Martha Furnace on Tuckerton Rd.?

In a book I borrowed from my brother-in-law called "Closed Sea" by Kent Mountford, this illustration appears:
abf.sized.jpg

I've never seen Martha Furnace's layout illustrated before and I find it very interesting. Notice though that the road in front of Martha is called Tuckerton Rd. Most maps I've seen call it Martha Furnace Rd. Until this week I had never seen it called Tuckerton. Now I've seen it in the above mentioned book and in a book I just recieved today from an ebay auction called "South Jersey Towns" by William McMahon.
Does anyone know of a map that shows the entire Tuckerton Rd.?

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have never noticed that before, but it seems odd that the map seems to show the Tuckerton road ending there. If that is true I would assume the map is wrong. Wouldn't it go to Tuckerton? Unless the Tuckerton road continues toward the bottom of the map going toward Harrisville.

Guy

This is a map from 1856:

abg.sized.jpg

I have traced the road that I believe is Tuckerton Rd (opened to criticism).
My edu-guess is that it ran from Marlton (or farther west) to Washington and continued on present day Iron Pipe Rd and through Jenkins and somewhere cut over to pesent day Rt 679 and then present day Stage Rd which takes you to Tuckerton. Cooks atlas #16 seems to confirm this.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
not to get off the subject but I notice Sooys tavern is definitely not washington tavern but is dwon further below harrisville on east side of wading near Bodines field ,Beaver branch area.This was mentioned on another thread,thought I"d bring it up.Nice map by the way.
Al

manumuskin said:
not to get off the subject but I notice Sooys tavern is definitely not washington tavern but is dwon further below harrisville on east side of wading near Bodines field ,Beaver branch area.This was mentioned on another thread,thought I"d bring it up.Nice map by the way.
Al

I believe I read somewhere that Sooy had owned both places. I could be wrong though.

Steve

B

BarryC

I haven't looked into the subject today, but if I'm not mistaken, John Pearce writes all about the Tuckerton Road in Heart of the Pines. Maybe this thread could be started in my site as well, and John could contribute his 2¢ (or more), since he is a member there.
BEHR655 said:
In a book I borrowed from my brother-in-law called "Closed Sea" by Kent Mountford, this illustration appears:
abf.sized.jpg

I've never seen Martha Furnace's layout illustrated before and I find it very interesting. Notice though that the road in front of Martha is called Tuckerton Rd. Most maps I've seen call it Martha Furnace Rd. Until this week I had never seen it called Tuckerton. Now I've seen it in the above mentioned book and in a book I just recieved today from an ebay auction called "South Jersey Towns" by William McMahon.
Does anyone know of a map that shows the entire Tuckerton Rd.?

Steve

B

BarryC

Actually what we call the Washington Tavern was called Sooy's or Sooy's Inn. When there was a post office there it was called Sooy's Inn. But I believe Sooy owned another tavern or more. I believe all this is also discussed in Heart of the Pines.
manumuskin said:
Al

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BarryC said:
I haven't looked into the subject today, but if I'm not mistaken, John Pearce writes all about the Tuckerton Road in Heart of the Pines. Maybe this thread could be started in my site as well, and John could contribute his 2¢ (or more), since he is a member there.

If he replies, post what he says back here because I'd be interested to know.

B

bach2yoga

Shees, I wish I'd checked this thread before now, I saw him today at the Whitesbog Festival.
Renee

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben,

John gave an hour talk and slide show to me and my wife and just 4 other people in the room at White's Bogs today. It was open to all, but the rain kept people away. He is a really nice man, I immediately warmed to him, he is my kind of people. He talked about Green Bank and Lower Bank mostly, but he really showed interest on the subject of old roads. He explored a lot of them while researching his book. At one point he had an 1870 map up that showed the tuckerton road, and it went well south of Martha, which he confirmed.

The amount of history in his head is simply amazing, and you can tell he really loves it.........

bob

Bob,

I'd love to see that map, wish I had been there. Yesterday KenDawg and I were on what the DeLorme Atlas shows as Tuckerton Rd. Most other maps I've seen call it Sooy Rd. Coming from the stables at Washington we turned right at the Washington Tavern and then made the first left off of that road. This road shows as Sooy Rd on my Magellan GPS and other maps I've seen but shows as Tuckerton Rd on the DeLorme Atlas. We followed this across Rt 563 and across another dirt road for a short distance until we were stopped by a mud puddle. We back tracked to the other road and took it to Ridge Rd (which Tuckerton and/or Sooy Rd would have died into anyway a short distance from where we turned around). Ridge Rd took us to Rt 542.
While we were on Tuckerton and/or Sooy Rd we were stopped by a fallen tree across the road. The tree had approximately an 8" diameter. Ken and I took turns with my hatchet and I am pleased to say that section of road is now clear. Sorry, we did not have 2 tons of gravel with us to take care of the mud pit further down the road.

Steve

Here is a hand-drawn 1863 map of the Tuckerton Road passing through the Pines along with other roads and streams in the area:

aaa.sized.jpg

This colonial highway actually began in today's Cherry Hill near Haddonfield at the end of the Cooper's Creek Road.

I hope this aids you in understanding the old Tuckerton Road as it passed through the Pine Barrens.