john mcphees, the pine barrens

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, I came across that someplace online a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the book info.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
No, it's long out of print. You want the one with the brown cover, not the one with the white. The white cover one is just the John McPhee book minus the photographs.
View attachment 1566

I know who you're talking about. Bill W. (too lazy to look up the proper spelling.) He doesn't post, but he lives in Woodmansie as a caretaker for a gun club. It was in an article that was in one of the local newspapers a few years back.
There is a copy of this book with brown cover on Ebay $49.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOK-PINE-BARRENS-NEW-JERSEY-JOHN-MCPHEE-/300322448272

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks! It says new paperback, only $5.46. Can it still be in print? That must be a mistake. As I vaguely recall it had an update on the people in the book, including Mr Brown's friend, and someplace online - probably here - I came across some info on him - forgot his name, Wambsgans or something like that I think, and he was still living in the Pines, and maybe he was even posting. Was that here? Like I said the only time I ever saw that edition was in a book store, I think when it first came out.

I found the post but the link does not work. Pretty much useless now. I have the article.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/last-of-true-pineys.2357/

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Bill Wasiowich (note different spelling) is featured in a book that I have, "Pinelands Folklife" (Rutgers University Press, 1987, pages 141-142).

"Today, a few gatherers still harvest and process the moss, including Bill Wasiowich of Woodmansie.

Wasiowich takes wheelbarrow, bucket, and pitchfork into swamps over old crossways abandoned by cedar cutters. He "pulls" the moss, hauls it out of the swamp, and takes it back to his homestead, where he spreads it on the sandy ground. With rakes that he makes himself, Bill turns the moss until it is dry. Then he bales it in a moss press, usually a homemade contraption."

wasiowich.jpg

(Bill Wasiowich gathering sphagnum moss. Photograph by Joseph Czarnecki.)

Reactions: Pan

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
We’ve taken groups out to see Bill during tours conducted by the Ocean County Parks Department. He elaborated on the various activities he has made a living at over the years. He was very shy at first but after a while seemed to appreciate the interest people had in these local traditions and opened up a bit more. But we have always treaded lightly, regarding the frequency and length of these trips. Infringing too much on the privacy of such individuals is a sure way to ruin a good thing.

Bullwinkle

Dec 27, 2013
Looks like Fred Brown's last son died November 1 2013

BROWN, DOUG 83 - of Mullica Twp., passed away on Friday, November 1, 2013 at his residence in the arms of his loving daughters. He was born in Jenkins, Burlington County and lived all of his life in the area. He is predeceased by his beloved wife, Betty (2012), this year on November 8th would have been 60 years of marriage. He served his country honorably in Korea as a member of the U.S. Army. Upon his return, he worked for N.J. Dept of Transportation, Garden State Race Track, and Atlantic City Race Course. He loved being a mechanic working on cars and trucks. He is survived by his daughters, Betty Byrnes (Greg); and their son, Alan of Mullica Twp., and Lisa Maggi (Michael) and their son, Matthew of Galloway. A Viewing will be held Wednesday, November 6, 2013 from 9 to 10 am at St. Nicholas Church, 525 St. Louis Ave., Egg Harbor City (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish) where a Mass will be at 10:00 am. Interment will follow at Holy Cross Cemetery, Mays Landing. Arrangements have been entrusted to Wimberg Funeral Home, 400 Liverpool Ave., Egg Harbor City, NJ (609-965-0357). For condolences, please visit Wimberg Funeral Home. Memorials may be made in Doug's memory to United Way of South Jersey, 4 E. Jimmie Leeds Rd., Galloway, NJ 08205 (609-404-4483 ex. 10).
Published in The Press of Atlantic City on Nov. 5, 2013
Doug Brown.jpg

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Time passes. The Pine Barrens came out in 1968, and the events that took place in it must have occurred a few years earlier, half a century ago.

I just found a copy of McPhee's book on Ebay. I think it is the one we were talking about on here two and a half years ago, the one with photos, brown cover - except I'm not sure that it is the one that I remember. It says that the photos were taken in 1981. Maybe they are just general photos of the Barrens. I might remember seeing that one - and then again I might be all wrong, and that would be excellent. Anyway, I ordered it, just $15 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Pine-Ba...390?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item5af92f7836

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Just got it. The photos in the back aren't as great as I remembered them, the only ones of particular interest being on the last two pages showing Fred Brown and his house. Otherwise any number of PB photos on here are way better. I don't really need it, so if anyone wants it I'll send it you for the same $15.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
My favorite picture is the one of the house at Friendship. That alone, to me, is worth the price of the book.

Oh, I missed that. Is it the old Friendship post office? There's a big flag in front. You saw my photo of Friendship, right?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ben:
We were just down there.
To me, picture looks like it was taken with the photographer standing just east of the bridge on Carranza Rd with his back to the west. Road to the left out to Speedwell, and the one to the right down to Godfrey Bridge.
That packing house is now just a big hole with some remaining cellar walls and evidence of wheeled vehicles.
I remember seeing Friendship with little kids running around the houses, in the late 50's/early 60's.
Weren't there two more houses to the left outside the picture?

John E.

Oct 4, 2011
Northwest of Philly
Ben, I know you are correct about the location of Fred's place being private property. When we were all down there I asked Becca about it. If I recall she said that his place was located several hundred yards but almost a straight line across from the Haines & Haines office.