Isolation 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
For the record I wouldn;t touch the NY Times or CNN (Certainly Not News) with a ten foot pole but yes I like You Jersey Girl and Bob as well. I have learned that "We will believe what we will believe and damn the evidence" Probably holds true for me as well as anyone else.

Reactions: bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I never suggested that doctors are calling any old death a coronavirus death.

This is straight from the CDC...

In cases where a definite diagnosis of COVID–19 cannot be made, but it is suspected or likely (e.g., the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty), it is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate as “probable” or “presumed.”

No, I'm afraid we don't have much of an idea what it is like to go through a great depression. 2008 was nothing compared to what we're going to see. Unemployment is off the charts like nothing this country has ever seen.... and it is just beginning. But I'm completely in agreement about doing what we can to save lives. Isolating the most vulnerable can be done without destroying billions of livelihoods. If the world can learn from this and be prepared for the next pandemic, then hopefully not all is in vain...
I agree with you Hank,we ain't seen nothing yet.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And I would like to point out that there are many epidemiologists that do not share the views of Fauci and others...... Knut Wittkowski is one such scientist, and he is worth hearing out....

Wittkowski doesn't mention infants. I wonder how they fare with Covid-19.

Science denialism was not born in 2016, and is certainly not exclusive to the right.....but I do agree that there is an unhealthy mount of ill-founded skepticism directed towards the scientific community....

And I would like to point out that there are many epidemiologists that do not share the views of Fauci and others...... Knut Wittkowski is one such scientist, and he is worth hearing out....

and I hope you're right about the economy bouncing back stronger than ever along with some needed changes in legislation.

"Knutt Wittkowski" 0k. I read this; don't quite get why he references South Dakota and Sweden, they have virus cases.
Also he has a statistician's take on herd immunity, not the perspective of a medical practitioner.

The best non-biased explanation I've read about herd immunity is the April 11 article in the Boston Globe newspaper.

For the record I wouldn;t touch the NY Times or CNN (Certainly Not News) with a ten foot pole but yes I like You Jersey Girl and Bob as well. I have learned that "We will believe what we will believe and damn the evidence" Probably holds true for me as well as anyone else.

I read/listen to a lot of stuff I don't agree with in case it makes me think new thoughts. Like the stuff you post. ! (BTW, I already share your liking for Ron White)

Last edited:

HankG

Scout
Dec 14, 2019
where i am
"Knutt Wittkowski" 0k. I read this; don't quite get why he references South Dakota and Sweden, they have virus cases.
Also he has a statistician's take on herd immunity, not the perspective of a medical practitioner.

The best non-biased explanation I've read about herd immunity is the April 11 article in the Boston Globe newspaper.

I don't see where he references Sweden and S. Dakota in that article...did you read another article as well?

How do the perspectives of statisticians and medical practitioners differ with regard herd immunity?

Last edited:

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
@HankG

Apparently, the Maryland family that died in 2012 had a deadly combination of MRSA and the flu. Scary stuff.

"Sad news out of Maryland, and a reminder of how devastating MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, can be when it combines with flu infection. According to the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the Washington Post and ProMED, five members of a family have fallen ill and three have died from MRSA pneumonia that took hold in lungs inflamed by flu infection."

HankG

Scout
Dec 14, 2019
where i am
Medical practitioners are trying to keep members of the herd from being culled. Statistitians are theorizing about the disease, not fighting it.

Perhaps I' missing something...but are these perspectives mutually exclusive? Statisticians and epidemiologists are theorizing about the best way to handle the virus and medical practitioners are on the front lines treating patients.... I don't see how these roles are at odds....

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I did my Stop-and-Shop run this morning. Pretty shocking. The had very few meats, just a few bags of yellowish chicken. It looks as if there was a raid on even the processed cold cuts, which I avoid anyway. The shelves were a lot thinner too. Every time I went to grab my favorite salad dressing, or cookies, or cereal, or tomato sauce, or chips, or bread, or butter, they were out and I had to choose a different brand. I was surprised how many people like what I do. :) I couldn't even get any coffee filters. Luckily I have a screen one, but I hate using it. They are an extra step in cleaning it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I went to Shoprite on Monday, first time away from my place for two weeks. All stocked up now and plan to stay home for another two weeks. I was there when they opened and that was the morning of the big storms, so the store was pretty empty. Everybody was wearing masks - I wore my own home-made POS. ;)

There were certainly some shortages, but nothing as severe as what you describe. The most notable one was no head or leaf lettuces/greens,, but they had lots of the pre-bagged stuff. Some other missing vegetables, but nothing that prevented me from getting what I needed. Lots of fruits. Plenty of lunch meats and chicken. I gave up red meat a year ago, so I didn't even check that. I figured the shortages were made worse by the Easter weekend.

They had a huge amount of toilet paper, although not the usual variety of brands. However, that was literally the ONLY thing in the paper goods aisle - no towels, napkins or kleenex. All things considered, could have been a lot worse. Maybe try a different store that is farther away from developed areas?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This store is mostly seniors, and I trust them to be more cautious than the young. It was also senior time at the store, and I went there an hour into it. It was not crowded at all. Most aisles only had one or two people, and they were all well aware of their surroundings. I was looking over the green lettuce, and another shopper says, "we're supposed to keep our distance guys". But the one guy she was speaking of was just walking past her!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It was not crowded at all.

I have only been once, last week to the local shop-rite, curiosity trip. Some shelves were not fully stocked , others empty, same in the frozen section. Fresh meats, baked goods and fruit/veggies had good selections. They would not admit anyone without a mask and no crowds as they only allowed 50% of store capacity due to new rules; some stores are stricter. Checkout line was long except for the 20 items or less, I had 3 :) Will not go again, no reason as the PU service works for me should I need anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.