I don't mind ghost researchers in graveyards. There's a tremendous respect for the dead in the field.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown

Never said I don't believe in spirits. Never said I don't think cleanups are a good thing. I don't think a dead body much cares at all either.
My comments were about the folks that basically do dumb and disrepectful crap. Welcome to the forum.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I have to agree with you. I don't mind ghost researchers in graveyards. There's a tremendous respect for the dead in the field.

With all due respect to your opinion, I must say that the "field" of ghost hunting means about as much to the world of scientific research as does "Pro Wrestling" to the sports industry.

g.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I have spent a lot of time in these graveyards for historical purposes and I have never been bother by someone who is dead. On occasion, I have been bothered by the living. The dead can't hurt you.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have spent a lot of time in these graveyards for historical purposes and I have never been bother by someone who is dead. On occasion, I have been bothered by the living. The dead can't hurt you.

So true!

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The Dead can't hurt you.

I don't know about hurt, but I still have blank spots gone forever from my memory after a couple of their concerts I partook in.
Occasionally I get little fleeting images, but they're somewhat disturbing so I try to forget them all over again.

g.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben,

Do you think that ghost hunting can be a scientific endeavor?

I think that there can be scientific principles applied to ghost hunting. Whether or not you believe in ghosts is another thing.

Basically it's all about visiting an area believed to be haunted, making measurements with scientific instruments, and putting data out there for others to see. Then repeat your experiments. I'm not saying that every ghost hunter out there is a serious scientist, or that every ghost hunter out there uses good science in their search. But I am saying that yes, it can be done in a scientific manner.

It's no different than doing any other sort of experiment.

I've always been fascinated by the concept of ghosts. The phenomenon appears across widely disparate people and cultures. I can't rule out the possibility that there are ghosts out there.