lost on apple pie hill

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
hey guy thanx for the quick response...maybe i just didnt see it....where is it supposed to be at??

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
capttom said:
hey guy thanx for the quick response...maybe i just didnt see it....where is it supposed to be at??

What wording was changed? I had not heard about that. The original sign which I have a photo of, was on the road leading to the top of the hill, just before the last sharp curve. That was 30 years ago. I do not know where the newer one was because I never saw it, but had heard it was there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
gagliarchives said:
Where is the Sanitorium located? Are there ruins? I have 4 wheeled on and off the trails and never noticed. Are the obscured at all? Like blink and you miss it? Thanks...

There were numerous buildings that were part of the sanitarium. The pump house is still there near the intersection just before the final climb up the hill, and the sandy area that you can see from the tower was also a building. Also, the circular cement foundation that the large sign is inside of was part of it. Below is a USGS report from 1935 talking about it. The sanitarium had closed down by then and the state had built a fire tower on the roof. The trees were only two feet tall on the hill. This describes partially the location of the geodetic marker that has been replaced and is still there today.

THE STATION IS LOCATED ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF APPLE PIE HILL,
28.6 FEET SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF A PINE CREST
SANITARIUM BUILDING WITH A FIRE TOWER ON TOP. THE MARK PROJECTS
10 INCHES AND IS STAMPED APPLE PIE HILL 1871 1932. THE MARK IS
A STANDARD DISK SET IN THE TOP OF SQUARE BLOCK OF CONCRETE AS
DESCRIBED IN NOTE 1A.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Wasn't the wording on the sign changed from "The Highest Spot in S. Jersey" to "One of the Highest Spots in S. Jersey"?

You are correct Ben and Renee.

Renee, I believe he was talking about the smaller sign that was there. Below is the photo my friend took in the 70's, and they replaced it with a newer one that someone else a while back posted a photo of. That sign had the highest point portion omitted just like the big sign that is there now.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/apple.jpg

Am I correct capttom?

Guy