James Ungehajer

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I do a lot of hiking / canoeing by myself and have always felt reasonably safe. I have had my car vandalized, though, while I'm gone. I'm more cautious now where I park my car, but I still prefer to walk rather than drive. I do find that the older I get, the fewer chances I take (example: I usually don't cross swamps or streams If I'm alone anymore). A little descretion is ok.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Can you go into some detail on this .. location for example?

Guy

I parked at Caranza. It was a weekday, so I was probably the only car there that day. I had been gone about 4 hours and was almost back to the Memorial when I heard a "pop". I think what I actually heard was my window breaking, and I interrupted the person or persons breaking into my car. A few minutes after I got back I heard a dirt bike start up back in the woods, I guess it was them. I hadn't even realized yet my car had been vandalized. It was a few minutes before I went over to my car to open it and I saw all the glass on the ground.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I parked at Caranza. It was a weekday, so I was probably the only car there that day. I had been gone about 4 hours and was almost back to the Memorial when I heard a "pop". I think what I actually heard was my window breaking, and I interrupted the person or persons breaking into my car. A few minutes after I got back I heard a dirt bike start up back in the woods, I guess it was them. I hadn't even realized yet my car had been vandalized. It was a few minutes before I went over to my car to open it and I saw all the glass on the ground.

Sorry to hear that.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been thinking that maybe it is not a good idea to continue this thread, especially since the person it is about can't respond. So tonight I am going to delete it since I started it. Many of the posts are just general comments that deleting them will have little effect on the site in general.

Guy

All,

I have been thinking that maybe it is not a good idea to continue this thread, especially since the person it is about can't respond. So tonight I am going to delete it since I started it. Many of the posts are just general comments that deleting them will have little effect on the site in general.

Guy

When Jim does get back on he will probably enjoy reading the thread. I think you should leave it.

Steve

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com

A friend of mine had his car broken into while he was at Brooksbrae. He heard his window get smashed and ran back to find someone jumping into a small pickup and taking off.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
As a rule I generally do not stray too... too far from a vehicle if I bring it, with the exception of my truck when canoeing. (that my friends is a vehicle many vandals might assume has already been had)
Not going really far limits a walkabout but yes, people suck so there you go. But all you really need to be is slightly out of sight for damage & theft so what's the diff right?

Oh, Guy,
I dig your thought but yes, I agree that Jim would be pleased to see of the group's concerns. No one here has trash talked him and nothing really looks like gossip, at least I think. He's a good and harmless dude.

g.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I guess I'm in the minority. I suggest saving off the thread and sending it to him directly for him to see and deleting it from the board. I don't think it's a good idea to leave it lingering on the board. If it were me, I would not want my business posted on a public board, however I would appreciate the concern and the support shown in the thread.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't have a strong opinion either way. But Nascar has a good compromise suggestion.

Regarding car vandalism... wow. I've never had a problem, although when I started hiking around the pines years ago I used to worry about it and tried to park in safer areas, like parking lots at Batsto, etc. But after reading these stories I'm going to probably start worrying again...

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I agree with nascar, while I would appreciate everyones concerns(very nice on everyones part) I don't think I wouldn't want all the details available in the future.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I heard from James today. He wants to thank all of you for your concern, especially Jerseyman for stopping in. He will be back online in about a month.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I saw one post from him on a recent thread and even though he did not
go any farther, I was pleased to see him active. Good to know he is well.
We discussed a walkabout at my end of the Fleming and I look forward to it.
Thanks Guy!!

G.

Oct 25, 2006
Guys And Ladies

Thank you for the concern, your posts are very encouraging, i can sometimes be very emotional, i cried when i read them.

When i read Scott's post about falling through the Magnolia Road Tavern floor, that brought tears of laughter, i physically rolled on the floor, then had to go relieve myself.

I am using my daughter's computer to chat with you all, it will still be some time before i am back on a regular basis, i will try to get on whenever my grandaughter does not need to use it for her 7th grade schoolwork.

If anyone is interested, i just put on compact disc pics from Sept.23rd., 29th, 30th, and Oct.1, included are Atsion, Washington, Woodmansie, Atsion rd. etc.There are about 30 pics in all.