Hurry up, hard frost!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The little buggers haven't been to bad, but I have been appreciating the cool temperatures. I only have a few dozen bites on my ankles and on my belt line, lower than the usual hundred I carry around on my body. There is one odd bite in my ear. I don't know how a chigger managed to climb that high. I may have been goofing off and had my head to the ground listening for the pale faces approaching. Who knows?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've only had about 5 bites this season, but I've only been out in the woods twice since they started coming out. I am pretty religious about checking my shoes and when I see them crawling on there I douse them with spray.

Realistically I should just purchase a pair of knee high boots and stop worrying so much. I really hope to eventually move back closer to the pines. It's not as bad for me to get to the woods as when I lived in Princeton, but it's still a hike from Asbury.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have over an hour drive from where I live and I sometimes visit the Barrens three times a week. The trip can be tough, but knowing how much I will enjoy being out motivates me to turn the ignition key every time!

I don't think you need boots that high. I have been using eight inch high boots with no problems. Most of the bites are from the chiggers clinging to my clothing and taking up residence in my car. My socks and boots, along with some of my clothing, are treated so I think that I am getting bitten during the week when I am casually dressed. I can see the bite marks, but I have been bitten so many times that they no longer itch or burn.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I wouldn't even want to count the number of bites this year - both chiggers and mosquitoes. But I probably spend more time outside than most people. One to two hours in the woods plus two or more hours on the front porch every day. Unfortunately it looks like we may have to wait awhile for frost of any sort... temperatures are headed back up through the week with nights around 60.

Remember 2011? :eek: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/mosquitoes.7568/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The key is to use Off and you never have to worry if you sprayed properly. Unless however you are like Gibby and roll around on the ground and get them in your ear. That is a hard place to spray.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I don't use Off/perm/or any chemicals. Chigs don't bother me, my family says its because even chiggers won't bite my sour skin. Honestly I think the chiggers are pretty blown out of proportion in the core barrens. You want bad chiggers go down to cape may and cumberland county.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't use Off/perm/or any chemicals. Chigs don't bother me, my family says its because even chiggers won't bite my sour skin. Honestly I think the chiggers are pretty blown out of proportion in the core barrens. You want bad chiggers go down to cape may and cumberland county.

Who in their right mind would want any chiggers, never mind 'bad' ones? :D

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The flies combo with high humidity will start to drive me nuts but on those days I'll just drive sand roads in the core barrens. I hate winter in the barrens though, its a whole different place once it gets cold out for me.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Deer flies are the spawn of the devil! Chiggers are out of sight, out of mind. You only know they have payed you visit by their bites. Deer flies on the other hand...They fly into your eyes, mouth, ears and nose during their kamikazes. They gnaw through clothing just to bite you. My personal favorite is when they sit on top of my head and chew holes into my scalp. I don't understand why they haven't gone extinct. What purpose do they serve besides spiking your blood pressure?

I still love the Barrens though!:D

Reactions: manumuskin

bdaltonph

Aug 25, 2013
Realistically I should just purchase a pair of knee high boots and stop worrying so much.

I wear them all the time in the woods and I'm in the pines all summer. Along with Pemerthin spray on them and my cloths I rarely get chigger bites. Its the pine flies I find annoying

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I thought I was the only one that thought we had worse chiggers then the core barrens:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The flies combo with high humidity will start to drive me nuts but on those days I'll just drive sand roads in the core barrens. I hate winter in the barrens though, its a whole different place once it gets cold out for me.
I love winter in the barrens.In the summer I try to hang close to swamps.Bushwacking in the heat through waterless terrain is hell.I've done it but their were times I thought I was really going to die in there.In the winter I can go wherever I want with no discomfort,especially if the swamps are frozen hard.main worry in winter is falling into a creek which doesn't bother me in the least in the summer:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Deer flies are the spawn of the devil! Chiggers are out of sight, out of mind. You only know they have payed you visit by their bites. Deer flies on the other hand...They fly into your eyes, mouth, ears and nose during their kamikazes. They gnaw through clothing just to bite you. My personal favorite is when they sit on top of my head and chew holes into my scalp. I don't understand why they haven't gone extinct. What purpose do they serve besides spiking your blood pressure?

I still love the Barrens though!:D
I once was swimming in a Blue Hole in Dividing Creek when i was about ten.I remember a Greenhead biting me in top of my head so I figured I'd just swim under water and he's let loose,He held on,I surfaced three times to breathe and he was still biting me.I finally got fed up and smashed him and then fed him to a Sunny. I have been driven mad by flies on several occasions and have taken off running for shade and thrashing a branch about my head wildly.Flies hate shade and if you can manage to be still (the thrashing just makes them worse) They will go away. Once chigged though you are chigged,I think I'd rather deal with flies:)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Not my problem. :)
bigsadmandtis.jpg

Attachments

• bigsadmandtis.jpg
    bigsadmandtis.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: Ben Ruset

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am in the woods almost every day between work and running the dogs after work where I live and I honestly don't think the chiggers were that bad this year.
When I am going into a suspect area I saturate the top of my socks and leather work boots and then spray my pant legs from the knees down.
I use anything with at least 25% deet.

These cool mornings are a big help. I had a job yesterday in Waterford where I knew we would be out of the woods before it warmed up. I didn't spray and had no problems.