Hurricane

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is raining here but I have seen basic storms rain as hard as it is now.

Yes, this isn't any worse than some other big storms I've seen here too.... so far. Somewhere I read that this is going to be a lot like a severe thunderstorm, but it will keep going nonstop for 8 to 12 hours.

Lights flickering and dimming periodically here again...

If you look on the radar now (~9:00PM), the eye is in DelMarVa but the really heavy rain is in Atlantic County and Southeastern PA: http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=b5&size=2x&ID=ADW19

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Warren Grove, Chatsworth, Speedwell, and points along the shore there also have tornado warnings. The man on channel 6 even said if you live in Washington to take cover :D

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The warnings are now closer to my place. My daughter is staying up and keeping a watch on it and I am heading to bed because I suspect I will be up quite a bit in the night. Jessica is having problems sleeping because the rain is so loud upstairs.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It has stopped raining here - kind of spooky - wind is still blowing pretty well though. If you look on the radar, Atlantic County is now in sort of a clear "notch". The really severe rain is moving Northwest toward Philadelphia. It will be back here soon enough though.

BTW, they have had pretty good coverage of everything on NJ101.5 and they're also broadcasting at 97.3 in the South so I get them loud and clear. Good to know I can still find out what's going on if the internet goes down. People have been calling in from all over the state with reports. A guy just said a tornado passed through his area going up Rt 539.

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, the RadarScope app is really a great app that gives you the raw NEXRAD imagery without all the excessive processing and image smoothing that you see on popular websites and TV. Also highlights all the weather and tornado alerts and warns you (as long as you have an internet connection): http://www.basevelocity.com/RadarScope/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Steady rain and wind here, but I still have power. Water looks really deep out back - more so that I have ever seen, not a problem for my house (yet) though. When this dies down tomorrow, it is going to be quite a sight. I think we will have very major flooding around here.

I hope you are all making out ok. Stay safe, am gonna to try to get some sleep here. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a few small branches down but other than that there has been no problems here. It appears I never lost electricity.

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like for the most part the storm will be over soon for us. I suspect people will be out and about today and most stores and businesses had already planned on closing. They may be loosing out on business.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A non-event here. Some wind and heavy rain overnight, just leaves and branches down around the neighborhood. Not a drop of water in the sump pump and no poweroutages, no flooding I could see from my walkabout. I'll be taking a ride to check my son and see what the river looks like after breakfast. Hope everyone else faired as well, now let the sun shine!

http://youtu.be/U6tV11acSRk

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
This was nothing more then a heavy rain shower for me where I live. The wind wasn't bad either. This seems to be a significant storm if you live near flood prone areas, but if not this was a rain storm. I have two leaves and one branch that is about 10 inches long in my front yard, calling in the nat guard to help me pick them up.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just woke up, but everything seems to be alright here too. Light wind, rain seems to have stopped, sky is brightening, power and internet are still on. Looks like Irene is just outside NYC now. Hope everyone else is ok!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went out to breakfast with the wife and most places are closed. Walmart and McDonalds were closed when we passed by. The restaurant we went to was busy even with takeouts. I just picked up the few sticks in the yard and the sun was out for a while.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The township employees just picked up the branches I left at the curb. He told me he has been working for 17 hours chipping trees and branches and will be working every day this week.

Guy