Marlton Circle

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Indeed... didn't take a lot of work to find this...

Hah! Eminent domain it, I say... smooth traffic flow is a higher & better use than a shopping center. Must say, I don't find the "improvements" at the old Berlin circle all that great.

Along the line of TeeGates comments, it reminded my of a drive in the pines some years back after being away at college. I used to take a dirt road from the back side of Berlin to Medford Lakes, which ran thru what I believe is now Kings Grant. Anyhow, they had turned the area into a golf course. I think the gofers were as surprised as I was when I came cruising out onto the course in a canary yellow karman ghia!

amf

Guh, I second that the Berlin Circle solution is a bit of a mess, but at least it's a consistent mess now that the construction ended.

The school I work at had a janitor named Mr. Bill, who recently passed away. He'd grown up right along 73 for nearly his whole life (his house is just past Kresson Lake). He could remember driving a tractor down Rt 73 without any problems, which was Milford Rd at the time. That boggled my mind when I was younger...

Voorhees is due to be build out by next year, every square inch of non-protected land will be used up. That also boggles my mind.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I work in West Berlin. I have always been used to the circle from getting my license and on. I never thought it was a big deal. People are too wimpy about circles. I say, welcome to N.J. babe.
I love going out somewhere and hear out of staters declare the madness of a circle. I think Marlton is O.K. with 73 passing through and actually have never had a problem with Red Lion. I have taken many a person around his/her first circle to their confusion and amazement.
I will say this. That which leads to and from Berlin circle has improved greatly but the "fix" they gave to the circle itself is a ClusterF***!
Mostly it can be navigated yes if you feel like going here there and everywhere to get to the most simple point. It's like a Rube Goldberg device.
On the whole it may be safer except for one serious hazard. Try coming from 73 North, starting from the far right at the light leading to Crosskeys, starting from the light try to get to Canal's, Advanced Auto, or the street there and see the 561 traffic bear down on you. I have personally witnessed contact of vehicles and many near misses. It even bottlenecks the merge itself of 561 & 73. Very bad layout.
If you are coming from the South and need to access any business right where the circle was... very bad. I have one friend who had to move his business. No one would dare come in his lot anymore.I am not really sure I would say it was a good fix completely. I suppose Long-A-Coming may have seen some of these issues as well.

g.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
BOHICA.... work has just begun on the Marlton Circle project :dance:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20090409/NEWS01/904090337&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

April 9, 2009

Marlton Circle project kicks off

By BRIDGET SMITH
Courier-Post Staff

Work is expected to begin today on the elimination of Marlton Circle.

A handful of state, county and local officials were on hand Wednesday for the ceremonial start of the long-awaited project to replace the heavily traveled, accident-prone interchange at the junction of routes 70 and 73.

"This is a great day," Mayor Randy Brown said during the ceremony outside the former Bob's Seafood on Route 73.

The centerpiece of the $63 million, state and federally funded project, is construction of an overpass that will carry Route 73 over Route 70.

Road construction is still weeks away, DOT spokesman Tim Greeley said Tuesday, but contractors will arrive in the coming days to install signs and prepare for excavation.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

I grew up there when the original circle was still around. During the summer on Friday nights and Saturdays the traffic would stop dead for hours. I worked in the Sunoco on 73 across from what is now Canals, and on those days the overheats were plentiful. Our parking lot would be filled with them. I lived in the development behind the Sunoco and the people stuck in traffic would try anything to avoid the circle backing up the streets in the surrounding developments. The new circle eliminated that somewhat, but my mom and her neighbors are expecting this summer to be a tough one.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have been avoiding that area at all costs for the past few years. Definitely won't be going anywhere near there until this project is done (even though it's the shortest route to one of the places I work).

My sympathy to anybody who has to pass through there, it ain't gonna be pretty!

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Marlton Circle....

Anyone remember Skipper's?

I worked in the Sunoco on 73 across from what is now Canals, and on those days the overheats were plentiful.

Guy, do you recall a Shell or BP station being across 73 from the Sunoco...? Last I read, Olga's is closed. I used to go from Maple Ave. through the apple orchards to Woodstream by horse....right across 73. In first grade the nuns took us on a field trip to the warehouse to see how cider was made and to pick apples.....then again, we walked to Savage's for ice cream as a class trip too (another story)

From PinesExplorer - I vauguely remember some hippies squatting in one on Cropwell Road (across from a farm house - family I think was named Haines).
I went to school with two of the Haines who lived there they were really nice. The house across the street was white with a dark roof and green shutters (this is a 40+ yr. memory)....and I remember an older woman being there in 1968 that I would stop by and talk while riding my bike......unless it was a hippie and I was too young to know the difference :confused:. I do remember that house being abandoned for a LONG time later.

Route 70 as a cement highway....remember? How about no traffic lights on 73 between the two cirlces? At Kresson there was a brick front store next to the bank on 73. Across 73 there was an old house (still there, I think to the right of the stereo/music store). The house and the bf store were both on the east side of 73 and early in the 1900s the bf store was moved across to the west side of 73. I was told this by the family who owned it and I'm sorry that I am randomly rambling.......:words:

Anyhow....I vote not to use the Marlton Circle if possible..... and bring back the cows.

Turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone remember Skipper's?

Guy, do you recall a Shell or BP station being across 73 from the Sunoco...? Last I read, Olga's is closed. I used to go from Maple Ave. through the apple orchards to Woodstream by horse....right across 73. In first grade the nuns took us on a field trip to the warehouse to see how cider was made and to pick apples.....then again, we walked to Savage's for ice cream as a class trip too (another story)

I went to school with two of the Haines who lived there they were really nice. The house across the street was white with a dark roof and green shutters (this is a 40+ yr. memory)....and I remember an older woman being there in 1968 that I would stop by and talk while riding my bike......unless it was a hippie and I was too young to know the difference :confused:. I do remember that house being abandoned for a LONG time later.

Route 70 as a cement highway....remember? How about no traffic lights on 73 between the two cirlces? At Kresson there was a brick front store next to the bank on 73. Across 73 there was an old house (still there, I think to the right of the stereo/music store). The house and the bf store were both on the east side of 73 and early in the 1900s the bf store was moved across to the west side of 73. I was told this by the family who owned it and I'm sorry that I am randomly rambling.......:words:

Anyhow....I vote not to use the Marlton Circle if possible..... and bring back the cows.

Turtle

Skippers if I recall burned down. It was a seafood establishment. As for the BP beng across from the Sunoco, I think you are refering to the Route 70 Sunoco and not the 73. Across from the 73 Sunoco where I worked was Mrs. London's Palm Reader. Before that it was a private home, and after the Palm Reader burned down and was rebuilt it was a vet.

This will tell you you are old if you can remember the Sinclair gas station on 70 right where the Mexican Food Factory is located. If you remember that you are old like me :)

Remember the dinosaur on the Sinclair stations?

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/dino-sinclair-gas-station-kathy-chandler.html

Not only is Olga's closed it is for sale.

Did you know the Hall family in Marlboro? They had horses and rode them through the orchard and a few times past my house.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
I saw the construction signs last Saturday, i wanted to take Main Street in Marlton to Tuckerton Road to Carranza, when i went to Devious, i haven't gone that way in a long time. There were also yellow flags in the Rt.73 median strip north of the Circle.

Yes i remember the Sinclair Station and the Dinosaur, and also the Palm Reader.

Is the 1844 House on Main Street a good place to eat ?

Jim

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Judy Hall was my age....another kind person from our neck of the woods! My friend Laurie boarded her horse (Sam) at the Hall's.....so did Gene Hart (Phila. Flyers announcer). I rode a few times with Laurie from there to our house in Woodstream. Horses love apples. The rides were fun and obviously memorable. Are the Hall's still there?

I could have sworn there was a gas station on or at the circle across from the Sunoco....hmmmm.

Turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Judy Hall was my age....another kind person from our neck of the woods! My friend Laurie boarded her horse (Sam) at the Hall's.....so did Gene Hart (Phila. Flyers announcer). I rode a few times with Laurie from there to our house in Woodstream. Horses love apples. The rides were fun and obviously memorable. Are the Hall's still there?

I could have sworn there was a gas station on or at the circle across from the Sunoco....hmmmm.

Turtle

The stations on the circle were Petits Arco, Bolly Brothers Golf, and Carty's Esso and then Exxon. That was the first to go. Mr Carty had a stroke and his son who at the time was a "hippy" tried to keep it going, but he was not like his old man. My Carty had his nose torn off walking around the back of a plumbing truck while pumping gas. The next day he was back at work.

The Sunoco on 73 was Shusterman's who later moved to the small gas station on the curve in town. I helped them move and we took the soda machine and a few other non important items in his truck. Then the Sunoco was leased by Frank Laye who I worked for. He lived in Lindenwold and then divorced his wife and moved in with Pat Paradise from Princess Ave in Evesboro West. They moved to the Holly Bush development on Oak Shade Road when it was first built. Later they married and then divorced. The last I heard he was in Texas.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
so did Gene Hart (Phila. Flyers announcer). I rode a few times with Laurie from there to our house in Woodstream.

This is getting OT, but I had the privilege of working with Gene Hart for several years - what a genuinely nice guy. After his career as an announcer he became a very active volunteer at the Opera Company of Philadelphia where I work. Many years ago he went to an opera while he was on the road and he liked it. So throughout his career, when he went to another city he would try to catch the local opera while he was there.

He always had great stories to tell and was a terrific speaker. What a loss, I really miss him...

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Shusterman's Sunoco on Main St..... Mr. was my softball coach for a short time and his daughter (Karen?) played as well. Wow, haven't heard that name for a while. My brother worked a stint at the Sunoco on 70 in the 70s.
I think I am thinking of the gulf station.....wow again...what DON'T you remember? :)

Turtle

p.s. Did Mr. Carty's son squat in the old house on Cropwell????

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Shusterman's Sunoco on Main St..... Mr. was my softball coach for a short time and his daughter (Karen?) played as well. Wow, haven't heard that name for a while. My brother worked a stint at the Sunoco on 70 in the 70s.
I think I am thinking of the gulf station.....wow again...what DON'T you remember? :)

Turtle

p.s. Did Mr. Carty's son squat in the old house on Cropwell????

I am not sure where he lived. I always thought he owned that Corvette place on the White Horse Pike near Atco but was just guessing at that. BTW, it was Schusterman and McDowell (SP??).

I was at the Sunoco on 73 when I was much younger and was really thirsty. They had those water coolers with the large bottle on top and I pushed the button and put my mouth under it and he caught me. He could yell :)

Guy