History of NJ Cranberry industry?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Abandoned Cranberry Packing house and bog at Double Trouble.
A friend of mine from NJ (on a photgraphy forum) posted this image which I recognized as the packing house at the cranberry bogs at Double Trouble (where Joe Palmer sent his crew for both ditchwork and herbicide spraying in the summer of ‘60). I didn’t know who the owners were then, but my friend says they were last owned by Ocean Spray.

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-564980-1.html

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
I have a question. Does anyone here have any personal knowledge of a cranberry bog...or bogs... abandoned in the early 1960s? I am more than a little curious about the degree and rate of overgrowth by adjoining woodlands or lower vegetation that might obscure their identification as once active and productive bogs. I have, over the past weeks, spent many hours pouring over the various maps to which you have kindly...and patiently...directed me but have yet to identify the “bog by the (Wading) river” or any bog elsewhere similarly topographically situated enough to correspond with the “bog of sharply perceived memory”...wherever that may be.

Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I imagine that the early ones without a lot of money backing 'em were not cut straight and may not have had all the ditches cut just so, and were quickly overgrown, and may be unrecognizable today. And even if cut straight, like this one below from 1930, can be almost recognizable in 2015 as shown in the second panel. Kudos if someone can identify where this is.
boggrown.JPG

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I imagine that the early ones without a lot of money backing 'em were not cut straight and may not have had all the ditches cut just so, and were quickly overgrown, and may be unrecognizable today. And even if cut straight, like this one below from 1930, can be almost recognizable in 2015 as shown in the second panel. Kudos if someone can identify where this is.
View attachment 13085

I will take that challenge. That is the Emma Cramer/ Garfield Broom bog.

IMG_3171a.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Glad that you like the historical maps Bob! They have actually been online for quite awhile.

BTW, Balcony Hill can be seen Southeast of that bog on the Cook and Vermeule topo's. The name does not appear on any of the other historical topo maps.
https://boydsmaps.com/#15/39.9242/-74.3940/cook

At least half of it is gone today. :)
https://boydsmaps.com/#16/39.9242/-74.3947/lidarHD

Here's a sixteen year old thread that mentions it and the Cook topo.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Reactions: bobpbx