Jeep Jamboree 2016 – WOW! IT IS FINALLY COMING!!!!!

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
For years local clubs acted as trail guides and babysitters. One of the oldest clubs, Iron in the Pines usually handles the masses. I'm sure they are aware of the MAPS brewhaha.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I traveled 40+ years ago in a 2-wheel drive vehicle have been ruined by similar activities and either thru the MAP or this type of behavior my own access to the piney roads is shrinking.

I agree...somewhat. There are places that are damaged that I can't get through when it's wet. But when it's dry I can enjoy these areas. Two weeks ago I took the family for a short ride. I was on both roads that were proposed to be open and closed. Not a single road that was proposed to be closed had a single puddle, while I had to cross several questionable puddles on roads that were supposed to be open. The MAP plan simply closed off areas regardless of condition. If you are unable to hike distances for any reason like health, family or even time then you will likely never see some of your favorite places ever again regardless of conditions. Any of the roads that were proposed to be open should be maintained regardless of failed plan, especially for safety reasons.

Last edited:

JennyD

Sep 17, 2015
Maple Shade, NJ
'Never There' is the club handling some of this years event.

Hi, I know I am not on here much and comment but several things everyone needs to know. Iron in the Pines is the ONLY club working with Jeep Jamboree to host the event. Last year (2015) there was NO Jamboree. This is like the 22nd NJ Jeep Jamboree, they have been here for years, this is nothing new. They have an assigned route that ROB A. gave them, and as part of OTNJ John S and I were invited to run part of the route with them so they could go over it since this year they are doubling back and have newer trail guides that wanted to make sure of their route.

Some Mike H.... reached out to them to warn them he will be following with a GoPro strapped to his chest to watch them. Unfortunately like you are not allowed to follow an enduro no one should be following them. This is sanctioned and permitted event. Rob also wanted extra park police out there to monitor it, but I have not heard what exactly is going on with that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hi, I know I am not on here much and comment but several things everyone needs to know. Iron in the Pines is the ONLY club working with Jeep Jamboree to host the event.

Check their 'Policies and Reminders for the Pine Barrens 2016'. No mention of 'Iron in the Pines', just the 'Never There Gun Club' as their dinner location. Perhaps the club you mention is involved in some other way; it sounds like a bike club.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Here is a video of them driving through the Batsto River, among other places, in 2013. This is off Glossy Spung Rd. Go to 2:53 for that clip. I recommend muting the speakers

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
If they consistently deviate from their approved route then why do they get approved every year? Or why aren't they watched more closely? Breaking the law pertains to everyone, even if they have "permits" and it's not like nobody knew they were out there. I'm sure most of those participants thought they weren't doing anything wrong. Maybe someone from the state should be at the drivers meeting and reiterate the rules and if they are not followed then they could be fined.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I thought there was an issue with them deviating from their route a few years ago and the reason why they have not been back in Wharton since was Rob not approving their permit.

The cynic in me wants to say that Rob probably approved the permit this year just to give the pro-MAP people some more ammunition to use to try to close the forest, notwithstanding that the Jamboree doesn't represent a typical level of intensity of off-roading* use of the forest.

* Driving on dirt roads not driving off them and into wetlands.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A park police officer should be assigned to ride along with the jamboree leader just to keep things above board. No reason not too, many reasons to do it, given the issues going on. It would be even better if the Jamboree leaders requested it, but in no way compensate the police for their time, not even coffee and donuts.

JennyD

Sep 17, 2015
Maple Shade, NJ
Check their 'Policies and Reminders for the Pine Barrens 2016'. No mention of 'Iron in the Pines', just the 'Never There Gun Club' as their dinner location. Perhaps the club you mention is involved in some other way; it sounds like a bike club.

I am not going to get into a debate I was only trying to correct a few misconceptions, and who is chaperoning the Official Jeep Jamboree. You are correct in that the Gun Club is where they have their dinners, nothing more.