Martha Furnace on Tuckerton Rd.?

B

bach2yoga

BobM said:
I must be missing something. Which road on the map you posted is the Tuckerton Road?

If you look at the map Steve posted earlier and compare them, it looks like it is the road that runs through Washington on about 135 degree angle headed southeast, the road that is more
ESE than SSE. Is that it?

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
BobM said:
I must be missing something. Which road on the map you posted is the Tuckerton Road?

On the map that Jerseyman posted it looks like the road that is shown coming out of Batsto that looks serated. Present day 542? Seems too far south.

That looks like a different road to me than the red one on your map? It looks too far south to me too.

B

bach2yoga

I just refered to Old Inns and Taverns in West Jersey by Charles S Boyer, and the road he shows on the map as leading to Tuckerton runs through Wahington headed almost directly southeast, runs under Harrisville, ending in Tuckerton,and on the map Jerseyman posted runs through an area with some handwriting I cannot distinguish "disc..." with writing New Gretna and Bass River right above it. That would agree with the location of Martha Furnace in relation to Harrisville, wouldn't it?
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Here's an interesting tidbit: I have Marilyn's map (which I know is not an authority) but she shows 2 different Tuckerton Roads--one corresponds with Behr's red line except that where he shows a bend to the east at the bottom, she shows that bend as Iron pipe meeting Tuckerton, and Tuckerton continuing on a little more SSE and coming out onto Rt 563 south of Iron pipe road about 1/4" :p (i.e., somewhere around 2/3-3/4 mile south of iron pipe road.) The other Tuckerton Road she shows as also being called Chatsworth-Little Hawkins-Andrew's Road. She doesn't have a route number, but it runs to the east of 563 and merges into 563 about a quarter to half mile before Chatsworth intersection of 563 and 532.

BobM said:

BobM:

Sorry I did not mark the map to indicate Tuckerton Road--I just thought everyone would recognize it. Here is an annotated copy of the map that shows Tuckerton Road in red:

aac.sized.jpg

If you have a modern Burlington County map, this road would begin at the western county line as County Route (CR) 600; out past Marlton, it becomes CR 620 and remains that number until Pipers Corner, when it becomes CR 622; at Route 206, CR 622 ends, but crossing Route 206, the unnumbered roadway continues down through Hampton Gate, High Crossing, crosses the Batona Trail, and continues its southeasterly course until it draws near to the confluence of the West and East Branch of the Wading River. In the preceeding section, it is known as Hampton Gate Road and Iron Pipe Road. Today the road turns southward after crossing CR 563 and and travels along the south side of the Wading River, but at one time, it continued straight across the Wading River and linked up with CR 679 (Chatsworth-Harrisville Road). It remained on CR 679 until just below Ives Branch, when it switched over to today's Stage Road until it entered Tuckerton. For those seeking information on traveling this road in the early part of the nineteenth century, I would suggest reading Sara Thomson's 1809 journal in Shore Chronicles.

BEHR655 said:
Then it looks like I was correct in my previous post with the 1856 map.

Absolutely! My intention of posting the manuscript map was to provide a yet another view from the nineteenth century. I thought others would find the communities and side roads of interest. To tell you the truth, I totally missed your descriptive text material that accompanied your map and it looks like I repeated most of what you wrote! Sorry for the duplication.

B

bach2yoga

That also corresponds with the map in Charles Boyer's book.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Jerseyman,

That goes along with John said that day. He pointed out that the reason the road was south of 563 was they did not like hills at all in those days. In fact, he said the old bridge remnamts may still be visible just south of the Harrisville ruins where there is a small island in the middle of the stream.

Another interesting thing he pointed out: it was not uncommon for the roads to become very saturated with water because of the travel in this low ground, so they would just move the road over to the next dry section, be it 10 feet or 40 feet or whatever. He said you can still see that in some areas, where there are 3 roads in a row. I have seen this before, but never made the connection.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have canoed both the wading and the oswego in totality and remember seeing bridge remains on the lower wading below eveans bridge and I believe but am not sure that I saw remains on the oswego below harrisville bfore it joins with the wading.Could anyone pinpoint these locations on a map?I may have to take the gps and do both sections to locate them.Could wooden bridge remains from this period were talking about roughly 150 years ago still be visible today?These remains appear to be cedar and I know cedar tends to last a long time.Can it last that long?
Al

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
According to John Pierce, there are remains of a dam for Martha furnace still pretty much intact on the Wading River, just under the surface of the water. That means that you're looking at 150+ year old wood still intact.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That dam can be viewed in the Members Gallery in Dogratty's album. Here is the link.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

His photo shows the dam intact, but on my trip a few months ago the far end in the photo had been what I am assuming damaged on purpose to allow kayaks and canoes to go around the dam without having to go over it. The photo in the above link clearly shows the water flowing over it which it was not doing when I was there. Maybe when the water level is really high it may go over it, but I am not confident of that.

Guy