Hurricane

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been out a few times in the yard picking up broken branches. The wind is quite strong as you say Boyd. There is no water or streams near me so that is not a problem.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think your wind will die down soon. Its just a nice breeze here now, and a beautiful sunny evening. Looking out from my porch, you'd never know anything happened here at all.

How about this? http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/28/hurricane-irene-evacuation-michael-bloomberg

Two men were rescued off Staten Island after they capsized while kayaking as the first tentacles of the storm began to lash the area. Bloomberg was angry, saying that rescue workers had risked their lives to save the men who were then given tickets.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Toms River down the block.

This is the swimming beach.

large.jpg

The local dock.

large.jpg

Road closure.

large.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now it is hitting Vermont. I will try and find out from my relative how they are doing. It appears southern Vermont is getting hit the worst so maybe they are okay. Rutland looks pretty bad.

Spent a lot of time in Rutland in my younger days skiing Pico and Killington. They know how to handle snow, but a lot of water all of a sudden, just like here, not much they can do. The high gradient to the rivers and streams really gets them rippin'.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The number of people without power in NJ keeps growing - now up to 923,000. 119,000 are in Atlantic County. I guess those of us who still have power should consider ourselves lucky.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am hearing from Jennifer that where we work has no power. I will go in the morning and if there is still no power I will be heading home.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Christie did another news conference a little while ago. He said "if you don't have to work tomorrow, please don't go in" because there are so many problems on the roads they want to keep traffic down.

So you can always tell the boss that you're just doing your part as a citizen by staying home. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Christie did another news conference a little while ago. He said "if you don't have to work tomorrow, please don't go in" because there are so many problems on the roads they want to keep traffic down.

So you can always tell the boss that you're just doing your part as a citizen by staying home. :D

That won't fly for sure. If the power is off then I have an out. We shall see.

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The power was out in my section of Winslow from 10:30 pm last night 'til around 4:00 pm this afternoon, which was odd because the rain wasn't that heavy, only coming in bands, and I think I get more wind from my ceiling fan when it's on high.
Today turned nice early, so we took a ride to relieve some cabin fever. Found a lot of pooling water in the Shamong/ Tabernacle area. Here a couple photos we took:

The entrance to the Atsion Recreation Area at #206
Atsion Rec.JPG

Carranza Rd. at the Batsto
Carranza.JPG

The Mullica was flowing over Jackson Rd at its bridge east of Atco Speedway, and Chew Rd had a lot of flooding east of Pestletown, especially at the Clark Branch.

It was a great day for a ride with a stiff breeze to clear the cobwebs, but it was hard on the brakes with all the water!

John-

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20110829_In_N_J__awaiting_a_possible_second_punch.html

The Rancocas Creek in central Burlington County flooded in many places. Parts of Lumberton were inundated as a tributary to the Rancocas left its banks. A stretch of Main Street was covered for the third time in seven years.

Lauren Tenner tried to walk through a flooded section of Creek Road to her father's house on Main Street to bring him food but was stopped by a police officer. The officer pointed out a mailbox up the street that was nearly covered by water.

Nearby, Roger Wells of Hainesport was driving away from his friend's house in Lumberton after wading through water up to his thighs. "It's time to get out," he said.

The yard of one house on Bridge Road was transformed into a swiftly moving river as flood waters formed a moat around the building.

At Main Street and Landing Road, Kep Bohlen watched as a lake formed in his yard and gushed through the basement of his tall red house. The home lost power.

"We've got another three hours until high tide so it's going to be a hell of a mess," he said in the early afternoon.
Altogether, 40 county roads - or parts of roads - were closed in Burlington County because of flooding and downed trees, said Ralph Shrom, the county spokesman.

A park at Mill Dam flooded in Mount Holly and a parking lot across the street from the courthouse in the township "is just a small ocean," Shrom said.

The Mount Holly Township Hall was nearly surrounded by flood waters and 100 houses nearby were evacuated. Also, parts of the Mount Holly Bypass flooded.

In Pemberton, the storm damaged the Bayberry Dam.

And in Burlington City, from 100 to 125 residents were evacuated from the Columbus Park section about 5:30 a.m. because of flooding, Shrom said. In Mount Laurel, 50 homes were evacuated just past midnight Sunday morning along Ramblewood Parkway due to flooding. Residents of homes along the Rancocas in Medford and Lumberton were also evacuated.