Marlton Circle

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Guy, The second picture must have been taken right before you ran out to the dirt hills behind you. A friend of mine lives in Marlton Hills not far from where your first picture was taken. He lives on Counts Ct. in the second house from the woods.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That house in the photo should be his then. Or it may be one after. That is a much newer house if it is.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Great photos Guy - and lots of good stories from all! I'm sure I passed through the circle a couple times when I lived in Bayville back in 1972, but honestly I don't remember it. My memory only goes back to 1993 when I moved to Medford.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
odds and ends reply to Math T.

Math Teacher ~ I am trying to remember the abandoned house on Cropwell. Can someone give more details?

If one were traveling east on Revere Rd ......at the end of Revere where it meets Cropwell, make a left. On your left on a slight rise was the Haines house (big tree from out front was there last time I drove past) and across Cropwell at that point near a slight bend was the abandoned house. There were huge pines out front of it and it was situated on a slight angle from the road. My first job was at Gino's :science:
Fireworks on Brick, then moved to Savage Farm. Remember ice cream for 5 cents and the Halloween haunted house when it became abandoned?

turtle

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
memories

If one were traveling east on Revere Rd ......at the end of Revere where it meets Cropwell, make a left. On your left on a slight rise was the Haines house (big tree from out front was there last time I drove past) and across Cropwell at that point near a slight bend was the abandoned house. There were huge pines out front of it and it was situated on a slight angle from the road. My first job was at Gino's :science:
Fireworks on Brick, then moved to Savage Farm. Remember ice cream for 5 cents and the Halloween haunted house when it became abandoned?

turtle
does that bring back memories.

we moved to Woodstream the summer of 66 from Philly. first day of school, sixth grade, i had to take a bus to Evans school. my Mom sent me out in dress pants, dress shirt and bow tie (public schools in Mayfair had that dress code). well they said i was at the wrong bus stop and i wound up at Saint Joan of Arc. by lunch i was at Evans in Ms. DeMassi's class. the kids didn't let me live it down for 3 yrs.:)

my first job was paper boy then McD's. but i liked the Burger Chef on 73 where Canal's is now. when i drive to my son's in Cheiselhurst from the Turnpike i get lost. NOTHING looks the same :) my Dad shot groundhogs for Mr.Traino. i don't even know where those fields are now.

All in all. i have good memories of that time. all the developing in the world can't take that from me. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Karl,

You must have known my brother. He is the same age as you.

Also, they spelled your name wrong. Many of the brothers and sisters of these people were in my class.

grade6.jpg

You have a sister named Donna?

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
This has been going on for many, many years. It has been planned for Route 70 at Eayrestown Road.

This must be Easttown and Eayrestown developments proposed by Samost builders with 600,000 sf. of commercial space and hundreds of homes and apartments on both sides of Rt.70. The last I heard is they were having a hard time getting approvals. There are some very old farms in this area and I hope they get preserved.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
That house in the photo should be his then. Or it may be one after. That is a much newer house if it is.

Guy

That might be my friends house. I took a look on livemaps and it's hard to tell because he added an addition to the back. He has only lived there about 20 years or so but he said there was a very old woman living across the street whomay have moved out. There is also an older man on Baker with a lawn jockey in his front yard.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That might be my friends house. I took a look on livemaps and it's hard to tell because he added an addition to the back. He has only lived there about 20 years or so but he said there was a very old woman living across the street whomay have moved out. There is also an older man on Baker with a lawn jockey in his front yard.

Here is his house. The older woman across the street was my friends mom. He and I explored the pines for years together and he took many of the photo's I post.

My car and his house in 1978.

1978.jpg

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Karl,

You must have known my brother. He is the same age as you.

Also, they spelled your name wrong. Many of the brothers and sisters of these people were in my class.

grade6.jpg

You have a sister named Donna?

Guy
yes, she lives in Petaluma, Cal now.:)
and Ms DeMasi became the principle at Vans Vant school where my son went. that list of names brings back memories.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
<snip>
My moms development was the first modern development in Marlton, and most of the town was still farms. Georgetown and Heritage Village were being built by this time. Her development was not completed and many of the lots were still available, so the builder who built Ski Mountain purchased them and finished the lots with larger homes.
<snip>

Great story and photos guy... Heritage village strikes a chord with me as my grandmother and grandfather moved there in the late 1950s with their kids into one of the first houses built. My mom still has memories of living there, going to school, all the farms, etc. She even recalls going on a field trip (though not with nuns), to the apple orchard to see cider being made in Kindergarten- much like somebody mentioned before. She also recalls having kindergarten classes in a church on Main St. (not sure which), and walking along the railroad tracks.

One thing she wanted me to ask the board is that if anybody remembers an Italian takeout place somewhere west of the circle on 70 on the left side (westbound). She recalls it was run by an old Italian woman in a little house, from which they would serve food. From what she remembers they had the best spaghetti and would appreciate of anybody could tell her what the name of the woman was, the name of the "store", and what the story was there. She isn't sure, but believes it was torn down and replaced with an A&P, or there was an A&P nearby.

And finally, I'm not sure which post it was but somebody mentioned the Burger Chef at 73 and 70... The "ruins" of it are still there hidden in the weeds if you go and look for it in the form of the tile floor. It'll be destroyed with the interchange though, so anybody that wants to see it, better do so soon.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
One thing she wanted me to ask the board is that if anybody remembers an Italian takeout place somewhere west of the circle on 70 on the left side (westbound). She recalls it was run by an old Italian woman in a little house, from which they would serve food. From what she remembers they had the best spaghetti and would appreciate of anybody could tell her what the name of the woman was, the name of the "store", and what the story was there. She isn't sure, but believes it was torn down and replaced with an A&P, or there was an A&P nearby

The woman was Mrs. Pettilino or Pettilini (sp?) I think the restaurant was just called Pettilino's or Pettilini's
My father used to eat there in the 60's with co-workers who would run there from Gibbsboro. I remember the low one story being there into the 1970's on the north side of Route 70
My father always raved about the food too.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Italian food anyone????

.....the location (I believe) is the small building on the right, traveling west....just before the shopping center where the A & P used to be. The building was a Mexican restaurant forever in my time (could still be for all I know)......
This will tell you you are old if you can remember the Sinclair gas station on 70 right where the Mexican Food Factory is located. If you remember that you are old like me
.........ooooops! Maybe not!

Mts83 ~She also recalls having kindergarten classes in a church on Main St. (not sure which),

I think the only church on Main Street is the Wiley Church....
There was a Church on Plymouth Ave. in Heritage, and another one at the intersection past Heritage (catholic) and the Old Marlton School on Maple.....

The old Railroad station was at the present location of the McDonalds on Rt. 70.....across from the cows! (see Guy's barn photos in this post #47) It was then moved across the street from the entrance to Kings Grant where it fell into decrepid conditions on a flatbed trailer until it disappeared.
Oh well.......

turtle

I think the only church on Main Street is the Wiley Church....
There was a Church on Plymouth Ave. in Heritage, and another one at the intersection past Heritage (catholic) and the Old Marlton School on Maple.....

Turtle:

The former Marlton Baptist Church still sits adjacent to Main Street, although the edifice now belongs to another denomination/congregation. In addition, the Methodist Episcopal Church once stood at 43 East Main Street until the congregants constructed the new one off Plymouth Drive. Wiley Church began as a Methodist Episcopal Church in Camden, but the congregation separated itself from the denomination and became an independent religious body. Sometime during the 1930s, the church moved to Marlton and by 1940 became involved in caring for the elderly.

The old Railroad station was at the present location of the McDonalds on Rt. 70.....across from the cows! (see Guy's barn photos in this post #47) It was then moved across the street from the entrance to Kings Grant where it fell into decrepid conditions on a flatbed trailer until it disappeared.
Oh well.......

The railroad station you refer to was the Cropwell Station, which the Burroughs family used for many years as a farmstand before its relocation to Kings Grant near the old cranberry shed. By that time, its condition was quite precarious.

Reminiscing is a wonderful portal into history!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
coordinated efforts....

Jerseyman,
If I shake my head and dump out all the stuff that Guy dredges up in my memory bank will you keep putting it in neat little organized piles ?
:D

turtle

***random BTW ~ When I was 6 yrs. old I was staying at a friend's house overnight right behind the M.E. church on Plymouth. There was a freaky, scary thunderstorm and the BIG tree next to the church was struck by lightning and fell..... (what noise!) We spent all night watching the fire and police lights from her bedroom window.....ahhhhh..... random reminiscing!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman and All,

You are absolutely correct concerning the Methodist Church being located at 43 E. Main and then purchasing the old home on Plymouth Drive. I was a member of that church as a kid before and after that occurred, and have a few photo's of our sunday school class lined up on the outside wall at 43 E. Main. I quickly looked for it and can't find it, but I will post that before the end of the day today.

Also Jerseyman, I have corresponded for quite a few years with Cecil Gilmore who's family founded the Wiley Church, and in an email to me dated 11/26/2000 he writes...

I was born on Kresson Road, where St. Mary's Nursing Home is now located, right off of Springdale Road. That was where Wiley Mission had the first farm before moving to Marlton when I was about 18 months old.

Mr. Gilmore is a wealth of information on Marlton and he has helped me out on many occasions.

The Marlton Station was located along 70 near N. Maple.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This photo is of 43 E. Main Street in 1963. My mom taught Sunday School there with Edna Wirth and Edna Wells. You may recognize Edna Wirth’s name as she is the daughter of Maurice Horner the historian who wrote the book “A History Of Evesham Township.” Edna Wirth was an historian herself as is her daughter Deloris. They lived on Brick Road close to 73.

I am not in the photo since I believe I took the photo with a camera I received for my birthday or maybe the previous Christmas. There are two people at this moment who’s name I can remember. One is Andrew Sees who is under the window hunched over with the checkered tie in the front. Right behind him to the right is Zackary Taylor. And now that I am thinking the girl with the black hair in the back to the left of the drain I believe is Susan Schusler who’s parents house was next to Nieuw Amsterdam Apartments until the house next to it now was moved to that location by truck. It now is the second house from the apartments on N. Maple. Andrew Sees grew up somewhere near Cherokee or in the Kettle Run Road area. I know that generally because when in Evans School one year he got mad at something and left the school and we all sat in class watching him walk home across the corn fields that are now the location of the hospital. I came home and told my mom and she knew generally where he lived.

mc.jpg

This photo is from inside the church hall or whatever they called it. Andrew Sees can be viewed on the left between the two girls. Most of these children would be six or 7 years old.

mc1.jpg

BTW, when the church moved the building was renovated and called the “Bonsill Building.” That spelling may be wrong.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
For those of you who travel through the Marlton Circle, here is the plan for improvements.

Updating this old thread. If you haven't been out this way for awhile, you might not recognize the place. The Rt 73 overpass is taking shape. Here's what it looked like a couple days ago from the stoplight on Eastbound Rt 70 (next to Olga's)

marlton.jpg