Hiking Greenwood Forest WMA?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was online that he was going to move to Florida but never really did. There was some discussion on this previously.

Guy

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
My son and I have relied less and less on pre-marked trails in favor of wandering around the woods with our iPhones with a rough idea of where we wanna go. Even if I can't get a signal, I can generally regain my phone signal by walking for 15 minutes.

The only problem with this method is that we are out in the pines for longer than we promise everyone, leading to a very exasperated spouse! :p

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes,me and my ex brownie buddy were talking about that.neither one of us think Brown is crazy,just a liar and that he's doin it for money.He is 63 years old now and probably looking to retire.he is trying to scare crap out of everyone so they will take his end of the world classes and when the world doesn't end he will wind up on Fatu Hiva with a martini in one hand and a bag of cheesies in the other.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Since we have already wandered so far off-topic, that reminds me... the best ghost story teller I knew as a kid in St Louis was David Lewis, who lived just down the street. He was my Dad's best friend and our families spent lots of time together. We'd "camp-out" in his back yard when I was little and his ghost stories were the highlight of the evening - we'd be too scared to go to sleep afterwards. David went on to become quite famous in later years. I suppose the ability to tell a good story is a quality that a CEO needs. :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Lewis

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not really, wish I could. This all happened between the ages af 5 to 10 perhaps... a long time ago. :) I vaguely remember something about murder aboard a ship and a ghost....

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Just a follow up, I've been practicing map and compass skills more often and in more depth since the folks on here inspired me to do so. I used the knowledge that Al shared with me, along with the resources that Al and a few others recommended (vids and books) and have been working on natural navigation, terrain navigation, map reading, map and compass, map orienting, taking map or field bearings, triangulation, working with back bearings and catch and waypoints, etc. Lots of fun and something that I wanted to do for a while! Thanks folks!

bdaltonph

Aug 25, 2013
Don't forget your hunter orange if your going to be wandering in Greenwood at this time of year. Especially next week. lol

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Spontaneous hiking. Still do that once in a while myself and it is great, but I am usually strapped for time so have to plan trips to be on time to get my kids from wherever they are. But even planning is awesome. I go on long hikes and always discover something new and different on each trip. Sometimes I vary the route just a little to find something new too. As some of you have seen in my posts. Also when you walk a trail one way, then turn and walk it back it is 2 completely different trails. Any serious hiker here will attest to that. But if you have time I would definitely recommend the advice of of the gentlemen above. Maps of the area work great. Modern technology works great. But only use if you have to. Enjoy and get happily lost. Have fun.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
When I was much younger and stationed in the Sierra Nevada Mts. I used to hike/camp overnight in 10,000 ft mountains. The only friends I had with me were Ruger M22, Remington .12 gauge, and Colt King Cobra .357. Still have that last friend. Once in a while I could talk one of my human friends into going. For some reason they would come once and never come again. Maybe because I would leisurely cover 40-50 miles over a 3 day stretch. But the night time thing isnt so bad. Unless you are trying to find your way back to your dinner table. Then yes night travel can get scary. Actually moving around in the dark and finding your way, is a lot different than a campfire and settling in for the night. Day time lost is cool though. Just start early and end early.

Reactions: Pan

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Modern technology works great. But only use if you have to.

Also try hiking without taking any pictures sometime. It's nice to just experience the Pines and store it in your memory. I often think there is too much emphasis on "sharing" your experiences here. For me, the memories are the most important thing in the end. And they exist only in my own mind. Sorry, they're private and you can't see them. :)

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Okay, I was kidding, I didn't really just get back from being lost.

I agree with what Glenn is saying too.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Well said Boyd,
I tend to share more than I should. I just have always loved pictures of beautiful scenery. And so many have been shared with me throughout my life. I have a tendency to feel that need to share too. There are alot of memories I havent shared too. I am at a point that I am pretty much at the serengeti every week, because it is beautiful and convenient for me to get to, with having so little time. Quick hike and alot of time on Preacher Hill. Both sides. North and South. Technology stays in my pocket the whole time. I have taken a book out of my back pack and started reading for a while though. For those of you who know what I am talking about, there are some nice "natural" chairs up there. Quite comfortable. Once in a while you look up from the book, out into the silence, at the amazing view. For people, like myself, who live a hectic life every day, it is the perfect place to find that inner peace we all seek. And Boyd, those memories take me there on numerous occasions throughout the course of my hectic week. In fact I am back there right now. No pictures needed. :cool:

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I agree about not taking so many pictures.I"m camera lazy myself.If it's not some kind of project like Panos or HDR I find myself bogged down by a camera.I"m more of an explorer then a photographer whereas my buddy Whip is a photographer.He makes me slow down and smell the hot pine needles and I keep him moving so he doesn't stagnate in place over a mushroom.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look at the roof of the truck cab, the remains of the numbers are still visible. If I recall it’s B-14 which would have been a Chatsworth based unit. My best guess was always it was a retired truck that was sold at auction and bought by a pulp woodcutter who abandoned it.

May be, but someone here years ago said it was a fire vehicle and men were killed. I am not saying that is true, but that is what was going around.