High Crossing never disappoints

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Eek...Mom's gonna be mad about that one. The reality is that Land Cruisers are still built to be excellent off road vehicles with good gearing, available lockers, etc...and haven't been "neutered." The problem is that the Land Cruisers shipped to the US is that they are primarily luxury vehicles stuffed with all sorts of expensive electronics, power heated seats, and plush interiors that don't react well to getting swamped like that one. In places like Australia and Africa that same body style Cruiser can be had with a steel/rubber mat interior, 6 speed manual transmission, diesel engine, troop carrier rear seats, and rear ambulance doors-much better for trolling deep holes like that one. However, without a massive set of tires to keep you from getting hung up in the middle you're SOL anyway...

Reactions: manumuskin

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'm LOLing at that Range Rover. I bet someone got their Amex taken away! Thing is, it isn't really in that deep, and wouldn't be at all difficult to extract... if you had the balls to yank on it. Most people who don't get themselves into that situation think you can just pull on them, and it usually doesn't work. There isn't enough traction in that loose stuff. In that case, if I came upon that guy I'd tell him to call a tow. Those guys have insurance and there is no way I'm jerking a $60k truck around. I don't care what the owner says.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
P1030903s.JPG

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Subaru's are amazing.
Agreed, I bought their first AWD Legacy in 1989 and there was no going back. I get 250,00o miles out of them, and then sell the vehicle cheap to others to continue on. Two developed head gasket warps that required rebuilds over the years, so be warned. Otherwise they are trouble free. When paired with Nokia tires, Finnish made, nothing outperforms a Suburu on ice or snow. The tires are made of canola oil, so remain flexible and sticky even at cold temperatures. When worn, I guess you can put them on a salad, too.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Agreed, I bought their first AWD Legacy in 1989 and there was no going back. I get 250,00o miles out of them, and then sell the vehicle cheap to others to continue on. Two developed head gasket warps that required rebuilds over the years, so be warned. Otherwise they are trouble free. When paired with Nokia tires, Finnish made, nothing outperforms a Suburu on ice or snow. The tires are made of canola oil, so remain flexible and sticky even at cold temperatures. When worn, I guess you can put them on a salad, too.

In 1998 I bought a Legacy wagon. Thankfully, it never had head gasket issues. I had it until last year when it was totaled. I really, really miss that car.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Two this morning.
this one north of the tracks. He managed to get himself out.

DSCF0279s.JPG

The other was south of the tracks, pulled out of the water. There were two people on the back of a pickup looking at it. On our return trip it was being towed out to Carranza Road with water pouring out the tail pipe. Nice SUV too.