cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to depnews
cleardot.gif

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 27, 2014

Lawrence Ragonese (609) 292-2994
Lawrence Hajna (609) 984-1795

CHRISTIE ADMINISTRATION LAUNCHES NEW "DON'T WASTE OUR OPEN SPACE" INITIATIVE TO COMBAT ILLEGAL DUMPING IN STATE PARKS AND NATURAL LANDS

AGGRESSIVE ENFORCEMENT, NEW WEBSITE AND STEWARDSHIP PART OF MULTI-PROGRAM CRACKDOWN

(14/P20) TRENTON - The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) today launched a year-long pilot program to crack down on illegal dumping in state parks and natural lands through a combined tough new enforcement effort and enhanced education initiative, DEP Commissioner Bob Martin announced.

The DEP's "Don't Waste Our Open Space" campaign was kicked off today at two press conferences and clean-up events simultaneously held at the D&R Canal State Park in Franklin Township, Somerset County, and at Brendan Byrne State Forest in Woodland Township, Burlington County.

"Too often, we see our most pristine properties and favorite getaways fall victim to illegal dumpers, who have no regard for the environment, wildlife or people who enjoy the outdoors," Commissioner Martin said during the event in Franklin Township. "The goal of this crackdown is to let violators know their actions will not be tolerated and that there will be consequences for what they do. At the same time, the success of this initiative also will be determined by raising public awareness on this issue and to encourage our residents to get involved in this effort."

The anti-dumping campaign is a coordinated effort of a host of DEP agencies, including Parks, Fish & Wildlife, Compliance & Enforcement, Solid Waste, Water Resources, State Park Police, State Conservation Police, State Forestry Services and the Natural Lands Trust. Also involved are State Police and the Attorney General's Office for an effort that also will seek the cooperation of municipalities, county park systems and local police throughout the state.

All activities of this new effort will be posted on www.stopdumping.nj.gov, a new website that serves as a hub for the entire program.

Nearly all of the state's more than 170 publicly owned tracts, including state parks, state forests, wildlife management areas, and natural lands and preserves, have been impacted by illegal dumping. These lands account for 813,000 acres of state-preserved open space.

"Debris that is left behind by illegal dumpers is not only unsightly, but it pollutes these properties we cherish," said State Park Director Mark Texel. "It is potentially harmful to public health, wildlife and ecosystems. It also wastes the previous clean-up efforts of volunteers and puts the costs of clean-ups on the taxpayer. We hope this program will result in a decrease of illegal dumping on state lands."

Illegal dumping, which includes everything from unlawful disposal of construction debris and old TVs and computers to the dumping of car parts and tires-- and even entire vehicles -- has been a growing problem in the state's vast natural holdings in all 21 counties in recent years.

The new "Don't Waste Our Open Space'' campaign will include:

* A focus on public education, using the new www.stopdumping.nj.gov website to provide visitors to New Jersey's parks and natural areas information on how to inform DEP of illegal dumping and what to do if you see illegal dumping as it happens. There also will be information on how to legally and properly dispose of various materials, opportunities for visitors to join the Don't Waste Our Open Space campaign, and receive information about clean-up opportunities around the state.

* Strategically deployed motion-sensor cameras set up in select state parks and wildlife management areas to help nab violators. In addition, information on arrests and charges filed in connection with illegal dumping will be posted on the new website.

* Aggressive pursuit of civil and criminal complaints against violators. Penalties for illegal dumping in state parks and in fish and wildlife areas will include criminal fines of up to $5,000 per violation and civil penalties of up to $1,500 per violation. In addition, the state also will seek much stiffer penalties for major violations through the Solid Waste Management Act, which authorizes the DEP and county health departments to initiate civil actions for illegal dumping violations.

* More warning and education signs about illegal dumping on state lands, while also exploring additional secondary deterrents such as installation of road barricades and additional lighting in areas prone to violations.

The progress of the "Don't Waste Our Open Space" pilot program will be evaluated after one year. If education and enforcement measures prove successful, the DEP is hopeful it will serve as a model for county systems in New Jersey or other states throughout the country.

"Raising awareness of this problem is just part of the solution," said DEP Deputy Commissioner Michele Siekerka. "We hope the mix of increased enforcement, combined with education and stewardship, will result in an improved environment in our natural areas and result in a better experience for those who enjoy our state lands."

For more information on State Parks and Forests, visit: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/

For more information on State Park Police, visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/njstateparkpolice/index.htm

For more information on Solid Waste Compliance and Enforcement, visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/sw.html

For more information on DEP Natural Lands Management, visit: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/natural/index.html

###

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This message has been sent by the New Jersey Department of
Environmental Protection. To unsubscribe from this list, please go

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is interesting...

* Strategically deployed motion-sensor cameras set up in select state parks and wildlife management areas to help nab violators.​
Folks will now have to be careful taking a dump. Might cost them big bucks ;)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This is interesting...

I have many spots in mind where that would be very effective.

Just last night I was running my dog in Parkdale where the roofing contractor had dumped the shingle loads previously discussed on here. As I was leaving I was looking at trees on the East side of 206 where a camera could be mounted that would easily ID a vehicle going in or out of Parkdale. You would still need something looking down into truck beds to look at contents.

Sounds a little invasive but we are already being watched in places that we would not expect.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to think I became quite good at concealing my game camera last year, but trying to hide one in an area where dumpers go is a major challenge. I was going to place mine at one spot but after spending quite a bit of time looking around I came to the conclusion there was no way that it would have lasted long. If it is near a road where dumpers dump, you can be sure the camera will be found.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I hope this works. I was out there today with Turtle, Pine Baron and others and in a couple hours after the press conference we filled a 30 yd dumpster at just one spot.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have to think I became quite good at concealing my game camera last year, but trying to hide one in an area where dumpers go is a major challenge. I was going to place mine at one spot but after spending quite a bit of time looking around I came to the conclusion there was no way that it would have lasted long. If it is near a road where dumpers dump, you can be sure the camera will be found.
Check out these camera hides Guy.
This is from a NJ Hunter thread where a guy used his camera to catch stills and video of an old man who was stealing his newspaper from his driveway every day. The old man was prosecuted.

Attachments

• DSC04803%20(2).jpg
    DSC04803%20(2).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 391

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Check out these camera hides Guy.
This is from a NJ Hunter thread where a guy used his camera to catch stills and video of an old man who was stealing his newspaper from his driveway every day. The old man was prosecuted.

I hope he did not buy those cameras just to catch a newspaper thief. There is over $500 worth of equipment there :)

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
There was nice showing from state and local representatives on Thursday at BBSF. At least one gets the feeling that there is an effort to try and curtail this sort of activity. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Philly.com Link

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't like this at that link.

To further discourage dumping, more warning and education signs about the problem will be posted by the DEP on state lands while the agency explores road barriers and additional lighting in areas frequented by offenders.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't like this at that link.

To further discourage dumping, more warning and education signs about the problem will be posted by the DEP on state lands while the agency explores road barriers and additional lighting in areas frequented by offenders.

You can always walk around them. Hopefully they will do what needs to be done to get control of the problem, but I don't have much hope. Littering/dumping is a trait of the majority; just take a look around during your travels anywhere. Public hangings might be a start though.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It is annoying to watch the evening news with poor photos of suspects. Why put cameras up if your going to use cheap optics?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The man who dumped the paint turned himself in and the white truck was not invoked with that. But he may have been involved with other trash so they are still after him.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On my way home this morning I took a few roads that lead me towards Woodmansie, and while traveling down what is Coopers Road I came upon a large pile of shingles that had been dumped along the side of the road. I immediately called DEP and reported it, and after hanging up and traveling a short distance I found two more large piles in view of the paved road at Woodmansie. So I called back and reported them also.

This is from my cell at the first find.

P200714_08.56.jpg

And the second find using my camera.

IMG_0097.jpg

One larger site is here and the first photo is just NW almost at Rogers Road.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.866418775075424&lng=-74.47181351455686&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

Full size if you want to see it. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/07202014/IMG_0097a.jpg
Guy