Interest Check: Lahaway this Weekend?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Sunday is actually a better day for me too.

Lets say Sunday, meeting around 10am across from the Antiques Store at the intersection of Stump Tavern Road and 528.

Anybody who has a better time/day suggestion please speak up.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'll be there. Are you going to crosscheck your maps with some of the feature names like Mink Island? It may be on GA property but you never know.

bob

Ok, first let me say Ben that you are the ultimate post whore! 123,494!!!! :D

Second, I have a delema. Sunday is Halloween and I am the only one who can be home to give candy out to all the little brats. I have not yet decided if I should be a Scrooge and blow off the little darlings for this trip or stay home and give out toothe decaying candy.

Maybe if I get home by 3-4:00 it would be ok.

Ben, can you give me coords for the meet spot so I can plan my route while I'm mulling this over.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
I have not yet decided if I should be a Scrooge and blow off the little darlings for this trip or stay home and give out toothe decaying candy.
Steve

Put a bucket of coal chunks on your porch. Leave a note telling them to take one (JUST ONE!) and save it till winter. With heating oil prices skyrocketing, they'll need it. :jd:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Steve,

40° 5.84'N, 74° 25.09'W

You can actually get the spot on Topozone. Do a search for Midwood, NJ and that's the place.

Also be a scrooge. The Pines are better.

Also, I have not been able to cross reference the names in the articles with any of the topo maps. I believe that Mink "island" is actually this rather large hill. Unfortunately that's right next to the campground and some private houses so I am not too sure I want to be exploring around there - at least by myself.

Everything on the other side of the road is GA property. I don't know how patrolled it is. I wouldn't mind checking out the bogs on the other side of the road, but I would suggest that we hide our vehicles somewhere and hike in.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

It looks like Jessica and I can make it Sunday also. Our Saturday plans are changed. I am in.

I regret going to the post office today. Oh well. You will get it Monday.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you all up to a small side adventure that is right near where we are going?

Located in Prospertown 400 feet from the intersection is Mile Marker 39.63 of the Lawrence Line. It is the western boundary of Great Adventure. The marker is there! It is a semi newer one, but a Lawrence Line marker all the same. By newer I mean it is cement. I have detailed instruction and even a survey map of the area you may be interested in. Also, I have a photo of the marker, a Cowards/Prospertown Late 1700's map, a 1814 Prospertown map, and a survey report from 1817 with a map showing "chain lengths". They used actual chains to measure distance back then.

I will email a copy tomorrow to all that are definitely going if anyone is interested. The maps are copies and not perfect, but you may find something of interest in them. I will pass along the GPS coordinates of the marker, but I believe them to be inaccurate. They were taken by an old "Scout" model. But I have calculated the actual coordinates, and found the location on the map where it is. Plus the survey map shows it's location exactly.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The three of you should have received my email with the info. It should only take a few minutes to do this, so it won't take up any time. If you don't want to search, we can forget about it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
The three of you should have received my email with the info. It should only take a few minutes to do this, so it won't take up any time. If you don't want to search, we can forget about it. Guy

Sure, and if we have time and its relatively close I'd like to see Paint Island Spring.