Marlton Circle

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This will tell you you are old if you can remember the Sinclair gas station on 70 right where the Mexican Food Factory is located. If you remember that you are old like me :)

Remember the dinosaur on the Sinclair stations?

I loved Sinclair when I was a kid and used to collect the plastic Brontos.
The Super Jet gas station in Gibbsboro where I grew up was a Sinclair for awhile.
I still have some quarts of Dinolene motor oil that I kept from my father's garage.

I went to Montana a few years ago to fish and tour Yellwowstone and was happily surprised to see that Sinclair is still in business and still uses the same signs and logo.
I took a lot of pictures of their signs when I was out there.

Here is their history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Oil

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Mr Livingroom?

This will tell you you are old if you can remember the Sinclair gas station on 70 right where the Mexican Food Factory is located. If you remember that you are old like me :)
Guy
at cropwell and 70 there was cows, gas station (in front of A & P), produce stand and McDonalds, and around that, peach orchards everywhere.

mr heines that owned that McD. almost closed it because of low sales in 1970. hard to believe.

anybody remember the night Mr. Livingroom (in the old supermarket building) burnt down at the circle?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Mr. Livingroom....

I think that was an Acme prior to the furniture store.....yeah, I remember it burning. I also remember every old house in the area either burning or falling down.......and until they did we played in them. That was cool because it isn't that way anymore.

I loved the cows. I loved that they were still there for many years even though progress pushed through..... like a defiant statement! I used to cut through the back field every time I wandered off into the woods on cropwell. I'm sick that there are townhouses there now.

turtle

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Marlton

I also remember riding horses in that area, in and around Evesboro, in the Church Rd area near Cemetary Lane. I also remember the DeCou family having extensive apple orchards in and around the area, ( a long time ago.) The 1844 house, or what was the 1844 house, is an Italian restaurant that has very good food. I have been there on two occasions and have not been dissapointed. I understand that the building is to be torn down, but not scheduled yet because of objections. On Tuesday, while traveling from Medford to Tabernacle on Rt 70, I noticed that the utility poles on the North side were being moved back, which means that they are planning to widen Rt 70. Just when you think that the area has as much traffic as it can handle, they allow more cars, easier access, to our overcrowed shores. I am for progress but let's keep everything in order as the land can only absorb so much. Who knows, someday Sandy Ridge Rd may be paved and housing developments on both sides of the Rd.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
On Tuesday, while traveling from Medford to Tabernacle on Rt 70, I noticed that the utility poles on the North side were being moved back, which means that they are planning to widen Rt 70.

I wonder if that means they are about to start construction of the long delayed "mega-mall" on route 70?

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Rt 70

I am dreading that mall. I think that the folks in Medford are going to hold that off as long as possible. Mega mall, Mega Theaters, Mega problems and traffic.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think that was an Acme prior to the furniture store.....yeah, I remember it burning. I also remember every old house in the area either burning or falling down.......and until they did we played in them. That was cool because it isn't that way anymore.

I loved the cows. I loved that they were still there for many years even though progress pushed through..... like a defiant statement! I used to cut through the back field every time I wandered off into the woods on cropwell. I'm sick that there are townhouses there now.

turtle

It was an Acme.

The cows were from the farm of Howard Holtz.

I had been there every day keeping track and photographing the destruction of his farm, and after being told to not to enter the barn I was able get inside the house while people from the company that was demolishing it were there. They let me roam the house and I easly exited and entered the barn when eveyone else but them had left. The next evening John Flack informed me it was gone.

Inside his barn.

holtz.JPG

InsideBarn4.JPG

InsideBarn9.JPG

The barn just before destruction.

Barn5.JPG

The historic house after destruction.

MainHouseFoundation.JPG

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
progress in the pines....?

Who knows, someday Sandy Ridge Rd may be paved and housing developments on both sides of the Rd.
:argh:

DeepX....bite your tongue! I hope I'm not here to ever bear witness to that atrocity. I didn't know there was any room left on Route 70 for widening. Do they have to move the water tower this time......she asks sarcastically. Why the 1844 house demolition? Mega Mall? OUCH. Keep remembering how nice it was when horses roamed the woods and orchards.....someday no one will believe us.

Guy, the pics of the Holtz farm are greatly appreciated....

Turtle

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see that kerosene heater in that one photo Guy. Remember when they were all the rage in 1980-84 or so? I had one.

What were we, nuts?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see that kerosene heater in that one photo Guy. Remember when they were all the rage in 1980-84 or so? I had one.

What were we, nuts?

I wonder if he used it in the barn. That could have been interesting :)

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is there a site selected for the Mega-Mall?

This has been going on for many, many years. It has been planned for Route 70 at Eayrestown Road. From 2006:

Officials for Freedman Cohen last week announced that the following tenants are signed on at the developments, which are located on both sides of Route 70 near Eayrestown Road: Starbucks, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, Ross, Petco, Sleepy's, the Hair CUttery, Staples, Cingular Wireless and restaurants Applebee, Chick-fil-A, Cosi, Vincenzo's and the upscale steakhouse Herman's Prime.

See this thread: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=3101

Math Teacher

Apr 11, 2009
Marlton Circle Odds & Ends

I remember when the supermarket burned down as well. What I really remember is a store sort of across the street called "Dads n Lads" or was it "Dads and Lads". Well, it was one of them. I went there with my dad for dress cloths and they always told me there was a monster in the basement and it always scared the crap out of me! As far as the McDonalds goes, I distinctly remember in 1971 (I think that was the year), waiting in line at the sidewalk to meet Ronald McDonald who was being played by Willard Scott. I also remember going to Ginos and Burger Chef as well. We shopped at Two Guys like everyone else, too. I wish I had the foresight to take pictures. I remember a Gulf Gas Station there (circle) in the 80s (remnants on empty lot still exist) and across from that was a Sunoco. I am trying to remember the abandoned house on Cropwell. Can someone give more details? I do remember the golf driving range on Brick Road, the old house and farm back there where the Wawa now is and how on July 4, that is where we went to see fireworks. There was this old rickety platform there. Anyone else remembering this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I remember when the supermarket burned down as well. What I really remember is a store sort of across the street called "Dads n Lads" or was it "Dads and Lads". Well, it was one of them. I went there with my dad for dress cloths and they always told me there was a monster in the basement and it always scared the crap out of me! As far as the McDonalds goes, I distinctly remember in 1971 (I think that was the year), waiting in line at the sidewalk to meet Ronald McDonald who was being played by Willard Scott. I also remember going to Ginos and Burger Chef as well. We shopped at Two Guys like everyone else, too. I wish I had the foresight to take pictures. I remember a Gulf Gas Station there (circle) in the 80s (remnants on empty lot still exist) and across from that was a Sunoco. I am trying to remember the abandoned house on Cropwell. Can someone give more details? I do remember the golf driving range on Brick Road, the old house and farm back there where the Wawa now is and how on July 4, that is where we went to see fireworks. There was this old rickety platform there. Anyone else remembering this?

There was never a Sunoco on the circle. They were at 73 and Baker, on Route 70 close to Conestoga, and in town when Schusterman ran it.

Where on Cropwell are you referring to in regard to the abandoned house? I visited the abandoned golf range but never went to the fireworks there. In fact I never went to any of the fireworks in town. I spend my days playing ball or roaming the woods and was exhausted by early evening.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went through some of my moms photo’s and found these two. This is me in 1959 along with my brother who is in the back. Our yard is a mess since it was all Marl and it was hard to get grass to grow. The building in the background was McCollums which today I believe is the Marlton Transmission on N. Maple alongside Allison Apartments. Nieuw Amsterdam Apartments had not been built yet so they are obviously not in the photo. That hill on the right in the photo separated our house from the former migrant workers home that still is there. There was a cow or horse fence there when my parents moved in that they had to remove.

guy2.jpg

My moms development was the first modern development in Marlton, and most of the town was still farms. Georgetown and Heritage Village were being built by this time. Her development was not completed and many of the lots were still available, so the builder who built Ski Mountain purchased them and finished the lots with larger homes. This photo from 1962 shows my moms yard after the placing of new sod, and the grading of the field next to our house for the new homes. You can see one in the distance. Those woods in the distance was one of the locations were Marl was mined in Marlton. There is no trace of that operation there. That is me looking pretty dapper in the photo.

guy1.jpg

Guy