Here comes the hot weather

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
hot.jpg

Glad I don't have to work in Philadelphia any more. But a few days of hot weather shouldn't be so bad out in the pines, especially with the knowledge that it will cool down over the weekend. :)

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Living outside of Philly, on the Jersey side, I can attest that it's pretty hot right now, probably in the mid-90's. Luckily, the central AC is still keeping up, allowing it to remain 69/70 inside here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In the shade, my front porch thermometer reads 98 right now, back porch is 97. I only use a window air conditioner in my bedroom now (and guest room when occupied). When I had central AC in Medford, the electric bills were out of sight, even though it often seemed warmer than I liked in the house. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
"They say it was so hot downtown this afternoon, grown men on the street corner were going up to cops, begging the cops to shoot them."

(Ricky Roma in Glengarry Glen Ross)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The little woman purchased custom canvas awnings for the house not to long ago, and combine with the heavier curtains (to go with the awnings of course), are helping cool this tinder box much more than I thought. It is a ninety nine outside but only seventy eight inside with the windows open. It isn't bad at all. This frosted mug filled with an amber bubble filled substance could be swaying my opinion at the moment. :)

Tomorrow is supposed to be much hotter. Only one more day of this heat shouldn't be too much to bear. It will make the weekend seem that much better.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We started our day hiking to the Mannis Duck Pond. Very nice, 1 box turtle, 2 lizzards, frogs a toad and a turkey. There are campers at Batona.
Then we spent the day on the Mullica, it was great, summer is here!

Reactions: Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You'll never hear me complain about the cold. I can always do something to warm up, but can't do much to get cool in this type of weather. I'd take the winter time temperatures all year long over these hot temps.

My thoughts exactly. I need to start convincing my better half that coastal Maine would e a great place to see the sun rise for the remaining years. Up around Cutler, where the ground turns blue with blueberries next month. :D

101062433.jpg

and red with Wintergreen the same time.

101062430.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Been working at Whitesbog this week getting ready for the blueberry festival. We got all the mowing out of the way the first half of the week. Looks like it will be a bit cooler(less hot) on Sat.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Don't know where Cutler is, but I spent a summer on Mt. Desert Island many years ago. I love it up there - I am finishing a map of the area in fact and will upload it on GPSFileDepot soon. I then spent a winter in Bangor, and that was rough. I really prefer the milder weather down here.

And this hot spell isn't bad since it's not going to last. Later in the summer it can get unpleasant when there's no relief in sight from 90 degree days.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Don't know where Cutler is, but I spent a summer on Mt. Desert Island many years ago. I love it up there - I am finishing a map of the area in fact and will upload it on GPSFileDepot soon. I then spent a winter in Bangor, and that was rough. I really prefer the milder weather down here.

And this hot spell isn't bad since it's not going to last. Later in the summer it can get unpleasant when there's no relief in sight from 90 degree days.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&p...ei=Y4fiT83pG-jz0gGouqSvAw&sqi=2&ved=0CIoBELYD

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Don't know where Cutler is, but I spent a summer on Mt. Desert Island many years ago. I love it up there - I am finishing a map of the area in fact and will upload it on GPSFileDepot soon.

It's pretty close to the border, Bold Coast country, just southwest of Lubec and Campobello. Not many tourons up that far. Some shots from our '08 trip up the Maine coast to Lubec at the link. We went again in '10, but just to Mt Desert. Had plans to go next month, but stuff got in the way. Look forward to your map.

http://www.pbase.com/46er/acadia_and_points_north

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Never been that far North. I'm sure it's beautiful, but not a place I would want to live year-round. I also remember the black flies being really aggressive in Maine during their season. But I gotta get back to Acadia one of these days for a short vacation, it is a really unique place.

I like your photo's, makes me want to visit even more. From my last trip, probably around 2000...

acadia.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Been working at Whitesbog this week getting ready for the blueberry festival. We got all the mowing out of the way the first half of the week. Looks like it will be a bit cooler(less hot) on Sat.

Might you have a schedule of the days events? Can't find any details on their web site, just general descriptions.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Might you have a schedule of the days events? Can't find any details on their web site, just general descriptions.
At the website go to" Things to do " and scroll and click on " Festivals and Events" then click on "Press Release" We were setting up tents today and a storm blew through but only one got damaged. I should be selling blueberries tomorrow or running around doing odds and ends.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have been watching the storm. I'm right on the Western edge and have only seen about 1/10 inch of light rain. But just a few miles to the East, they are getting soaked. It's been moving from Southwest to Northeast, following the coastline.

storm.jpg