James Ungehajer

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

You may or may not have noticed that James Ungehajer suddenly stopped posting on September 4th. His posts indicated that he was still seriously interested in the site, and had plans to visit some locations the following day. Since he wrote me every day even if he did not post, 10 days without him logging on seems unusual.

He shared a partial interest in what I enjoy doing in the pines, so his unexplained departure and nonexistent emails concern me. I acquired a phone number and tried to call, but unfortunately the number had been disconnected. I have his home address and will shortly write it to try to end this mystery, but in the interim does anyone have any info that could make this thread come to an end? You can post here, or PM me directly.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hmmmm....There aren't any clues in his most recent posts. How about his PM's to you Guy? I hope all is well.

Steve

I have read them all over and they offer no help. But I met him twice and he gave me clues to where he lived. Basically he told me where. That allowed me to find his exact house, and that directed me to his phone number that no longer works. One other member here actually talked to his wife on the phone once, but the number is no longer in their phone.

So without the last name of the friend he travels with, or the friend off of 206, I will resort to snail mail and see what that uncovers.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Due to our conversation at the Pic, I knew his work place and work situation, but he would be tough to track down. It is a big company.
As you stated above, there was a conversation with the wife. It eluded to the fact that Jim was pretty enthusiastic about the site and some members. Perhaps the lack of phone explains the lack of internet access, aside from Comcast.
Stupid question , not to be mysterious. Anyone ever seen the friend?
I know he said they stopped in the bar where "Autumn Mist" works.
He was not with Jim when we met. He indicated he wanted to tag along with me on the cleanup so yes, I too would have thought he had continuous plans. Perhaps we can hope it's just a little personal thing or maybe he got a little site burnout and we'll be glad to see him back when he comes.
He emailed me at home once and it Auto Added so I will try it and PM you on it Guy.

g.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
He sent me a PM earlier this month mentioning he once worked near where I live. Then a couple of follow-ups. Very cordial. After seeing his photo of Cedar Bridge Tavern, I asked him the location of it this past Wednesday and have heard nothing. Hope he is OK.
Len in Bristol, PA

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
I've lost count of how many times that place has changed hands. Once, I even lost the entire bar 'til I realized they moved the road! Years ago, a lot of very interesting people hung out there.
Len

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It turns out that Jim lives relatively close to where the Opera Company has its scenic construction shop, and we discussed that. He didn't give me an exact address, but it sounds like you sleuthed that out already. The CEO of the company he worked for was a friend of mine, and served as our Executive Director at the Opera after he retired from that position. Unfortunately he passed away about a year ago, so I don't have any contacts there anymore.

I know he was involved with an astronomy club - maybe some of his posts would provide the name of that? If so they might have a contact number. He mentioned that he used dialup to connect to the internet FWIW. I hope everything's OK with him!

Jim is okay!

Folks:

Since I could almost spit into Jim's backyard from across the river here in Jersey, I thought I would elect myself to drive over the Betsy Ross Bridge and pay a visit to his abode. Jim was not at home, but I did have a nice chat with his wife. Jim does not have any connection to the internet from home currently, hence his absence from our midst. Lorraine informed me that Jim's back is becoming increasingly painful. In fact, he was at the hospital for an MRI when I arrived at his house. Beyond this brief summary of my short visit with his wife, I will not say more here. If anyone needs additional information, please contact me via PM or directly via email. Meanwhile, Jim should be back with us again soon.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Folks:

Since I could almost spit into Jim's backyard from across the river here in Jersey, I thought I would elect myself to drive over the Betsy Ross Bridge and pay a visit to his abode. Jim was not at home, but I did have a nice chat with his wife. Jim does not have any connection to the internet from home currently, hence his absence from our midst. Lorraine informed me that Jim's back is becoming increasingly painful. In fact, he was at the hospital for an MRI when I arrived at his house. Beyond this brief summary of my short visit with his wife, I will not say more here. If anyone needs additional information, please contact me via PM or directly via email. Meanwhile, Jim should be back with us again soon.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks Jerseyman. Very nice to hear.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Jerseyman,
It is frightening that you can research persons as well as history. I'm starting to think you've got CIA ties! In any event, it is good to hear solid info on Jim. He's a nice fellow. I sent him an email on the address I have, now I know why no response. Thank you again for your research.

g.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I was fearful with each post I read in this thread. I am so glad that everything is OK with Jim. He came to this site not to long ago and posted like gangbusters ever since. I enjoy reading his posts that detail his adventures. I'm always so fearful of the folks on this site that do a bunch of hiking/exploring outside a vehicle. With all the natural hazzards, not to mention the wackos nowadays, it's difficult to stay safe. Glad everything is OK.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I also noticed that Jim was not posting. Although I have never met Jim, (or any of you face to face to my knowledge, anyway), I look forward to reading all the posts and viewing the pictures. Jim's posts are among my favorites and I'm glad he is ok.

Greg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
C'mon Nascar... get out of the driver's seat every now and then and walk around! It's safe, fun and good excercise. Honestly I don't think you're any safer in your car...

I know I'm safer in the car/truck, but that's not my reasoning for choosing to explore via roads as opposed to trails. Sure, I'm missing out on some things that I'll never see in my vehicle, but it suits me just fine. For those of you that hike and explore on foot, great for you. Really. Just be careful out there. That's my only point.